PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Topics Ideas

PlasmaHam
May 14th, 2017, 04:35 PM
New Topics:

1. Religion and Philosophy Forum

I know ROTW is where you are supposed to discuss these topics, but to be honest they really don't fit there. There is a fairly wide gap between political debates and theological/philosophical discussions. I think there will be much better discussion of these topics if they were their own forum.

2. Academics Forum

I know "Education and Careers" is supposed to discuss this, but let's be honest; that thread consists almost entirely of school and work problems, very little academic discussion. I am just suggesting a thread devoted to discussion such topics as history, science, social studies, etc, as well as a place for homework help.

I'll be glad to discuss this more if anyone wants to. I really do feel these additions would be advantageous to the forums here.

Elysium
May 14th, 2017, 06:16 PM
I do like the idea of a religion and philosophy forum that isn't for debating. I'm curious to see what other people think and maybe we can develop that further.

As for an academics forum, it doesn't seem separate enough from "Education and Careers" to me. Just because nobody's using E&C that way, doesn't mean it can't be used that way. I'm still open to discussion on that, but right now I'm leaning away from it.

Plane And Simple
May 14th, 2017, 06:33 PM
To be honest I'd be kind of meh on the idea of the Religion forum. We all know how religion discussion always tend to end up in a bad way. Philosophy I fully support but religion I'm not sure it'd end up on you staff's good side.

About the Academics, I second Elysium. E&C Works?

Amethyst Rose
May 14th, 2017, 09:53 PM
I really like the idea of a Religion/Philosophy forum. Discussions about these topics consist of more than just debates, so I think it's only appropriate there should be a place for these discussions separate from ROTW. Plane And Simple , I don't think it could get worse than is possible in any other forum on VT if the rules are followed. Respect of other posters' views (and lack of it) would be enforced/handled accordingly as anywhere else; besides, if someone knows they can't be respectful, then they can just not post there.

I'm with Elysium on the E&C forum. The existing forum encompasses everything mentioned in the OP, so there's no point in creating another one.

PlasmaHam
May 16th, 2017, 04:02 PM
I get what y'all are saying about E&C. I'll give you that for now.

I really do not see why a religion/philosophy forum would be that bad. As Amethyst Rose pointed out, there are various discussions regarding these topics that do not fall under debating. If people have a problem with religion or people questioning their views, then they simply need not to post there.

For example, I am very much opposed to the ideas of homosexuality. But I have the self-control and respect to not go blasting the sexuality forum and beating them across the head with Bible verses. There are other's with similar opinions as me, and they also don't go spamming the sexuality forum. Idk why you can't expect the same in reverse, unless you feel like atheists don't have the same level of self-control as religious people, and I am sure none of you think that.

xXl0sth0peXx
May 16th, 2017, 11:55 PM
The idea of a religion forum is interesting, and something that we'll take back and further discuss as a staff.

tigers
May 17th, 2017, 01:03 AM
Cool idea

Dalcourt
May 20th, 2017, 09:45 PM
I really like the idea of a Religion/Philosophy forum. Discussions about these topics consist of more than just debates, so I think it's only appropriate there should be a place for these discussions separate from ROTW. Plane And Simple , I don't think it could get worse than is possible in any other forum on VT if the rules are followed. Respect of other posters' views (and lack of it) would be enforced/handled accordingly as anywhere else; besides, if someone knows they can't be respectful, then they can just not post there.

I really do not see why a religion/philosophy forum would be that bad. As Amethyst Rose pointed out, there are various discussions regarding these topics that do not fall under debating. If people have a problem with religion or people questioning their views, then they simply need not to post there.

For example, I am very much opposed to the ideas of homosexuality. But I have the self-control and respect to not go blasting the sexuality forum and beating them across the head with Bible verses. There are other's with similar opinions as me, and they also don't go spamming the sexuality forum. Idk why you can't expect the same in reverse, unless you feel like atheists don't have the same level of self-control as religious people, and I am sure none of you think that.

To a certain degree I am with Amethyst Rose here. We sometimes discussed issues touching religious stuff in our private conversations. On the other hand I'm not sure that those discussions will stay so hate free as PlasmaHam hopes and a great deal of neutral moderation would be needed here.

Religion is such a complex thing and you always have to be so careful not to hurt someone's feeling so even it might be a good idea to some extent I'm not sure how much good it will do even among religious people.

PlasmaHam
May 20th, 2017, 11:26 PM
To a certain degree I am with Amethyst Rose here. We sometimes discussed issues touching religious stuff in our private conversations. On the other hand I'm not sure that those discussions will stay so hate free as PlasmaHam hopes and a great deal of neutral moderation would be needed here.

Religion is such a complex thing and you always have to be so careful not to hurt someone's feeling so even it might be a good idea to some extent I'm not sure how much good it will do even among religious people.
You could warrant the same concerns over ROTW and the Sexuality forum. And occasionally, in those thread those concerns do become reality, but that is the risks with discussing controversial topics. I am not sure how those risks are acceptable in other topics, but not with religion/philosophy.

Dalcourt
May 20th, 2017, 11:56 PM
You could warrant the same concerns over ROTW and the Sexuality forum. And occasionally, in those thread those concerns do become reality, but that is the risks with discussing controversial topics. I am not sure how those risks are acceptable in other topics, but not with religion/philosophy.

All the bullshit and drama so often going on in the ROTW is honestly what greatly puts me off posting there more. It always ends in arguing and has nothing to do with discussions anymore.
The sexuality forums is mostly asking for advice so there's hardly any discussions or arguments going on there.

I'm not against a forum about religion in general. I'm just being realistic and it will either be a new source of drama or not interest anyone at all.

A couple of people have threads about religion in their personal forums and if enough others are interested serious talks could go on there, too.

If one of those user forums with topics gets a real hit here on VT I'm all for creating a regular forum about religion...

NerdSquared
May 21st, 2017, 05:50 PM
I would be interested in a religion forum.