PDA

View Full Version : When to see a gyno?

Desdemona
May 14th, 2017, 03:41 PM
Hi! I am 14 and a virgin. I have never had sex, but I have normal (but heavy) periods and a masturbate a lot. When should I see a gyno? My sister is 17 and she has a BF but she's never been to one. We live with just my dad and he is super bad at this kind of thing (which is understandable him being a guy). My mom lives in DC and I have some trouble talking to her about girl issues too (not to mention dad). Is there any place I can call to ask about this or someone I can talk to? Can I talk to the school nurse about it? If I need to see a gyno - how does it work? Will my health insurance cover that and pay for it?

LITTLEANGEL17
May 16th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Your family doctor or the school nurse would be a good starting point, Hope all goes well

amelia_
May 16th, 2017, 01:10 PM
Do you go for a checkup every once in a while? You could try asking your doctor if you might need it, but I think if you're not sexually active there's no reason to go. There were some other threads about this as well that might have some good info.

Uniquemind
May 16th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Health insurance should cover it.

It's a good idea to see a general practitioner to get a baseline of your health at age 14 anyway. These are also critical growth spurt years too.

I would suggest doing a full medical workup with a general practitioner and a gynecologist just to check up on and educate yourself about your cycle and what's normal for you. Then I wouldn't worry about seeing one for awhile unless you want to or have become sexually active.

Also your earlier question regarding sex toys, and it's health impact and what's safe is a good question to ask a gynecologist.

Sandra123
June 18th, 2017, 05:16 PM
Hi! I am 14 and a virgin. I have never had sex, but I have normal (but heavy) periods and a masturbate a lot. When should I see a gyno? We live with just my dad

I also live with dad and I'am 15 and dad is took me to gyno so is fine just tell him so! :yes:

shy_indian_chick
June 18th, 2017, 06:03 PM
I think it's usually recommended once you become sexually active. If you have a specific concern, it's certainly worth going sooner, but otherwise I don't think it's immediately necessary.

jhardy
July 3rd, 2017, 03:43 PM
Your normal doctor (either a pediatrician or GP) should be able to handle pretty much everything you need right now. So if you have questions about something or need an appointment, you should go to them first. If they think you need to see a gyno, they can refer you!

angelina
July 4th, 2017, 11:31 AM
Hi! I am 14 and a virgin. I have never had sex, but I have normal (but heavy) periods and a masturbate a lot. When should I see a gyno? My sister is 17 and she has a BF but she's never been to one. We live with just my dad and he is super bad at this kind of thing (which is understandable him being a guy). My mom lives in DC and I have some trouble talking to her about girl issues too (not to mention dad). Is there any place I can call to ask about this or someone I can talk to? Can I talk to the school nurse about it? If I need to see a gyno - how does it work? Will my health insurance cover that and pay for it?
seeing your family doctor may be very apt...you can consult about your heavy periods with her/him...not necessary for seeing a gyno as you have mentioned that you are a virgin and you had never had sex..