PDA

View Full Version : I've never been to a gyno

sarahluv
May 2nd, 2017, 09:45 PM
Hi I'm 17 and I'm sexually active and all that stuff. I get regular physicals by a family dr but not a gyno dr. My mom never talked to me about seeing one either. Can anyone tell me when I should go to the gyno?

ChloeF
May 2nd, 2017, 10:33 PM
If you're sexually active, a check up every year is recommended l think.

angelina
May 3rd, 2017, 12:07 AM
If you're sexually active, a check up every year is recommended l think.
you are right...but for our age it is not required till we feel we are healthy in mammary and genital parts..

sarahluv
May 3rd, 2017, 01:11 AM
you are right...but for our age it is not required till we feel we are healthy in mammary and genital parts..
Oh okay thanks

ChloeF
May 3rd, 2017, 03:59 AM

Age is irrelavent, STD's and gynecological health issues don't discriminate. lf you're sexually active then regular check ups are recommended.

ClaraWho
May 3rd, 2017, 04:13 AM
In the U.K. you only go if you feel there is an issue or something rapidly changes. Should also say that I've never had a 'school physical' either, even for sports. I have occasional blood pressure, heart rate tests, etc. but nothing intrusive or requiring stripping off.

These regular checks seem very much to be driven by insurance companies wanting to have regular income, rather than an actual need. I posted a link to an article on this a while back I think..

~ Clara

BlackParadePixie
May 3rd, 2017, 01:51 PM

Age is irrelavent, STD's and gynecological health issues don't discriminate. lf you're sexually active then regular check ups are recommended.

yeah...I mean that's kind of the whole reason you go. To make sure everything is OK and working properly.

veroda
May 3rd, 2017, 06:00 PM
In the U.K. you only go if you feel there is an issue or something rapidly changes. Should also say that I've never had a 'school physical' either, even for sports. I have occasional blood pressure, heart rate tests, etc. but nothing intrusive or requiring stripping off.

These regular checks seem very much to be driven by insurance companies wanting to have regular income, rather than an actual need. I posted a link to an article on this a while back I think..

~ Clara

Im canadian so Im not sure that insurance thing applies to me... and I saw read something about that a few days ago possibly your post but Im not sure...

I had my first and only gyno experience a few weeks ago because I had caught a nasty kidney infection and it was highly recommended that Id see one "just to be sure"... however the gyno himself said I was healthy and given my age and such there was little reason for me to see him any time soon and said I could wait up to two years... I believe that a first checkup is kinda important just in case you had a medical condition you werent aware of or such but I agree that most of us definitely dont need annual or semiannual exams... and I remember reading a line that said "whats the point of screening 11 years old girls for specific cervical cancers while there are little to no known cases for women under 25?" same about "semiannual breast screenings for teens and preteens which breast arent even fully grown yet?"

ClaraWho
May 3rd, 2017, 07:47 PM
Im canadian so Im not sure that insurance thing applies to me... and I saw read something about that a few days ago possibly your post but Im not sure...

I had my first and only gyno experience a few weeks ago because I had caught a nasty kidney infection and it was highly recommended that Id see one "just to be sure"... however the gyno himself said I was healthy and given my age and such there was little reason for me to see him any time soon and said I could wait up to two years... I believe that a first checkup is kinda important just in case you had a medical condition you werent aware of or such but I agree that most of us definitely dont need annual or semiannual exams... and I remember reading a line that said "whats the point of screening 11 years old girls for specific cervical cancers while there are little to no known cases for women under 25?" same about "semiannual breast screenings for teens and preteens which breast arent even fully grown yet?"

Canada is a one payment system for national health service if I recall correctly?

It does seem to singly be countries with health insurance that determine these invasive check-ups are necessary... which makes sense.

If you can charge for each screening then it makes sense to promote it as needed, to create a culture and a myth around it. What decent parent takes risks with their child's health, right?

Nobody openly talks about the points you raised, and even if they did, again would you risk it if doctors said you should be screened?

There was an article recently about how breast screening healthy women often leads to false positives, with a lot of time and money spent on wild goose chases. Same goes for why doctors outside insurance systems will discourage random scans, as they tend to show abnormalities that are perfectly healthy, but can lead to false positives too. And why insurance driven health providers are so quick to suggest operations, rather sinisterly, such as unnecessary circumcision.

It also makes sense for schools in America to have requirements to do intrusive, comprehensive physicals for sports. The insurance companies don't want to pay out for all that expensive treatment should you have any slight physical ailment prior, and collapse on the pitch, etc. They'd rather prohibit you from taking part and save money.

In the U.K. we don't have these screenings. Instead you are encouraged to check for lumps and report any issues with health to your general doctor. They will never ask you to get naked unless you report an issue with your genitals for example. For sports, treatment for injury is paid for by taxes so nobody is checked.

The most notable thing to realise is that the incidence of illness/injury is identical in both countries. Sorry for such a long post, but what I am saying is that if you feel uncomfortable having physicals, you shouldn't feel scared about your health if you refuse or wait until something is ACTUALLY WRONG.

~ Clara

BaronessJamison
May 10th, 2017, 10:00 PM
definitely if you're sexually active... otherwise 18 is good unless you have a history of problems or someone in your family does

ShilaFit
May 12th, 2017, 07:01 AM
And don't be afraid.. they are all professionals (well, most of them..)