PDA

View Full Version : Lithium?

Deleted User
May 5th, 2017, 05:17 PM
Anyone else take it? Any warnings, tips, side effects?

I know it's effective and for some people it's the go-to for their bipolar disorder but I've also heard a lot of... stigmatized stories, for lack of a better term. It also has a higher risk of side effects so I'm a bit nervous to add it to my other meds.

Honestly, it's a bit of a last resort because nothing else I've tried in the last ten years has worked for me.

Abyssal Echo
May 5th, 2017, 06:34 PM
I used to take Lithium it worked pretty well for me. the only real side effect other than my mood being flatlined was dry mouth. the one thing I hated was all the blood tests that are necessary to monitor the lithium levels.

Deleted User
May 5th, 2017, 07:01 PM
I used to take Lithium it worked pretty well for me. the only real side effect other than my mood being flatlined was dry mouth. the one thing I hated was all the blood tests that are necessary to monitor the lithium levels.

Luckily, I've had upwards of 100+ needles in my lifetime so that part is not a problem. A pain to take the time out of my day to get it done but not so bad.

Good to know about the dry mouth. I didn't hear that one, just to drink a lot of water.

Abyssal Echo
May 5th, 2017, 07:12 PM
Luckily, I've had upwards of 100+ needles in my lifetime so that part is not a problem. A pain to take the time out of my day to get it done but not so bad.

Good to know about the dry mouth. I didn't hear that one, just to drink a lot of water.

Since you don't have a problem with getting blood tests done it shouldn't be a problem for you. Meh I don't like needles.... so that was an issue for me.
do drink water soda seems to make it worse...kinda dry and sticky at least it did for me.

Remora
May 6th, 2017, 12:08 AM
Anyone else take it? Any warnings, tips, side effects?

I know it's effective and for some people it's the go-to for their bipolar disorder but I've also heard a lot of... stigmatized stories, for lack of a better term. It also has a higher risk of side effects so I'm a bit nervous to add it to my other meds.

Honestly, it's a bit of a last resort because nothing else I've tried in the last ten years has worked for me.

Could you share your other meds in this post, or PM them to me, so i could hopefully figure out if it's a match? I understand if this is too personal, but i would like to learn and and maybe even come across incompatible meds.

Many patients in my internship use lithium, and it works very well for them. The things i read in their patient reports seem exaggerated with how much calmer they are during the day. It prevents bipolar depression and treats bipolar affective disorder.

Lithium should be administered after meals to reduce adverse reactions. If you're using syrup (lithium citrate), you could dilute it with juice or other flavored drinks.

You should also make sure your fluid and sodium intakes are adequate, even more so if you plan on using lithium.

Once you've started taking lithium, you'll find that frequent thirst, urination and nausea occur in the first few days of treatment, but these should stop shortly after.

Once you've began taking lithium, please don't suddenly stop taking it or suddenly adjust the dosage without consulting your prescriber.
Speaking of your prescriber; please inform them if you suffer muscle weakness, drowsiness, diarrhea, tremors, vomiting or uncoordinated body movements while under the effects of lithium.
You should see immediate emergency care if you experience fainting, lightheadedness, abnormal heart beats, or shortness of breath.

The contra-indications for lithium are (sorry for the upcoming wall of text): blood dyscrasias, bone marrow depression, brain damage, cerebrovascular disease, coma, coronary artery disease, excessive intake of other CNS depressants, hypersensitivity to lithium or its components, impaired hepatic function, myeloproliferative disorders, severe depression, severe hypertension or hypotension.

If you've got any of the things listed in the paragraph above you'll want to talk to your prescriber about it.

I hope this is enough information!
Also, 1000th post- yay!

tigers
May 6th, 2017, 12:21 AM
Me too