PDA

View Full Version : Over protective parents

MarkT
May 10th, 2017, 01:25 PM
Does anyone feel that their parents are overprotective? I surely feel like that about mine.

I mean, I love them, and I know that they mean the best for me, but I feel that they aren't giving me the freedom I deserve.

I work really hard and try to keep my grades up, and try to be a great child. I feel that my parents don't really think I'm smart enough to make my own decisions. And they end up being kinda stirct at times.

Every time I try to bring this topic up with them, they just ignore it.

Any help?

ShineintheDark
May 10th, 2017, 04:23 PM
I can relate with this. Best I can suggest is try and push for mutual respect of them understanding that you need your freedoms whilst also respecting their more solid rules and expectations

ska8er
May 10th, 2017, 04:34 PM
If u r 19 ur not a child. If u still live at home
then u have to accept ur parents decisions.
If u feel that they r overprotective then u
can find a place of ur own and b ur own
man.

PinkFloyd
May 10th, 2017, 04:39 PM
What kind of freedom do they not give you? Like what specifically do they do?

Endeavour
May 10th, 2017, 05:14 PM
I think it's important to understand what exactly they allow/don't allow you to do. Although it may seem overprotective, ultimately they want to make sure that their child is alright. That said at 19 you're not exactly a "child" anymore and they should treat you with a certain degree of respect. Have things always been the same or have they gradually become more/less lenient as you've gotten older?

Amethyst Rose
May 10th, 2017, 08:17 PM
I can relate - it's not a fun situation. Parents can be overprotective for a number of reasons. Have you done anything in the past to give them a reason to not trust you? It may just be out of care and the fact that they don't want you to make any bad decisions. Sometimes parents don't realize that being overly helpful or controlling isn't helping you... in fact it's crippling you by shielding you from the repercussions of your actions and, in turn, from making mistakes you could learn valuable lessons from.

TheLivingLie
May 16th, 2017, 01:17 PM
This is me 100%, my parents want to know where I am and what I'm doing 24/7, which basically means I can't go to parties or anything like that. I think, for my case at least, it's cause I'm the first child, so they don't want anything to happen to me, but like my sister who is the third and final child will probably have the rules relaxed most

jamie_n5
May 16th, 2017, 08:00 PM
My parents are that way too about a lot of things. I learned way back to just go with the flow and not to get all worked up about things. A lot of it seems to bother my friends more than me. lol You could always move out on your own if you think you could do it financially.

Chaosphere
June 1st, 2017, 01:02 AM
Does anyone feel that their parents are overprotective? I surely feel like that about mine.

I mean, I love them, and I know that they mean the best for me, but I feel that they aren't giving me the freedom I deserve.

I work really hard and try to keep my grades up, and try to be a great child. I feel that my parents don't really think I'm smart enough to make my own decisions. And they end up being kinda stirct at times.

Any help?
I definitely feel as you do regarding parents. Regardless of their good intentions, they can still just have the issues you come to them with roll off their backs, so to speak.
My parents are tight-lipped and it seems like they'd like to censor a lot of what I view. That said, at the same time I get a lot of freedom in other areas. It's strange.

Blackwell2003
June 2nd, 2017, 02:36 PM

Any help?

Sometimes they are sometimes they aren't. Like if I ask to go out they have to know exactly where and who and what time I'll be back but they'll leave me alone it's my girlfriend.

Devinsoccer
June 2nd, 2017, 04:59 PM
I can't even go to the park because I have to cross a divided highway... where the speed limit is 30 miles per hour and one lane on each side...

In you and my case, we have to deal with it...

jdhud024
June 2nd, 2017, 11:19 PM
Mine used to be badly, to the point I had no bedroom door. It was my own fault, but they didn't handle it well. They kinda overreacted.

Music is what helped me through 2016. That year was hell for me, and without music, I might not be here right now. My suggestion would be to find something that makes you happy and distracts you. That's what music did for me. The less I thought of my problems, the more stable I was.

Thankfully now me and my parents are fine and they trust me and aren't overprotective.

Abhorrence
June 3rd, 2017, 08:05 AM
Honestly wouldn't know how it feels but I can't believe that your parents still control you at nineteen years old. That must suck man, I feel for you.

mookie
June 4th, 2017, 03:42 PM
It's just me and my dad. After school if I don't have a school activity I have to go right home with no friends in the house, except to maybe use the bathroom. Can't go to a friends until he gets home from work. We can hang out in my yard and play ball. When he's home I can do a lot more but he likes my friends sleeping here instead of me at their house but I can sometimes.

Aldee
June 10th, 2017, 01:56 AM
I feel like both my parents are quite relaxed with me, but more strict when it comes to my sister.

Just JT
June 10th, 2017, 05:47 AM
I know the feeling. But for me I think I have more freedoms than some kids our ages. That's just based on other friends my age and what they got to do.

But also based on my past, very mixed and rather different, they know I've had a lot of different life experiences and have learned from them. Parents just want to make sure your safe is all

Even at 19, don't mean their job is done. You might be an adult, but they still worry and love you. And you live under their roof.

Talk to them....

Jericho14
June 13th, 2017, 02:41 AM
I feel this. My parents are strict especially the fact that we just moved to Australia 3 years ago...

They really think i still can get lost around here easily, I can't close my bedroom door unless im sleeping, Won't let me take bus and definitely train with myself or friends going to/from somewhere other than school or nearest shopping mall, Im not allowed to cross in a very busy road by myself, I can't go sleepover in my friend's house, I have to remind them where im going and what am i doing and I can't go partying at night with friends anywhere (I get jealous with some of my friends being able to go to night parties plus there are quiet a few teenage-friendly events being organzied monthly here)

I may be only 14 but i get jealous sometimes because people my age seem to have more freedom in where i live, But i understand my parents since im the only child

Cloudyhue
July 2nd, 2017, 05:29 PM
Yeah, mine are too. If your parents start snooping or something I'd remind them that you're a good kid who does their work and gets good grades etc. so they should trust you. They have no reason not to. Or, you could reassert your boundaries and tell them that you like your privacy. Ask them how they would feel if you searched their room when they weren't looking.

angie78
July 18th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Your parents want to protect you from be hurted but if you don't get hurted or not make wrong decisions you will never learn..
You have to prove them that you are old enough to live free and take risks. You don't have to achieve this with conversation but by starting your revolution!! They will hopefully start thinking differently

elmoc
July 21st, 2017, 11:24 PM
I talked with my oldest brother about this subject. He is 36 & has two teen children. He explained that, as a parent it is not a trust issue as much as it is a safety issue. He knows there are crazy drivers & crazy people out there, & worries about their safety. One of our brothers was killed by a drunk driver, so my family has been overprotective at times. I don't like it, but I understand it.

However, at age 19, you should be pretty independent by now. Would you feel comfortable sitting down with them to talk about it? If you approach it as a 19 yr old adult, perhaps you can work out a compromis.

Jeff1857
July 27th, 2017, 01:04 PM
My parents are super strict about some stuff and other stuff they are laid back about. Are you a only child that can cause some of it.