PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in Hospital

Beach_Blonde
May 6th, 2017, 12:57 PM
So I am stuck in the hospital apparently I went into Septic Shock or someting and my heart stopped....does that mean i died???? I still dont know what to think or feel about this

Deleted User
May 6th, 2017, 03:24 PM
Clinical death involves the complete shutdown of all internal organ and brain function. So no, you did not die. However, anything that can stop your heart is serious and I don't blame you for feeling a bit shaken up over it.

Beach_Blonde
May 6th, 2017, 05:05 PM
So just because my heart stops doesnt mean Im dead

Barbara.
May 6th, 2017, 05:11 PM
In order to be considered dead you would have to be brain dead legally. Brain dead is considered to have no brain activity at all.

Deleted User
May 6th, 2017, 06:09 PM
So just because my heart stops doesnt mean Im dead

Correct. The heart can stop or beat irregularly for a variety of reasons. It's one of the main organs that keeps you functioning and without it you're not likely to live very long but just because it stops and is restarted does not count as dying. Your body was still alive because other parts of it were still functioning.

A long time ago, a stopped heart was considered death because people didn't have the resources necessary to stop the rest of the organs from failing and consequently depriving the brain of oxygen. Nowadays with ventilators and other equipment, it's easy enough to keep the oxygen and blood flow going, however if there is no more brain activity, that person is declared legally brain dead. Without the brain to tell the heart and lungs to keep pumping air and oxygen into the body, they will simply stop and the body will die as soon as any machines are turned off.

I don't know if the long answer makes you feel any better. There's a misconception (mostly shown in television) that people are considered "dead" when they stop breathing or their heart stops beating. And then they are miraculously "alive" again when their heart is restarted or they begin breathing again. That is not the case; it's just on screen drama. Contrary to most shows you may see (especially medical shows), you cannot shock a dead heart back to life or perform CPR on someone who is already dead. It's physically impossible. Therefore, if you're still alive even after your heart stopped, you were never dead to begin with.

Beach_Blonde
May 6th, 2017, 06:15 PM
I mean I guess it kinda does...you know on a metaphysical level not so much on a physical level

Deleted User
May 6th, 2017, 06:20 PM
I mean I guess it kinda does...you know on a metaphysical level not so much on a physical level

I mean, of course. The fact that your heart stopped is a very serious thing and something any sane person would be concerned about. But the point is that you are alive and there's no reason to worry that you died or anything of that sort. Doctors and nurses work around the clock to ensure that doesn't happen.

Beach_Blonde
May 6th, 2017, 06:45 PM
It was more of what happened after death is what I was worried about but if i didnt really die then nothing could actually happen

BlackParadePixie
May 8th, 2017, 01:17 AM
how did you come about going into septic shock...?