PDA

View Full Version : March 2017 Sets Alarming Record

mattsmith48
April 26th, 2017, 10:00 AM
https://thinkprogress.org/march-set-remarkable-global-warming-record-dfa2349c84c5

No month before March 2017 had ever exceeded the “normal” temperature (the 1981–2010 average) by a full 1.8°F (1.0°C) — “in the absence of an El Niño episode in the tropical Pacific Ocean.”

Another month, another record, but who gives a shit if this planet is rapidly becoming a toxic unliveable shithole, probably just God being pissed for abortion and gay marriage.

refrigeratorx
April 26th, 2017, 10:23 AM
Or probably because of the abuse of earth by humans to make money

PlasmaHam
April 26th, 2017, 10:28 AM
We should totally trust these people. I mean, the mascots for the global warmers are a mechanical engineer with no scientific background, an actor who most memorable scene is him being mawed by a CGI bear, and a washed-up politician who said that ice-caps would have completely melted years ago. Yep, we can totally trust these people!

If you look at old records from the 1970's, you can see people making the exact same "predictions" as people are today regarding the environment. But given that we aren't experiencing a global food crisis, melted ice caps, fish-less rivers, and a toxic America, my faith regarding these environmental disaster conspiracy theories have waned.

refrigeratorx
April 26th, 2017, 10:54 AM
We should totally trust these people. I mean, the mascots for the global warmers are a mechanical engineer with no scientific background, an actor who most memorable scene is him being mawed by a CGI bear, and a washed-up politician who said that ice-caps would have completely melted years ago. Yep, we can totally trust these people!

If you look at old records from the 1970's, you can see people making the exact same "predictions" as people are today regarding the environment. But given that we aren't experiencing a global food crisis, melted ice caps, fish-less rivers, and a toxic America, my faith regarding these environmental disaster conspiracy theories have waned.

So are you saying that climate change is natural and has nothing to do with any human impacts?

Uniquemind
April 26th, 2017, 12:34 PM
https://thinkprogress.org/march-set-remarkable-global-warming-record-dfa2349c84c5

Another month, another record, but who gives a shit if this planet is rapidly becoming a toxic unliveable shithole, probably just God being pissed for abortion and gay marriage.

Or probably because of the abuse of earth by humans to make money

Also since there's God mentioned here, might I remind everyone that God will be angered at any violation of 10 commandments and those not loving others as they do themselves, one most politically unjustified but common belief is that God awarded those in western society who are rich and that therefore because they donate to charity they are not considered wicked or therefore are good people. Scripture says that there is not a single person that does good by God's definition. Also those at the financial top, are always concerned about economic growth, and more profit always, but those job requirements directly contradict Greed as sinful. So the religion and certain ways of thinking in certain jobs is directly at odds with the faith.

It's happening and the biggest impact is that farmers are losing their bees.

We had a lot of backup beehive reserves, that's why we haven't felt food shortages, and China exports a lot of food to the west.

As soon as trade relations dry up, AND our domestic emergency beehive supplies are exhausted you'll see the food prices hike upwards AND THEN shortages, but that's one of the last impacts you'll see, not the first.

You also have to give the Clean Air Act credit where credit is due, between 1970's and now, there are some actions that were taken that bought us some more time. So of course those adjustments need to be taken into account.

refrigeratorx
April 26th, 2017, 01:23 PM
So I think it's safe to say your God isn't responsible here.

mattsmith48
April 26th, 2017, 02:22 PM
When I brought God it was as joke, this is the most serious issue humanity is facing please abstain from bring up fairy tales and conspiracy theories and use scientific facts.

PlasmaHam 2016 was the hottest year on record, beating the previous record which was 2015, and before 2015 the hottest year was 2014. From march 2015 to August 2016 all set the record for the hottest month that's 16 consecutive record-setting months, seeing a trend yet? Where losing the ice caps are melting greater rate then ever before its so bad Santa as to move now. Nigeria, Somalia, South Sudan and Yemen are all facing famines with more then 20 millions people starving to death, there is water wars happening rightnow in the Middle East. Meanwhile you're bringing up unfounded conspiracy theories.

refrigeratorx
April 26th, 2017, 02:25 PM
When I brought God it was as joke, this is the most serious issue humanity is facing please abstain from bring up fairy tales and conspiracy theories.

Idk why I didn't see the joke there. I was worried hahahah

Dmaxd123
April 26th, 2017, 06:29 PM
we have an impact on the climate but I don't think it's the alarming degree that many think. I think a lot of climate change is cyclical 10-50-100+ year trends

local radio station says daily high's & lows for a few different locations and some years we are the coldest since 1960's when the guy started other years it's the hottest day he has recorded, other times the hottest day on record was in the 70's

Uniquemind
April 26th, 2017, 08:58 PM
we have an impact on the climate but I don't think it's the alarming degree that many think. I think a lot of climate change is cyclical 10-50-100+ year trends

local radio station says daily high's & lows for a few different locations and some years we are the coldest since 1960's when the guy started other years it's the hottest day he has recorded, other times the hottest day on record was in the 70's

That's because the pendulum swings both ways statistically on both extremes due to climate change.

The term global warming is bad marketing terminology.

ShineintheDark
April 27th, 2017, 12:12 PM
The most amazing thing I've seen a lot of deniers do is bring up stats about places being colder than usual. Because long-term trends don't really seem to bother them, just as long as Wisconsin was actually colder than a couple days ago.

Devinsoccer
April 27th, 2017, 02:58 PM
There is no such thing as golbal warning.
Trump is WRONG

eric2001
April 27th, 2017, 03:38 PM
I hope the world still exists when we grow up.

BlackParadePixie
April 27th, 2017, 08:05 PM
2016 was the hottest year on record, beating the previous record which was 2015, and before 2015 the hottest year was 2014. From march 2015 to August 2016 all set the record for the hottest month that's 16 consecutive record-setting months, seeing a trend yet? Where losing the ice caps are melting greater rate then ever before its so bad Santa as to move now. Nigeria, Somalia, South Sudan and Yemen are all facing famines with more then 20 millions people starving to death, there is water wars happening rightnow in the Middle East. Meanwhile you're bringing up unfounded conspiracy theories.
Can you provide any legitimate sources for any of this? Or are you just repeating what you saw on the internet?

PlasmaHam
April 27th, 2017, 10:13 PM
It's happening and the biggest impact is that farmers are losing their bees.
The decline in bee populations is alarming, but it has nothing to do with climate change. Most point towards bee population plummeting due to a "plague" sweeping through the bee community. Scientists claim that exposure to pesticide has weakened the immune system of some bees, allowing the easier spread of disease. This is of serious concern, but not related to climate change in anyway.

mattsmith48, you are insisting correlation implies causation, but that is very thin argument. Let me present you with some facts which I will elaborate on:

The Earth does consistent cycles of climate variations throughout history. The Middle Ages were likely a warm period, the 1800s are described by some to be some to be the coldest century of the last millennium. It is not ridiculous to assume that we are experiencing a natural warming period. If we go by the pattern presented through history, we are due for one.

The ice caps melting is a conspiracy theory. A study presented by those crazy conspiracy theorists over at NASA goes to show that the Ice Caps are still growing at a decent rate. I guess you get your "facts" from the same scientists who said the Ice caps would be completely melted by 2013.

There have been droughts and famines all throughout history in all regions of the world. The 1930's for instance presented a very dry spell for North America, which lasted for over 10 years. If you look back you will see even bigger droughts. I see no reason why I should correlate these droughts and famines to climate change, when we have seen far worse long before you claim climate change started.

This is not ROTW though, so lets not continue this pointless argument. You are just going to bring up more unsupported claims and just call anyone who disagrees with you a conspiracy theorist anyway.

The most amazing thing I've seen a lot of deniers do is bring up stats about places being colder than usual. Because long-term trends don't really seem to bother them, just as long as Wisconsin was actually colder than a couple days ago.
I've seen hundreds of climate change advocates claiming that natural climate patterns are caused by climate change. They literally expect us to believe that every single weather calamity from hurricanes to droughts are caused by global warming. And if we have a hotter than average weather pattern, they suddenly claim that is proof of global warming while dissing on people who claim that colder than average weather patterns are proof it isn't happening. I don't know about you, but I am pretty sure that hot weather and droughts/hurricanes existed a long time before the global warming conspiracy theory came up.

Can you provide any legitimate sources for any of this? Or are you just repeating what you saw on the internet?
This is how I feel for all my debates with this guy;).

Periphery
April 28th, 2017, 12:27 AM
But given that we aren't experiencing a global food crisis, melted ice caps, fish-less rivers, and a toxic America, my faith regarding these environmental disaster conspiracy theories have waned.

I would like you to take a look at Africa. It's not because it's only a major food crisis in one part of the world that it's not a problem. Ice caps are melting, if you deny that you're just downright ignorant. You guys won't experience it, but just so you know, we over here will have our coasts flooded if the sea level keeps rising because of the caps melting.

Uniquemind
April 28th, 2017, 02:33 AM
Well Iceland and Greenland see the effects of Climate change as do the polar bears.

If global warming is not occurring Polar bears existing throughout all the millenia would have had an extinction event long before the 1940's if this hot and cold cycles of Earth are to be seen as normal.

I do think the science is sound on this and it is news worthy, the debate on whether it exists and is normal is not a sound debate.

Permafrost is declining, and now depending on ice melt and satellite photos taken of the ice caps you could blur the line and exaggerate the concept of more or less Ice being there. The problem is what kind of ice is it in terms of water/ice that melts as re-freezes throughout the year, or solid strong permafrost ice that is unchanging annually despite season.

mattsmith48
April 28th, 2017, 11:17 AM
Sure about from NASA? You can't have more legitimate source than the people studying the thing.

Five of the first six months of 2016 also set records for the smallest respective monthly Arctic sea ice extent since consistent satellite records began in 1979, according to analyses developed by scientists at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, in Greenbelt, Maryland. The one exception, March, recorded the second smallest extent for that month.

While these two key climate indicators have broken records in 2016, NASA scientists said it is more significant that global temperature and Arctic sea ice are continuing their decades-long trends of change. Both trends are ultimately driven by rising concentrations of heat-trapping carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/climate-trends-continue-to-break-records

Every year, the cap of frozen seawater floating on top of the Arctic Ocean and its neighboring seas melts during the spring and summer and grows back in the fall and winter months, reaching its maximum yearly extent between February and April. On March 24, Arctic sea ice extent peaked at 5.607 million square miles (14.52 million square kilometers), a new record low winter maximum extent in the satellite record that started in 1979. It is slightly smaller than the previous record low maximum extent of 5.612 million square miles (14.54 million square kilometers) that occurred last year. The 13 smallest maximum extents on the satellite record have happened in the last 13 years.
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/2016-arctic-sea-ice-wintertime-extent-hits-another-record-low

Most of the warming occurred in the past 35 years, with 16 of the 17 warmest years on record occurring since 2001. Not only was 2016 the warmest year on record, but eight of the 12 months that make up the year – from January through September, with the exception of June – were the warmest on record for those respective months. October, November, and December of 2016 were the second warmest of those months on record – in all three cases, behind records set in 2015.
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-noaa-data-show-2016-warmest-year-on-record-globally

Arctic sea ice appears to have reached on March 7 a record low wintertime maximum extent, according to scientists at NASA and the NASA-supported National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) in Boulder, Colorado. And on the opposite side of the planet, on March 3 sea ice around Antarctica hit its lowest extent ever recorded by satellites at the end of summer in the Southern Hemisphere, a surprising turn of events after decades of moderate sea ice expansion.

On Feb. 13, the combined Arctic and Antarctic sea ice numbers were at their lowest point since satellites began to continuously measure sea ice in 1979. Total polar sea ice covered 6.26 million square miles (16.21 million square kilometers), which is 790,000 square miles (2 million square kilometers) less than the average global minimum extent for 1981-2010 – the equivalent of having lost a chunk of sea ice larger than Mexico.
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/sea-ice-extent-sinks-to-record-lows-at-both-poles

Let me know if you need more.

The ice caps melting is a conspiracy theory. A study presented by those crazy conspiracy theorists over at NASA goes to show that the Ice Caps are still growing at a decent rate.

I know you like conspiracy theories, but you can't really be that dumb.

You are right on one thing, this is not a debate. This is a discussion on the setting of yet another alarming record, so leave your bullshit out of this.

Bull
April 28th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Trump is WRONG

Global warming is a fact. It has been going on for centuries. What do deniers think ended the ice age?
Climate change happens. Like it or not it happens. We all contribute to the environmental changes that trigger changes in climatic conditions: hence climate change.

To all the ostriches out there: get your head out of the sand (or your ass) and look at what is going on around you!

BlackParadePixie
April 28th, 2017, 03:51 PM
Let me know if you need more.

Hmmmm, but NASA also says that the Antarctic sea ice hit an all time maximum in 2014...
https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/antarctic-sea-ice-reaches-new-record-maximum

How can that be...?

mattsmith48
April 28th, 2017, 04:20 PM
Hmmmm, but NASA also says that the Antarctic sea ice hit an all time maximum in 2014...
https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/antarctic-sea-ice-reaches-new-record-maximum

How can that be...?

I read the article and they point out a few hypothesis that could explain it.

PlasmaHam
April 28th, 2017, 05:24 PM
I read the article and they point out a few hypothesis that could explain it.

Mind elaborating?

mattsmith48
April 28th, 2017, 05:40 PM
Mind elaborating?

She posted the link, what stops you from reading the thing?

PlasmaHam
April 28th, 2017, 05:46 PM
She posted the link, what stops you from reading the thing?
She brought up some data, and used the link to back it up, like a good debater.

You didn't bring up any data. If climate change is so real then atleast write two sentences to defend it.

mattsmith48
April 28th, 2017, 06:05 PM

You didn't bring up any data. If climate change is so real then atleast write two sentences to defend it.

This is not a debate. If you don't want to be called stupid or a conspiracy theorist you would prove it by clicking on that link and informing yourself.

Periphery
April 29th, 2017, 12:26 AM

How can that be...?

I'm not sure if you know but just read the first few sentences and it's already explained. There is a difference between the Antarctic sea and the Arctic.

For those too lazy to read the links they use:

Antarctica and the Arctic are two very different environments: the former is a continent surrounded by ocean, the latter is ocean enclosed by land. As a result, sea ice behaves very differently in the two regions. While the Antarctic sea ice yearly wintertime maximum extent hit record highs from 2012 to 2014 before returning to average levels in 2015, both the Arctic wintertime maximum and its summer minimum extent have been in a sharp decline for the past decades. Studies show that globally, the decreases in Arctic sea ice far exceed the increases in Antarctic sea ice.

If you want to bring up data into your debates, atleast read past the title of an article.

Periphery
April 29th, 2017, 09:57 AM

Or you can be mature and not bash someone everytime you disagree with them. Maybe you can stop with your "I'm always right and everyone else is stupid and an asshole" attitude because I'm pretty sure most of us here are getting tired of it right now. There's no need for you to act like this, there's no need for you to turn everything into a debate where you enforce your opinions down everyone's throat. You really think you're so smart and great but whenever someone replies to your post and that post they write shows you're wrong, you just stop replying and pretend "it's not worth replying".

Porpoise101
May 2nd, 2017, 09:32 PM
It's kind of morbidly funny that you deny everything that is actually happening.
we aren't experiencing a global food crisisEast and Subsaharan Africa are essentially starving right now because of drought and conflict. These were up and coming regions in the world and they are going to be stunted further from the damage to the food supply. It's important to know that this follows climate change projections of a drier and less habitable Africa. Yes, we are producing more food than ever before. But the ways we produce food are quite wasteful and unsustainable. Food isn't allocated efficiently. Even in the US a significant portion of our nation is malnourished.
melted ice capsOthers have brought this stuff up already, but I have a personal story with this. A few summers back I went to Glacier National Park. They have comparison pictures and you can see the physical recession of these ice sheets in person without going to the poles. It made it very real.
fish-less rivers With the increased amounts of dams in the West, salmon and sturgeon stocks have rapidly decreased. Even with salmon ladders, the warming of the rivers has slowly decreased oxygen levels and reduced their numbers greatly. Add some other issues like pollution, water overuse, and invasive species, and you have a recipe for the destruction of inland fisheries. But you are right, the rivers are faring much better than the maritime fish populations.
and a toxic AmericaYou are kidding right? Our country isn't​ really being intoxicated anymore, but we are still cleaning up messes from the industrial revolution. If you go to the EPA's website and look at Superfund sites, then you can see pretty clearly hundreds of contaminated and toxic sites being cleaned up. Even old constructions in our cities are polluted, all you have to do is look at the hubub over lead in Flint and other poor areas in the US where kids are being stunted from lead poisoning.

Uniquemind
May 2nd, 2017, 09:36 PM

How can that be...?

Because sea ice is different from permafrost ice.

mattsmith48
May 2nd, 2017, 11:04 PM
It's kind of morbidly funny that you deny everything that is actually happening.
East and Subsaharan Africa are essentially starving right now because of drought and conflict. These were up and coming regions in the world and they are going to be stunted further from the damage to the food supply. It's important to know that this follows climate change projections of a drier and less habitable Africa. Yes, we are producing more food than ever before. But the ways we produce food are quite wasteful and unsustainable. Food isn't allocated efficiently. Even in the US a significant portion of our nation is malnourished.
Others have brought this stuff up already, but I have a personal story with this. A few summers back I went to Glacier National Park. They have comparison pictures and you can see the physical recession of these ice sheets in person without going to the poles. It made it very real.
With the increased amounts of dams in the West, salmon and sturgeon stocks have rapidly decreased. Even with salmon ladders, the warming of the rivers has slowly decreased oxygen levels and reduced their numbers greatly. Add some other issues like pollution, water overuse, and invasive species, and you have a recipe for the destruction of inland fisheries. But you are right, the rivers are faring much better than the maritime fish populations.
You are kidding right? Our country isn't​ really being intoxicated anymore, but we are still cleaning up messes from the industrial revolution. If you go to the EPA's website and look at Superfund sites, then you can see pretty clearly hundreds of contaminated and toxic sites being cleaned up. Even old constructions in our cities are polluted, all you have to do is look at the hubub over lead in Flint and other poor areas in the US where kids are being stunted from lead poisoning.

Great response, but useless PlasmaHam is probably not even gonna read your post.

Professional Russian
May 19th, 2017, 08:35 AM
Trump is WRONG

global warming doesnt exist. the earth has a natural heating and cooling cycle. it takes centuries but it still happens. green house gas have little to no affect on it. its just the earth going through its phases. eventually therell be another ice age

mattsmith48
May 19th, 2017, 09:01 AM
global warming doesnt exist. the earth has a natural heating and cooling cycle. it takes centuries but it still happens. green house gas have little to no affect on it. its just the earth going through its phases. eventually therell be another ice age

Climate Change is the most important issue in human history and stories like this are alarming and should be taken seriously, this is no place for conspiracy theorists to spread their bullshit.

Professional Russian
May 19th, 2017, 11:12 AM
Climate Change is the most important issue in human history and stories like this are alarming and should be taken seriously, this is no place for conspiracy theorists to spread their bullshit.

the natural cycle isnt a conspiracy its a fact. its happened all tbrough history. the tempature goes up and comes back down and the cycle goes on and on. 1.8 degrees or whatever it was isnt anything to be scared over. it jumped like 10 degrees id be worried but not over an amount you cant even physically notice

mattsmith48
May 19th, 2017, 11:53 AM
the natural cycle isnt a conspiracy its a fact. its happened all tbrough history. the tempature goes up and comes back down and the cycle goes on and on. 1.8 degrees or whatever it was isnt anything to be scared over. it jumped like 10 degrees id be worried but not over an amount you cant even physically notice

Every scientists in the world disagree with everything you said so far. Conspiracy theories, science denying or just stupid, I don't care what you want me to call what you are saying, just don't bring up your bullshit in here

Professional Russian
May 19th, 2017, 11:58 AM
Every scientists in the world disagree with everything you said so far. Conspiracy theories, science denying or just stupid, I don't care what you want me to call what you are saying, just don't bring up your bullshit in here

so its more likely that were destroying the earth with CO2 now but the indutrial revolution that was mostly coal and other bad shit didnt? mhmm

ShineintheDark
May 19th, 2017, 12:21 PM
so its more likely that were destroying the earth with CO2 now but the indutrial revolution that was mostly coal and other bad shit didnt? mhmm
To be fair in regards to your point: A. We still use a similar if not more coal now than we did before due to power stations, old style electrical grids, production etc
B. CO2 doesn't just disappear from the atmosphere the second we stop producing it so it's not unrealistic to believe it's built up SINCE then, meaning all CO2 released then remained if a little disappeared over time

mattsmith48
May 19th, 2017, 12:23 PM

The industrial revolution is what started the whole thing and greenhouse gases like CO2 have been accumulating into the atmosphere ever since causing heat from the sun to be trapped in the atmosphere heating the planet. The same thing happened on Venus except there it happened naturally.

Professional Russian
May 19th, 2017, 12:31 PM
The industrial revolution is what started the whole thing and greenhouse gases like CO2 have been accumulating into the atmosphere ever since causing heat from the sun to be trapped in the atmosphere heating the planet. The same thing happened on Venus except there it happened naturally.

then by this theory is all humans fault since we breath on oxygen and breath out co2.

Amethyst Rose
May 19th, 2017, 12:36 PM
The VT Daily Chronicle :arrow2: Ramblings of the Wise

This has turned into a debate, thus this is the proper place for it.

mattsmith48
May 19th, 2017, 12:59 PM
then by this theory is all humans fault since we breath on oxygen and breath out co2.

Humans and animals breathing alone does not produce enough CO2 to change the Earth's climate by them self, the quantity of CO2 we produce when breathing can be converted into oxygen by plants.

user-999
May 19th, 2017, 01:56 PM
Yeah. Here in Latvia we also had a record. It was snowing on 10th of may. The latest it has ever been.

Matryoshkasystem
May 19th, 2017, 03:52 PM
Global warming is hpappening, but not to the extent it's brodcasted at. We probably are hellping it warm up faster than normal, but at the same time this is natural. Also part of the reason for Africa's problem isn't global warming but deforestation. As they mindlesssly chop down their rainforests that is becoming desert.

mattsmith48
May 19th, 2017, 05:41 PM
After March beat a record, April 2017 was the second warmest April on record.

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2587/april-2017-was-second-warmest-april-on-record/

Uniquemind
June 12th, 2017, 01:02 AM
Might I add that youtuber Thunderfoot, has a good video addressing global warming denialist's and why their position is incorrect.

He does his own math and he is a scientists and while I don't agree with everything he says, I agree with him on this topic.

I need to ask permission to link that youtube video though. Mods?

Human
June 19th, 2017, 11:32 PM
I really think individual data points such as OP stated do not show evidence of global warming. It's just an outlying piece of data. Not to say climate change isn't occurring though.

mattsmith48
June 20th, 2017, 12:28 AM
I really think individual data points such as OP stated do not show evidence of global warming. It's just an outlying piece of data. Not to say climate change isn't occurring though.

Individually no, but when put together confirms that this planet is dangerously getting warmer and that something should be done.

Uniquemind
June 24th, 2017, 02:28 AM
UPDATE:

Okay so this is an update to my post above as I have gotten permission to link to this youtube video.

This is a controversial youtuber by the handle Thunderfoot, but he has done what a lot of you all ask regarding someone who talks about the global warming subject, citing data at a specific levels and also zooms out looking at data trending decades.

He cites his sources and he takes a specific rebuttal to an argument against global warming that has argued that warming stopped in 1998 and hasn't gotten significantly hotter since and that sea ice satellite photos are proof.

http://youtu.be/Pm8msUaTqnU

Please watch , listen and think, and challenge your own held beliefs.