PDA

View Full Version : 13 Reasons Why- School's Involvement

Genegerbread
May 8th, 2017, 02:46 PM
I'm almost positive that almost every single person here has watched the show 13 Reasons Why. If you haven't, here's a quick summary: A girl named Hannah Baker commits suicide. She creates 13 different tapes about people and how they had caused her suicide. The story focuses around a boy named Clay Jensen. He seems to be a nice, well-rounded student at the high school these people go to (and where Hannah went). One day, he receives the tapes at his doorstep. The rest is for you to watch.

They do have the suicide scene in the final episode, and it's very gruesome. A lot of the people on the PTSA (Parent-Teacher-Student Association) at my school said that this scene 'glorified' the idea of suicide. I thought the complete opposite. This series is a perfect example of how suicide affects you and affects those around you. It's an awful thing, and it's portrayed as one, too.

Regardless, my school sent out a letter saying that this show should not be viewed by those who are 'sensitive' and 'vulnerable'. I believe that people who feel vulnerable should definitely be watching this to see what suicide does to the world around you. It's absolutely awful.

As my dad says, "It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem."
What do y'all think about this?

Amethyst Rose
May 8th, 2017, 09:33 PM
Imo it is up to each individual to decide if they should watch it or not. Everyone is different; it's easier for some people to control their urges, and if you deal with suicidal tendencies/thoughts or things related to that, you should know your threshold. I have, and it hasn't bothered me. If anything it just makes Hannah more relatable.

I haven't finished the series yet (I'm halfway through), but based on what I've seen so far, I think Hannah overreacted. Maybe something later on will change my opinion on that, but really if I were in her place, I wouldn't have committed suicide.

lliam
May 8th, 2017, 09:42 PM
Haven't seen a single episode yet. To be honest, to me, suicide isn't an issue to even think about anyway. I like to live far more than to see a solution in committing suicide to solve my probs.

So I can't confirm whether this scene glorifies suicide ... or not.

But it's a classic to claim something like this in a discussion about a film or a show which topic is about "committing suicide" or such.

And tbh, that's always kinda boring.

But I think that the side effect of such shows, namely, that all are talking about a tabooed topic like suicide is always a good thing, so I can accept such stereotypical statements with a shrug.

SethfromMI
May 8th, 2017, 09:47 PM
Imo it is up to each individual to decide if they should watch it or not. Everyone is different; it's easier for some people to control their urges, and if you deal with suicidal tendencies/thoughts or things related to that, you should know your threshold. I have, and it hasn't bothered me. If anything it just makes Hannah more relatable.

I haven't finished the series yet (I'm halfway through), but based on what I've seen so far, I think Hannah overreacted. Maybe something later on will change my opinion on that, but really if I were in her place, I wouldn't have committed suicide.

without giving anything away, I think we have to remember people with severe depression (and let's be honest,she had some severe depression going on) see life in a very different way. things in which we would say it is not a big deal or we would say she should have and could have gotten over, are a much bigger deal to them often times. their depression simply does not allow to see things clearly. I am not saying you are not justified in what you said, I honestly thought the same exact thing after watching the first few episodes (again don't want to give too much away). that being said, even I had to sit back and say if she is sad and depressed enough to kill herself, she isn't likely going to be thinking straight, so I try to give her slack.

To the OP, I do not know if the show would be for everyone. I agree 100% with you it can show the effects of what suicide can do for those left behind, but it is possible someone who is on the border could be triggered to do something they may not have done else wise.

that being said, I ended up enjoying the series more than I thought I would and I will def watch the second series when/if (I so hope so) it comes out

Amethyst Rose
May 8th, 2017, 10:05 PM
without giving anything away, I think we have to remember people with severe depression (and let's be honest,she had some severe depression going on) see life in a very different way. things in which we would say it is not a big deal or we would say she should have and could have gotten over, are a much bigger deal to them often times. their depression simply does not allow to see things clearly. I am not saying you are not justified in what you said, I honestly thought the same exact thing after watching the first few episodes (again don't want to give too much away). that being said, even I had to sit back and say if she is sad and depressed enough to kill herself, she isn't likely going to be thinking straight, so I try to give her slack.

To the OP, I do not know if the show would be for everyone. I agree 100% with you it can show the effects of what suicide can do for those left behind, but it is possible someone who is on the border could be triggered to do something they may not have done else wise.

that being said, I ended up enjoying the series more than I thought I would and I will def watch the second series when/if (I so hope so) it comes out

I deal with severe depression. In no way does that guarantee I would do as she did in a similar situation, does it? We are each our own person and we never know how the people around us truly feel, what they don't want others to know about them. This show is one of many cases of a real problem that people face, and merely one person's choice of how to handle it. The way I see it, people can say suicide, depression etc. can be glorified, but you can't possibly "glorify" something so painful. You can't make it more appealing or turn it into something people wish they had. I know people who pretend and/or exaggerate having depression and other issues, and it upsets me because if they knew how horrible it can be, they wouldn't think twice about doing it.

SethfromMI
May 8th, 2017, 10:08 PM
I deal with severe depression. In no way does that guarantee I would do as she did in a similar situation, does it? We are each our own person and we never know how the people around us truly feel, what they don't want others to know about them. This show is just one of many cases of a real problem that people face. The way I see it, people can say suicide, depression etc. can be glorified, but you can't possibly "glorify" something so painful. You can't make it more appealing or turn it into something people wish they had. I know people who pretend and/or exaggerate having depression and other issues, and it upsets me because if they knew how horrible it can be, they wouldn't think twice about doing it.

no, but should I expect you to be handle reality as perfectly as everyone else and not let your depression effect how you see things? my point was about how you said she overreacted to certain things. again without saying too much, it does get more serious. but even reacting in general, doesn't your depression in some sense effect how you view things, respond etc? I figured since you do have depression you would see and understand that.

I am not saying suicide is ok ever, because I don't think it is. but just because I don't think it is ok, doesn't mean I don't understand how someone could still do it

Amethyst Rose
May 8th, 2017, 10:19 PM
no, but should I expect you to be handle reality as perfectly as everyone else and not let your depression effect how you see things? my point was about how you said she overreacted to certain things. again without saying too much, it does get more serious. but even reacting in general, doesn't your depression in some sense effect how you view things, respond etc? I figured since you do have depression you would see and understand that.

Yes, it does affect that. And I know in her position I probably would have considered suicide. You just can't know someone's thought process that ultimately determines their actions.

I am not saying suicide is ok ever, because I don't think it is. but just because I don't think it is ok, doesn't mean I don't understand how someone could still do it

I completely agree with this.

I feel like this is veering from the show into more personal ground, so let's please cease this discussion here.

sketchyheart
May 8th, 2017, 11:53 PM
SPOILER ALERT - READ AT OWN RISK

haven't watched the show, but I read the plot summary so I already know what happens. I think that the gruesome suicide scene isn't something that impressionable people should watch. I don't think it's glorifying suicide but it could trigger those with suicidal thoughts and ideation.
I think that there are other scenes that could trigger people as well (like the rape, although I'm not sure how much of that they show). So whoever does decide to watch the show, or read the book, should take caution.

Schools in our area sent out letters too, and now my dad says I can't watch it

SethfromMI
May 9th, 2017, 08:45 AM
SPOILER ALERT - READ AT OWN RISK

haven't watched the show, but I read the plot summary so I already know what happens. I think that the gruesome suicide scene isn't something that impressionable people should watch. I don't think it's glorifying suicide but it could trigger those with suicidal thoughts and ideation.
I think that there are other scenes that could trigger people as well (like the rape, although I'm not sure how much of that they show). So whoever does decide to watch the show, or read the book, should take caution.

Schools in our area sent out letters too, and now my dad says I can't watch it

it is brutal. I cringed when watching it. I watched zombies eat people on the Walking Dead, but that scene in 13 Reasons Why is very hard to watch. I don't see how anyone thinks the show was trying into glorify suicide after watching that. and then seeing how her parents react. the book was not anywhere near as impact in my view (without giving too much about the book, one is going to quickly see many differences and does not have the same feel to the show, to me, at all).

it certainly isn't a show everyone should watch, there are several scenes in it (which the show even warns the viewer before those episodes begins) which could be very hard for different people to watch.

Genegerbread
May 9th, 2017, 04:35 PM
it is brutal. I cringed when watching it. I watched zombies eat people on the Walking Dead, but that scene in 13 Reasons Why is very hard to watch. I don't see how anyone thinks the show was trying into glorify suicide after watching that. and then seeing how her parents react. the book was not anywhere near as impact in my view (without giving too much about the book, one is going to quickly see many differences and does not have the same feel to the show, to me, at all).

it certainly isn't a show everyone should watch, there are several scenes in it (which the show even warns the viewer before those episodes begins) which could be very hard for different people to watch.

Indeed, it is brutal. I completely agree that this doesn't glorify the idea of suicide, but it tells those who are suffering from depression that suicide changes those around you in such a negative way.

Personally, today's younger culture (myself included) have become accustomed to games like CS:GO and very inappropriate movies that really have no moral, but are just there. While these things are entertaining, I also believe it to be dehumanizing this culture we made to be enjoyable and to teach us all a lesson. This show, which is inappropriate, has a moral and is very important for us to watch (if we're up to the task, of course). The fact that schools are sending letters of distress out about this show and not other, much more worrying things is a bit absurd. I'd be fine if it were just warning about the content, but the way the letter sounded suggested them not wanting us teenagers to watch the show, no matter what.

I'm thinking that this is because there could be a parent who would make a lawsuit if a child from our school committed suicide. I know that's a longshot, but it's definitely a possibility. I'd like to think the administration at my school wouldn't take such an immoral action since they seem to be very conscious and keep their standards moral, but you never know.

I just hope people who need this watch it. It's important for people our age to watch this if they can bring themselves to. It was very, VERY hard to watch, and I know it will be for those who haven't watched it, but it's a very good series. It helps you understand why NOT to commit suicide. If you feel like you can bear it, I really think you should watch it if you haven't already.

I agree here. This series was far from being another blunt show about the person committing suicide being the victim and the others being the suspects. Hannah definitely had issues of her own that set her off, and we get upset at those on the tapes because we feel as if they knew she was going to kill herself, but they knew nothing of this depression she was experiencing.

I say this with caution. Hannah chose to kill herself. Being a pretty intelligent high-schooler, I would think she'd know how it changed her family and her friends. I feel bad for her, but you also need to feel bad for those who were on the tapes who feel awful. They never knew they contributed to her depression, and so the suspect/victim idea goes both ways.

ShineintheDark
May 10th, 2017, 10:55 AM
Well I've seen it and agree that it's a very vrutal portrayal of suicide. However, I can also see the point of how people can glorify it - remember, just because you know it's not a thing to be glorified and romanticised, doesn;t mean others can't. As for sensitive people being advised against it, my friend used to be in a very bad place and, even though she's now doing far better, she's made the conscious decision that it wouldn't be good for her to watch. In that way, I say leave it to the person to decide whether they can watch.

TheLivingLie
May 16th, 2017, 03:41 PM
I really don't see how it glorifies anything, what is so glorious about a load of shit things happening to someone back to back and no one realising the shit your in? Then the suicide scene was gruesome as anything could be, so I don't see how the series glorifies suicide, I think adults just don't want people to know it exists, like they don't want their children to know it's an option