PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with Diagnosis

Fiction
May 14th, 2017, 11:07 AM
I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder a few weeks ago.

Honestly i'm finding the diagnosis quite hard to deal with. It's something i've suspected i've had since I was about 15 years old. So in some ways it's a relief I guess. I have been seen by a psychiatrist before but he only diagnosed with me depression.

This time my history was taken by a clinical psychologist and both the psychiatric nurse and psychiatrist I saw this time only had to read my history and tell me I had a clear case of Borderline Personality Disorder.

The thing is, personality disorders are hugely stigmatised. You only have to give a quick google search to find many negative blogs/websites about living with someone with BPD. It's hard to read when you've just been diagnosed. I've not even had the courage to tell my parents- and i'm not sure I will.

I'm on a waiting list for treatment now.But feeling a little hopeless about everything and about it all.

LRSSS02
July 12th, 2017, 09:20 PM
I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder a few weeks ago.

Honestly i'm finding the diagnosis quite hard to deal with. It's something i've suspected i've had since I was about 15 years old. So in some ways it's a relief I guess. I have been seen by a psychiatrist before but he only diagnosed with me depression.

This time my history was taken by a clinical psychologist and both the psychiatric nurse and psychiatrist I saw this time only had to read my history and tell me I had a clear case of Borderline Personality Disorder.

The thing is, personality disorders are hugely stigmatised. You only have to give a quick google search to find many negative blogs/websites about living with someone with BPD. It's hard to read when you've just been diagnosed. I've not even had the courage to tell my parents- and i'm not sure I will.

I'm on a waiting list for treatment now.But feeling a little hopeless about everything and about it all.

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis and I think that you need to tell your parents because they could be a support system.

Rguy123
July 16th, 2017, 02:05 PM
I don't know exactly what that is but I'm sure it will help a great deal if you do tell your parents about it. they could help you

Indexes
August 2nd, 2017, 06:17 AM
I'm sorry about all the negativity surrounding people with personality disorders. With all the stigma online and offline, it's probably hard to tell anyone about being diagnosed with something that's been so vilified - which is terrible. I think the best decision is to tell your parents, for support, and to help them understand BPD beyond the negative shit found online, in magazines, on TV etc. I wish you the best of luck with this.

elmoc
August 3rd, 2017, 12:04 AM
As OP suggested, I did a Google search. I agree, the negative comments are overwhelming. So many comments from people that felt they had been manipulated after careful planning with sinister intent. I have a sister that is Bipolar Type 2, & they can share similar behaviors of SOME Borderline people.

I think you are handling the diagnosis pretty well, because you are working on accepting & understanding it. That is a huge step toward recognizing that you can learn tools & techniques the live with the symptoms. I believe that is a healthy first step. You are working through the initial shock that all of us feel at times.

I went to some forums, hoping to find BPD forums that could provide support for you. They are out there! Please find 1-2 that help you feel welcome. Yes, there are some very crappy posts from people that want to blame everything negative on a Borderline person. Ignore them.

As with many mental challenges, it appears that sometimes medication is given,, but I can honestly say that my sister- our entire family, actually- feels better & she is in more control of herself because of a social worker with talk therapy training. Whether it is a social worker with specialized trading, a psychologist, etc., I hope you can find someone to listen to you & help with your concerns.t

Your parents: I think it is okay to wait a couple of weeks to tell them. Based on our family experience, maybe it would be helpful if you can find supportive information on the internet & learn a bit more about Borderline personality yourself. My guess is that your parents love you & would like to be able to help you. With information, you can ask them to help you in specific ways. You're going to make some mistakes & a therapist can give you a chance to learn from them. This BPD is not something you chose, it is all a response of brain-chemicals that can get out of balance.

There are millions of BPDs in the USA alone. Most live happy, fulfilling lives, with a behavior hiccup at times. Unfortunately, there are others that enjoy the drama & fthe ability to manipulate & hurt others. You get to choose which life you want & I believe you have the strength to manage your challenges.

* Full disclosure- I wrote this with input & suggestions from my mom, a psychiatrist. I'm not this smart