PDA

View Full Version : Parents divorce

Henry333
May 7th, 2017, 11:17 AM
Recently I found out why my parents divorced. This happened 8 years ago and it was a shock to find out how it actually happened. Neither of them know that I know and I dont know what to do. Should I keep it to myself or let them know that I know

ska8er
May 7th, 2017, 06:57 PM
Unless it has been bothering u all these years
I don't c y u should bring anything up only because
u will open up wounds that maybe have healed. If
the breakup has something to do with u then it is up
to u to decide if u want to say anything but I would
talk this over with some other person that could come
between u and ur parents to discuss it. If it does not
mainly concern u then I would stay silent.

SethfromMI
May 7th, 2017, 07:18 PM
well, I guess it really depends. do you need to tell them in order to be able to process it? Some people would and if you do, then you should tell them. maybe they want you to know but have had trouble telling you. maybe they didn't want you to know yet or even at all. Without knowing your parents personally, I am going to say they probably won't be too upset at you if you tell them you know why.

all this being said, I am with Andy (@ska8er) and if knowing why they broke up really doesn't effect you in a bad way, then you don't have to tell. even if it brought you some comfort and relief, bringing it up to them could possibly reopen old wounds (not saying it would, but it could).

you can always find someone else to talk too, someone who will keep your confidence if you want to tell someone yet don't want to tell your parents. that way you can still get it out, yet it doesn't have to be to them (even though it may not have quite the same effect as if you were telling them).

Uniquemind
May 8th, 2017, 01:15 AM
This is a kind of conversation I think would be good to talk to a therapist about, and to forget about.

The only reason this topic should be revisited is if a current situation is related to that old drama is affecting you now, and only you. What is your parents business is their business.