PDA

View Full Version : Help!

MysticMarine
May 17th, 2017, 01:32 PM
I'm not sure where this is supposed to go so If i'm posting this in the wrong section...sorry!

My best friend is probably the most understanding person and I wouldn't be able to live without her as a friend. She really has gone through a lot with family which has driving her to suicide attempts almost daily. I too have a lot going on and this is driving me crazy and I don't want to loose her.

She almost died yesterday from taking 8 pills of sleep medication but luckily survived. I am scared for my life I know i shouldn't be speaking about her situation here but I don't know what to do and I'm scared!

zzzzzzzzzz
May 17th, 2017, 02:02 PM
first off, you have nothing to be sorry for. secondly there is no harm in asking for help.
I'm so sorry to hear how tough things are for both you and your friend. The fact that you realise she is lucky to survive means that I hope you are not feeling that low try something like that too. It's all too easy to say seek a counsellor or some sort of professional help. A lot of us here will not have been through what you and your friend have been through, but there will be some people that have been. Please use this forum to, if nothing else vent your feelings.
Do remember, you both have one thing. Each other. Be there for your friend as she gets through this. You do not have to give any details about the situation, You just need the confidence from fellow VTers to say it's OK to be scared. Sometimes it just takes people to hit rock bottom for people to realise what they could have lost, what she means to other people (parents, siblings family, friends, and especially you)
I wish you luck

MysticMarine
May 18th, 2017, 05:30 AM
first off, you have nothing to be sorry for. secondly there is no harm in asking for help.
I'm so sorry to hear how tough things are for both you and your friend. The fact that you realise she is lucky to survive means that I hope you are not feeling that low try something like that too. It's all too easy to say seek a counsellor or some sort of professional help. A lot of us here will not have been through what you and your friend have been through, but there will be some people that have been. Please use this forum to, if nothing else vent your feelings.
Do remember, you both have one thing. Each other. Be there for your friend as she gets through this. You do not have to give any details about the situation, You just need the confidence from fellow VTers to say it's OK to be scared. Sometimes it just takes people to hit rock bottom for people to realise what they could have lost, what she means to other people (parents, siblings family, friends, and especially you)
I wish you luck

Thank you very much, I haven't had the chance to speak with her I did not attend school today. It's definitely great to vent thanks for the advice!

City Kid
May 18th, 2017, 01:32 PM
Cutting and Self Harm :arrow: Family and Friends

I'm so sorry that you have to go through something like this, but I'm glad that you're reaching out to us. You seem to be a very good friend to this girl. I think you should continue to tell her that you're there for her, but don't pressure her to talk about her feelings. It's also very important that you don't put her mental health before of your own. Like you said, you have a lot going on as well and even though it's great that you want to help her, it's not your responsibility to do so.
Is there anyone you think you could talk to about her suicidal tendencies? A parent or a teacher perhaps? You shouldn't have to deal with things like these on your own. I really wish you and your friend the best of luck.

Ben7
May 18th, 2017, 09:05 PM
I've been in a similar situation before. Except in my case my friend did succeed in committing suicide. What I wish I had done back then before it happened, what I regret not doing or trying to do, is talking to my friend every single day. He was very down and depressed and he had lost all hope for his future and life. I wish I had talked to him everyday to remind him that he still had at least one friend who cared about him.

My advice to you is - talk to your friend every day, communicate with her as often as possible (up to a certain extent I guess).

By this, I mean email her and text her and call her/leave voicemail(s) (and any other form of communication you can think of) as often as you can or at least every day. It doesn't matter if she doesn't respond, the point is that there's a high likelihood she still will read them all and that will be enough. Tell her a joke, tell her how your day was, recount an interesting story from your class or some incident that happened at school or at home. Ask how she is and whether she wants to talk. Tell her anything you can think of basically, as if you were conversing with her on an ordinary day. Reminisce about some of the good times you two have had together in the past. Ask her if she wants to hang out with you after school or on the weekend. Heck, even visit her at her own house to try to talk to her. Even if she doesn't want to talk to you, you making the attempt will make her reflect and realize that she is not alone. Basically, make her feel like she is still front and center in your life in terms of friends.

I regret not having done this with my own friend, and I wonder very often whether it would have changed anything in the end. I very strongly think it would have, and I also think I dropped the ball on this one by not doing stuff like what I mention above. That's the beauty of hindsight I suppose. I hope it works out with your friend (and I hope you can feel better too about whatever is going on in your life as well). Feel free to message me or whatever if you would like to continue talking about anything. Good luck.

Second Chance
May 19th, 2017, 03:11 AM
I'm not sure where this is supposed to go so If i'm posting this in the wrong section...sorry!

My best friend is probably the most understanding person and I wouldn't be able to live without her as a friend. She really has gone through a lot with family which has driving her to suicide attempts almost daily. I too have a lot going on and this is driving me crazy and I don't want to loose her.

She almost died yesterday from taking 8 pills of sleep medication but luckily survived. I am scared for my life I know i shouldn't be speaking about her situation here but I don't know what to do and I'm scared!

I agree with the other person above who told you to talk to your friend everyday and to try to provide her companionship. I think the best thing you can do for your friend is to provide a sense of normalcy and not focus on what is wrong with her since she hopefully has a professional counselor for that but rather just be a friend with her. I believe you should be on really good terms with her parents and make sure you let them know if your friend is entering a dark period so that they can get her the help that she needs. No question your friend most likely has some mental health issues which are going to take a lot of time and effort to sort out, and it would not hurt if you talk with your friend's parents along with her mental health counselor with their permission to figure out how you can help your friend.

I think the best thing you can do is keep up with your friend and let her know that you and your other friends accept her in totality and that she can be herself. Puberty is a tough time for people because along with the changes that happen there are a lot of pressures to "fit in" which can be too much for people. Also, if things at home are not so happy, then that can make a bad situation really toxic. It is for that reason your best bet is to provide your friend with acceptance and work with other friends to provide your friend a safety net while also letting responsible adults know if something is not right with your friend.