PDA

View Full Version : Menstrual cup ?

Desdemona
May 13th, 2017, 02:36 AM
Has anyone in here used a menstrual cup? Is it uncomfortable? How often do you have to change it? Does it work even at night, when sleeping for 8 hours?

I have quite heavy periods, so even with both tampons and pads I can bleed through and I hate it. Will a menstrual cup be better here? Where can I get one?

LITTLEANGEL17
May 13th, 2017, 03:33 AM
Hiya Desi Here is some information that might help.
Please let us know how you get on.
Angie X :)

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Menstrual-Cup

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_cup

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2015/02/tired-of-tampons-here-are-pros-and-cons-of-menstrual-cups/

http://divacup.com/where-to-buy/store-finder/

ALSO FROM Amazon or Walmart ETC ETC.

Desdemona
May 22nd, 2017, 10:45 AM
Thanks!

Has anyone in here first hand experience with a cup?

I ordered one online. I'm curious and I will at least try it out, even if it feels a little scary to shove that rubber thing up my hoo-ha. I'll come back with a review.

amelia_
May 22nd, 2017, 12:50 PM
I ordered one online. I'm curious and I will at least try it out, even if it feels a little scary to shove that rubber thing up my hoo-ha. I'll come back with a review.

What do you currently use? I use tampons and they work for me, but I've always wondered if those cups work any better or different.

Desdemona
May 22nd, 2017, 01:54 PM
What do you currently use? I use tampons and they work for me, but I've always wondered if those cups work any better or different.

I use tampons and sometimes tampons with an extra pad. I have really heavy periods, so I often bleed thru both if I wait too long changing them.

amelia_
May 22nd, 2017, 02:08 PM
I use tampons and sometimes tampons with an extra pad. I have really heavy periods, so I often bleed thru both if I wait too long changing them.

Ah ok. Mine is not super heavy, I can just use one tampon, wonder if the cup is worth extra hassle.

Desdemona
May 24th, 2017, 04:22 AM
Ah ok. Mine is not super heavy, I can just use one tampon, wonder if the cup is worth extra hassle.

One of the things that worries me is that I will get even heavier periods when I grow up. Enough is enough already. I've explored various options now and going on birth control pills seems to be the recommended solution. It also seems super convenient that they can postpone the period for a week or so, for example during holidays.

amelia_
May 24th, 2017, 10:54 AM
One of the things that worries me is that I will get even heavier periods when I grow up. Enough is enough already. I've explored various options now and going on birth control pills seems to be the recommended solution. It also seems super convenient that they can postpone the period for a week or so, for example during holidays.

Yeah apparently birth control is a good way to handle your period, I'm not on it yet though. Once my period gets regular and I'm a bit older I'll try it to help my period.

Brit4love
May 24th, 2017, 11:38 AM
Yeah I'm curious on how well the cup works ......my periods are not to heavy but the reusable part is sort of nice.

Cute_Jenny
May 28th, 2017, 08:18 AM
No experience with it, can not really inspire me. I'm good with tampons

Desdemona
May 28th, 2017, 11:30 AM
I got the cup in the mail last week. I'm going to try it in 2-3 weeks when I have my period and write a review here. It scares me a little bit, it looks awfully big.

neledisapersonne
May 31st, 2017, 01:57 AM
Thanks for testing that and writing here, I was curious when I first heard about it but nobody around me was using it and I couldn't get myself to be the pioneer of menstrual cupping :)

kimmykim
May 31st, 2017, 08:04 AM
I got the cup in the mail last week. I'm going to try it in 2-3 weeks when I have my period and write a review here. It scares me a little bit, it looks awfully big.

that would be awesome

Mollypop
June 2nd, 2017, 11:41 AM
Hey Desi,

Thanks for being the guinea pig for this. If it's really good you might start a VT trend!

Desdemona
June 7th, 2017, 11:16 AM
Ok here goes! Period has just started. I spent maybe an hour getting the damn thing to sit right and not chafe, but now I have mastered the technique and I don't feel it when it is in. I can get it back in in maybe 1 minute now, practice is improving. The first time I took it out blood got everywhere, but the second time went well. I wore it circa 8 hours before emptying it the first time. No trickle on the side. Very promising but I still safe it with a pad. Less trouble than I thought it would be so far. I will try to sleep with it in tonight - didn't dare last night.

Mollypop
June 7th, 2017, 11:53 AM
That sounds better than I thought it would. I figured it'd be a horrible mess when you take it out. How hard is it to clean?

amelia_
June 7th, 2017, 12:08 PM
Ok here goes! Period has just started. I spent maybe an hour getting the damn thing to sit right and not chafe, but now I have mastered the technique and I don't feel it when it is in. I can get it back in in Maybe 1 minute now, practice is improving. The first time I took it out blood got everywhere, but the second time went well. I worse it circa 8 hours before emptying it the first time. No trickle on the side. Very promising but I still safe it with a pad. Less trouble than I thought it would be so far. I will try to sleep with it in tonight - didn't dare last night.

It sounds pretty nice once you get the hang of it. Do you like it better than pads or tampons?

Desdemona
June 7th, 2017, 02:36 PM
It sounds pretty nice once you get the hang of it. Do you like it better than pads or tampons?

I haven't decided yet. If there is no leakage throughout the period I am probably a convert.

amelia_
June 7th, 2017, 06:57 PM
I haven't decided yet. If there is no leakage throughout the period I am probably a convert.

Ah ok. Seems like you have to wear it a few times to see how you like it. I'll hopefully be able to get one so I can see what it's like.

Desdemona
June 8th, 2017, 12:13 AM
That sounds better than I thought it would. I figured it'd be a horrible mess when you take it out. How hard is it to clean?

Not hard. You rinse it in cold water and pop it inside out a few times and it is clean.

Desdemona
June 8th, 2017, 12:14 AM
I recommend sittning on the toilet when you take it out as blood frequently escapes.

amelia_
June 8th, 2017, 01:24 AM
I recommend sittning on the toilet when you take it out as blood frequently escapes.

That sounds helpful. Which one did you get? I looked online and saw many different ones, not sure what to pick...

Desdemona
June 8th, 2017, 08:51 AM
That sounds helpful. Which one did you get? I looked online and saw many different ones, not sure what to pick...

This in size small

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01605MTDE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496929822&sr=8-2-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=menstrual%2Bcup&psc=1&th=1

Desdemona
June 8th, 2017, 02:57 PM
If you can use tampons, you can use a cup.

kimmykim
June 9th, 2017, 07:37 AM
thank you for sharing about ur experience with it

Desdemona
June 9th, 2017, 11:55 AM
thank you for sharing about ur experience with it

Thanks for the feedback! No problem!

So I've tried sleeping with it in. First night went well. No problem. Second night, I stood up to go pee at 3 am and felt it had shifted inside me. Normally you can't feel it's there, but now it was sort of chafing me. I guess it had slipped from the cervix area and expanded a little bit. That was uncomfortable. I took it out, rinsed it and put it back in and it was fine until morning. It hasn't slipped or expanded during the daytime, so I don't know if this was especially triggered by me moving in my sleep or something. I'll continue sleeping with it in to see if this is a recurring problem.

So this is the only other problem I have had so far after learning how to put it in. I must say I'm positively surprised by this gadget overall. It's just twenty bucks. I recommend you to buy one and try it out if you are curious. I would also love to hear your observations.

/Desi

Posts merged. ~Endeavour

Mollypop
June 15th, 2017, 12:00 PM
I'm going to buy one and try it out. Thanks Desi for doing this for us.

kimmykim
June 15th, 2017, 12:04 PM

i might, im still thinking about it

Desdemona
June 16th, 2017, 11:23 AM
No further incidents. Slept with it in for two more night until my period ended. Definitely a viable alternative to tampons.

Great! Yeah definitely do. Even if it isn't your thing, I have now proven that at least it's worth the effort checking it out.

I am no brain washed evangelizing convert, but it totally worked and I bled thru into my pad way less than with a tampon.

Please post your experience here.

i might, im still thinking about it

It's so cheap that it's hard to argue that you shouldn't give it a try. And my family doesn't have a lot of money.

/D

Posts merged. ~Endeavour

Katrinchen
June 17th, 2017, 08:03 AM
thanks to all - your experiences sounds good - i think i will try it too

Desdemona
June 17th, 2017, 12:53 PM
thanks to all - your experiences sounds good - i think i will try it too

Glad to help!