PDA

View Full Version : Comprehensive Exam

Jacksonx
May 18th, 2017, 06:16 AM
Hey has anyone ever had a comprehensive exam? I got the doctors next tuesday and they said it would take at least 3 hours to do all of their tests. What's it involve?

mick01
May 18th, 2017, 10:27 AM
Wow, that's a really long time. Are you going to a doctors office or a hospital? In the doctors office, there's only so many tests they can do.

Jacksonx
May 18th, 2017, 10:35 AM
I was told I'd have to go to the hospital because they want to do s fully body X-ray and MRI

LiveLifePreppy
May 18th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Wait why are you going? I have never done this before. If there is an issue or a good reason then go ahead and do it but i wouldnt go get all of these tests and xrays etc. if they are unnecessary... dont want to expose yourself to unnecessary radiation

mick01
May 18th, 2017, 01:33 PM
I've had a full body scan and it took a while. Plus you're having the other tests done so I can see why they told you it would take so long. But if you're parents are ok with it, I guess you have to do it. Good luck with whatever it's for.

Jacksonx
May 18th, 2017, 03:09 PM
Wait why are you going? I have never done this before. If there is an issue or a good reason then go ahead and do it but i wouldnt go get all of these tests and xrays etc. if they are unnecessary... dont want to expose yourself to unnecessary radiation

I was told it's just to make sure I'm healthy.

Alex_Swim
May 18th, 2017, 03:46 PM
My Normal Exam @ Doc is about 45mins ~1hr total from when I go in till, I leave, and he tells dad what dad needs to know.

I have a slight Heart Echo, Go to carologist once a year, that Appt take about 3-4hrs.
But they do Ultrasounds, Sometimes a MRI, hook me up to EKG and have me run on a treadmill for 30-45 mins. Actually time with Doc is like 20mins, Rest is with his staff, or "waiting" for something to happen.

ska8er
May 18th, 2017, 08:12 PM
Comprehensive takes in ur general overall physical
exam from ear-eyes-nose and throat-cardio-lungs-
gastrointestinal-kidneys. This may include some
x-rays and blood tests.

Harrier
May 18th, 2017, 10:22 PM
I can't even imagine a 3hr exam! I'd go insane! Why? Are you like always sick?

scott2002
May 18th, 2017, 11:15 PM
I was told I'd have to go to the hospital because they want to do s fully body X-ray and MRI
Of course you don't have to share anything with us, but it sounds like you must have a fairly serious illness going on. I have NEVER heard of any kid having to have stuff done like that who is currently not really sick with something serious.

nicktheman2003
May 19th, 2017, 12:20 AM
Never had one.
Good luck to you.

camo115
May 19th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Make sure you understand whats happening and can make your own decisions where you can. This is totally not normal and theres either somthing going on your parents know about bu you dont or the doctors are taking your money.

Endeavour
May 19th, 2017, 04:08 PM
Puberty for Boys :arrow: VT General Hospital

This fits better here.

LiveLifePreppy
May 20th, 2017, 10:49 AM
I was told it's just to make sure I'm healthy.

If you are healthy there is no point in going through all the trouble for a 3 hour exam just to make sure. You should only need those tests if something is wrong, dont feel like you have to tell us what it is. But this 3 hour test and scans aren't going to be free so if there is nothing wrong then i wouldnt get it. Just my own 2 cents

Cloud_Strife
May 20th, 2017, 12:16 PM

The MRI in itself would probably take 45-60 minutes anyway. On top of that, there is the wait and prep time involved before you even get into the machine. The medical interview, physical examination and blood tests on top of that will mean even more time. It's probably not unreasonable to expect at least two hours, if not three because of that.

samuel15
May 21st, 2017, 05:45 PM
He's a doctor so you'll survive probebly

jamie_n5
May 31st, 2017, 03:39 PM
That sounds a bit intense unless they suspect that you may have some health problems. It would also be expensive I would guess. A normal exam where I live would be 20-40 minutes.

cleancut
August 4th, 2017, 04:01 PM
I bet you that they are looking for something specific.

They don't want to expose people to any unnecessary radiation. CAT scans can expose you to the same radiation as 300 chest x rays and it is a fairly expensive procedure. The MRI doesn't expose you to any radiation because it doesn't scatter electrons, it uses a magnetic field.

I've had a "head to toe" examination with Kaiser, and it was fairly exhaustive. It didn't take 3 hours.

Web MD says...

Advocates promote scans as a smart part of a routine physical exam. But if you're healthy, with no worrisome symptoms, a scan is usually not warranted, says Arl Van Moore, MD, a radiologist and clinical assistant professor of radiology at Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C., who is also a spokesman for the American College of Radiology.

Posts merged, please edit next time. ~Endeavour