PDA

View Full Version : Politics, Religion and Opinions

Dalcourt
May 14th, 2017, 11:08 PM
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg545/tysci24/f82f4e3aabcb80683e15e98cc79efaec_zpsfxfceh4r.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/tysci24/media/f82f4e3aabcb80683e15e98cc79efaec_zpsfxfceh4r.jpg.html)

I feel this is an interesting quote. And I decided to use quotes like that or sometimes internet me message and other stuff for my musings on certain topics. Of course everyone is free to share their opinion on that topic, too.

It's from the author Donnie Miller just in case someone is wondering. Not an author I admire but as I said, interesting quote.

Ignorance is a choice? And why would anyone choose it? Cuz the information we get in our age is too overwhelming? As we get so much different information that it gets hard to decide what is fake news and what is not?
So what do we do the? Leave all the new information we get everyday be and just stick to our comfort zone where we find all the "truths" the social group we belong to has established over the ages?
Do we stick to my Daddy and Granddaddy voted GOP so it can't be wrong? Do we stick to my Momma went to Baptist Church with me so this must be the true religion?
Sure this is easy and with all those huge amounts of often so contradicting information about politics, religion, science and just every other thing you can think of how should you ever be able to pick out the right information?
How can we decide what is true and what is fake while being overwhelmed with information day after day?

How do you decide which news agency can be trusted? Do you stick to your families' opinion? Do you listen to our President to tell you what agencies are fake news or not? Do you simply believe the news that seem most comfortable to you?

You don't even have to think politics it's basically the same in pop culture. On place tells you celebrity couple you name it is seen happily shopping for stuff for their first baby while the other place says they went to a lawyer to file divorce. So again too much different and contradicting information so why not say fuck it and choose ignorance?

Staying informed in our days is a difficult task..you don't have just one place to look for information and you have to somehow filter the information you get.

I admit that I picked staying ignorant about a couple of topics in life.I have an opinion about it and some basic knowledge but honestly not the energy to go deeper there. Whereas other topics I really try to stay informed on. And that's where the hard part begins. How? I have my top sources of information of course chosen according to my political, religious and ethical believes. Then I also read the information given by "the other side". And when there is the possibility I try to get information about the same topic from other countries...I am able to read a couple of foreign languages so I can read those opinions, too.

So yeah it's kinda hard work to stay informed. And I admit trying to really be informed and not just believe the first thing you hear is difficult, still I try to do it.
Over the years I have formed a couple of beliefs and ideas that highly contradict those of my immediate surroundings...it's not really about how I see politics in general but about ideas concerning race, gender and sexuality and environmental issues.

I sometimes wonder how other try to stay informed and form opinions about those information they get.
It's hard to discuss this with my friends since most of them chose to stay ignorant about everything except maybe celebrity gossip and stuff like that.

And my family? My Dad usually has his opinion about everything without even trying to inform himself.

Dalcourt
May 16th, 2017, 02:39 PM
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg545/tysci24/efa1deb7d92c972ca50dd761af8aaad7_zpsxfqdytum.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/tysci24/media/efa1deb7d92c972ca50dd761af8aaad7_zpsxfqdytum.jpg.html)

A friend sent me this today. She's a very hardcore liberal much more than myself and often sends me stuff like that. And sadly with most of it she's totally right. Most views we have are not logical at all.

Dalcourt
June 24th, 2017, 10:44 PM
I read quite a lot about free speech on the forumsay lately.
Some of it was true, some amusing and other just plain dumb.
But most of it made me think about this quote.

Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage.

Winston S. Churchill

Dalcourt
August 17th, 2017, 04:24 PM
I am wondering why all right wingers just wanna spread those wild bogeyman myth of the evil Antifa now.
Seems like a new word they have learnt and now want to use for everyone who doesn't share their agenda of close mindedness.

Especially in the US Antifa is just a tiny group within the Liberals.

I have a online friend in Germany I usually practice my German language skills with. She is a supporter and I guess you can say member of Antifa there.
We discussed left wing violence especially after what happened in Hamburg.

She said nobody thinks or ever thought of Antifa as the good guys. They never denied using violence when necessary and police is constantly monitoring them since they are seen as borderline terrorists since Germany is also highly aware if left wing terrorism due to their experiences with RAF.
Why they use violence? Cause sadly it's the only language their opponents understand.
For most of them violence is just a last resort thing usually they are just there intimidating others with their presence.

There are groups who are just violent for the sake of being violent like there are the hooligans at soccer matches and those do not represent the majority of Antifa and what is the most important point here she said, the do not represent a majority among liberals.

So making all liberals into violent hooligans is just bullshit.

At a normal AfD rally she says she just plays an interested onlooker embarrassing the politicians by asking them silly questions about their political programmes. Some are then asking security to remove her and she goes quietly.
It only gets really dirty at those Neonazi rallies. The peaceful protesters can't doing anything here it would be way to dangerous and so they do this bad fights.
She says she prefers hanging up posters, handing out leaflets and verbal fighting. She is always proud she comes from a family with a long tradition of women with a big mouth as she says...and her female ancestors used this mouth to stand up against the real Nazis back in the days.

Dalcourt
August 17th, 2017, 04:56 PM
Link 1 (https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/16/charlottesville-violence-right-left-trump)

Link 2 (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/12/charlottesville-far-right-crowd-with-torches-encircles-counter-protest-group)

Link 3 (http://www.mlive.com/news/us-world/index.ssf/2017/08/white_supremicist_featured_in.html)

Sure this articles linked show some fine examples of human beings on the alt right side.

I'm sure every decent citizen who feel those confederate monuments should stay since they are part of our cultural heritage is proud to stand side by side with these heroes.

Sure their slogans had to do with preserving our history and most of all I feel General Lee would be very happy with this kind of people supporting him. Guess he'd rather tore those monuments down himself than being put in one place with such individuals.