PDA

View Full Version : Alien Film Series ***SPOILERS ALLOWED***

TheSmokingMan
May 19th, 2017, 11:00 PM
This thread is for people like me who just can't seem to get enough of the Alien films.
If you're an Alien Vs. Predator fan, good for you. But those films are certainly not "canon" and aren't meant to be discussed here.
This is a spoiler free thread for the discussion of the films: Prometheus, Alien: Covenant, Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, and Alien Resurrection.
I look forward to seeing where this goes :)

robertd2001
June 30th, 2017, 01:57 AM
This thread is for people like me who just can't seem to get enough of the Alien films.
If you're an Alien Vs. Predator fan, good for you. But those films are certainly not "canon" and aren't meant to be discussed here.
This is a spoiler free thread for the discussion of the films: Prometheus, Alien: Covenant, Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, and Alien Resurrection.
I look forward to seeing where this goes :)

I thought Covenant was great, but not quit as good as Prometheus. I'm not sure I liked their explanation of where the xenomorphs came from.

Romulus_
June 30th, 2017, 12:34 PM
I haven't seen Prometheus but I read the plot and it seems cool, but I really liked Covenant. I also haven't watched Aliens yet but I get to watch it today! I really like the franchise from what I've seen so far, and I heard theres supposed to be three more movies that link Covenant and the original Alien together

robertd2001
July 6th, 2017, 11:53 PM
So did you end up watching Aliens, and what you think?

Romulus_
July 8th, 2017, 04:00 PM
So did you end up watching Aliens, and what you think?

I did end up watching it and it was awesome! I liked it even more than the original. There wasn't as much suspense or horror as the original, but all the actions and effects are so good. I kinda wish they made a spinoff movie which showed how the colony was attacked and how they tried to fend of the aliens, I think that would make for a good film.

TheSmokingMan
July 8th, 2017, 10:15 PM
I thought Covenant was great, but not quit as good as Prometheus. I'm not sure I liked their explanation of where the xenomorphs came from.

I knew that was going to be a point of contention... However... I think the sequel (Alien: Awakening????) will help out even more. Prometheus was another film that was a masterstroke. These prequels have REALLY added depth and substance to what was essentially a sophisticated 70s slasher. By the way, have you seen any of the fan art? That stuff is AMAZING.
I have the soundtrack to Covenant on the way.
That was another impressive fact of Covenant. The music was OUTSTANDING. You can see even in the musical ideas how they are trying to link everything together from Prometheus. OH MAN. Such good stuff :)

TheSmokingMan
July 8th, 2017, 10:20 PM
I haven't seen Prometheus but I read the plot and it seems cool, but I really liked Covenant. I also haven't watched Aliens yet but I get to watch it today! I really like the franchise from what I've seen so far, and I heard theres supposed to be three more movies that link Covenant and the original Alien together

I did end up watching it and it was awesome! I liked it even more than the original. There wasn't as much suspense or horror as the original, but all the actions and effects are so good. I kinda wish they made a spinoff movie which showed how the colony was attacked and how they tried to fend of the aliens, I think that would make for a good film.

Definitely check out Prometheus.
A lot of things that happened in Covenant will really "click".
Besides, then you'll truly experience the shock value of David's character development. That was a punchy part of Covenant. I loved seeing him evolve/devolve (how ever you look at it...).

And I'm glad to hear that you liked Aliens.
In my opinion the Alien "canon" ends there. I do not agree with Alien 3 and Resurrection. I mean, they are enjoyable as films, but I love these sophisticated films that Ridley Scott is producing these days and I want that vision and direction for the series.
And I agree. A film in between Alien and Aliens would help out a LOT. Besides, Ripley is in hypersleep for quite a long time in between Alien and Aliens. SO, there is quite a bit of potential for a new trilogy even perhaps.
Very interesting to speculate.

I do highly recommend Prometheus though.

Romulus_
July 8th, 2017, 10:32 PM
Definitely check out Prometheus.
A lot of things that happened in Covenant will really "click".
Besides, then you'll truly experience the shock value of David's character development. That was a punchy part of Covenant. I loved seeing him evolve/devolve (how ever you look at it...).

And I'm glad to hear that you liked Aliens.
In my opinion the Alien "canon" ends there. I do not agree with Alien 3 and Resurrection. I mean, they are enjoyable as films, but I love these sophisticated films that Ridley Scott is producing these days and I want that vision and direction for the series.
And I agree. A film in between Alien and Aliens would help out a LOT. Besides, Ripley is in hypersleep for quite a long time in between Alien and Aliens. SO, there is quite a bit of potential for a new trilogy even perhaps.
Very interesting to speculate.

I do highly recommend Prometheus though.
Yeah I have heard negative things about Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection, and that's not even mentioning the Alien v. Predator stuff XD And I agree Ridley Scott is such a good director I loved The Martian and Alien Covenant, and of course the original Alien.
It really would be a good idea, there is 57 years in between the events aboard the Nostromo and the events of Aliens, I think they could delve more into the motives of Weyland Corporation and make a really interesting thriller revolving around the struggle to survive after the attack on the colony. IDK if there would be enough for a trilogy, but there is definitely enough potential material for another one or two really good movies.

P.S. Thanks for the friend request by the way ;D

TheSmokingMan
July 8th, 2017, 10:44 PM
Yeah I have heard negative things about Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection, and that's not even mentioning the Alien v. Predator stuff XD And I agree Ridley Scott is such a good director I loved The Martian and Alien Covenant, and of course the original Alien.
It really would be a good idea, there is 57 years in between the events aboard the Nostromo and the events of Aliens, I think they could delve more into the motives of Weyland Corporation and make a really interesting thriller revolving around the struggle to survive after the attack on the colony. IDK if there would be enough for a trilogy, but there is definitely enough potential material for another one or two really good movies.

P.S. Thanks for the friend request by the way ;D

(You're welcome for the request. A friend of the Alien series is one of mine ;))

57 years is EXACTLY why I think they could crank another trilogy or so in there. There are only 10 years in between Prometheus and Covenant, and there will be no time in between Covenant and Awakening(???). At least none that we have been made aware of so far.

There is definitely more potential for like conspiracy theories/intrigue/political thriller type stories where they Weyland company is plotting to get this creature. Hopefully we get at least a modicum of their motivations in this next installment (Awakening??). They have to learn that the creature exists and realize the potential it has as that is the "big reveal" in the first "Alien" movie.

And do not get me started on the AVP shit...
I'm sorry if I just smeared something you love, but I think the AVP films are garbage. I do not find that to be a viable option for the origin of the xenomorph. It deserves something much more substantial like we saw in Covenant. I thought Covenant was the ideal alien film and delivered on just about every front but that was just me. I so highly praised that film on social media. I think my Facebook friends were tired of Alien Covenant in their newsfeed.
My only regret is that I couldn't see it 3 times.
Oh well. It comes out on DVD in 5 weeks.

Romulus_
July 8th, 2017, 11:03 PM
(You're welcome for the request. A friend of the Alien series is one of mine ;))

57 years is EXACTLY why I think they could crank another trilogy or so in there. There are only 10 years in between Prometheus and Covenant, and there will be no time in between Covenant and Awakening(???). At least none that we have been made aware of so far.

There is definitely more potential for like conspiracy theories/intrigue/political thriller type stories where they Weyland company is plotting to get this creature. Hopefully we get at least a modicum of their motivations in this next installment (Awakening??). They have to learn that the creature exists and realize the potential it has as that is the "big reveal" in the first "Alien" movie.

And do not get me started on the AVP shit...
I'm sorry if I just smeared something you love, but I think the AVP films are garbage. I do not find that to be a viable option for the origin of the xenomorph. It deserves something much more substantial like we saw in Covenant. I thought Covenant was the ideal alien film and delivered on just about every front but that was just me. I so highly praised that film on social media. I think my Facebook friends were tired of Alien Covenant in their newsfeed.
My only regret is that I couldn't see it 3 times.
Oh well. It comes out on DVD in 5 weeks.
No you're fine lol, I've never seen the AvP movies, but I have seen Predator and Alien, and I have no desire to see them both in a film haha. And yeah we need to find out more about the Weyland Corporation: How they found out about the Alien, what they want to do with it, etc. I like how Covenant sort of hinted at it at the beginning, and I hope the next few movies between Covenant and the Original explain it fully.

TheSmokingMan
July 8th, 2017, 11:09 PM
No you're fine lol, I've never seen the AvP movies, but I have seen Predator and Alien, and I have no desire to see them both in a film haha. And yeah we need to find out more about the Weyland Corporation: How they found out about the Alien, what they want to do with it, etc. I like how Covenant sort of hinted at it at the beginning, and I hope the next few movies between Covenant and the Original explain it fully.

YES!
Thank God...
A kindred spirit in the way of AVP. LOL...
I just can't take the crapstorm that is "Alien Vs. Predator".
Predator is a fantastic film though. Just leave them out of my xenomorphs :) :yeah:

I totally agree.
I think that Ridley Scott himself is figuring it out as well to be honest. He has said that he has anywhere from 3-6 movies that may or may not include Prometheus planned that lead into the original.
I don't know what the actual plan is as he has dropped different numbers in different interviews. But I DO think that he has a wild ride planned out for us and that he intends to do his best to cover everything. In comparison to other entries, Covenant covers a really small timeframe. Only a day. Or MAYBE two. I feel like we are going to get a lot more storyline in the future installments.

I would defiantly pay to see 6 more movies from THIS POINT on. He is creating such a masterful sci-fi epic.

Romulus_
July 8th, 2017, 11:25 PM
YES!
Thank God...
A kindred spirit in the way of AVP. LOL...
I just can't take the crapstorm that is "Alien Vs. Predator".
Predator is a fantastic film though. Just leave them out of my xenomorphs :) :yeah:

I totally agree.
I think that Ridley Scott himself is figuring it out as well to be honest. He has said that he has anywhere from 3-6 movies that may or may not include Prometheus planned that lead into the original.
I don't know what the actual plan is as he has dropped different numbers in different interviews. But I DO think that he has a wild ride planned out for us and that he intends to do his best to cover everything. In comparison to other entries, Covenant covers a really small timeframe. Only a day. Or MAYBE two. I feel like we are going to get a lot more storyline in the future installments.

I would defiantly pay to see 6 more movies from THIS POINT on. He is creating such a masterful sci-fi epic.
Me too I'll happily go and see the other movies that Ridley has planned out in the future. There is so much room for backstory and Scott is such a talented director and visionary that I think he can continue to produce quality Alien films and create a vast universe for his franchise.

TheSmokingMan
July 10th, 2017, 10:00 PM
Who needs some good Alien Soundtrack music in their life tonight?
Ponder with me...

"Life" ~ from 'Prometheus'
Conducive to deep thought.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzI3AdpA9e4

"Incubation" ~ from 'Alien Covenant'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwFa-w8h4oQ&list=PLfzW_wEeYxk6BOn3-Ff309al2je0-TTn1

"The Medbay" ~ from 'Alien Covenant'
I dare you all to listen to this one alone in the dark...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh_o19X5D2g&list=PLfzW_wEeYxk6BOn3-Ff309al2je0-TTn1&index=10

"Chestburster" ~ from 'Alien Covenant'
Also conducive to deep thought.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP5NzyaGZxM&index=17&list=PLfzW_wEeYxk6BOn3-Ff309al2je0-TTn1l