PDA

View Full Version : Humanity

Raven Foxx
April 19th, 2017, 10:20 PM
Does anyone ever feel like humanity is pointless? That even jobs and education are things we just made up? People are always saying that everyone has a purpose, but that is not true. humans just feel like they need a purpose. Purposes are just things that we created. Without them, some people may be happier. What if it's better that we have no purpose?

Bmble_B
April 19th, 2017, 11:15 PM
I see where you're coming from. Honestly I feel like humanity is a HUGE mistake, but our "purpose" should be to make the best from that mistake.

mattsmith48
April 19th, 2017, 11:28 PM
We are just another species on this planet and we evolved to a point where because of our intelligence we feel like have to create those things to make us feel special or superior to every other animals.

ChloeF
April 20th, 2017, 03:05 AM
Humanity does have it's failings but l think l'm happier living in a house than l would be in a cave. l'm warm and safe at night, l don't have to worry about being eaten or attacked by wild animals and l don't have to walk everywhere either.
Without jobs or education, l don't think my parents would be able to provide that.

ShineintheDark
April 20th, 2017, 08:19 AM
The best we can do is GIVE humanity a purpose by helping each other and making conditions for all of humanity better. That way our purpose is self-sufficient.

Human
April 21st, 2017, 10:11 PM
Of course there's no ultimate purpose, we are less than ants in the scale of the universe. Make your own purpose.

RavenTheGoddess
April 24th, 2017, 03:08 PM
We do have a purpose. Survival.

eric2001
April 24th, 2017, 04:04 PM
We're just microscopic specks in the universe.

Porpoise101
April 24th, 2017, 08:33 PM
Yo guys what about the big G-O-D! That's a purpose, no? PlasmaHam hasn't been proselytizing enough obviously!

Man, it is amazing that we have so many nihilists on here. Not that that is bad, but I remember when this place was at least 50% theological debate.

Voice_Of_Unreason
April 24th, 2017, 08:52 PM
Yo guys what about the big G-O-D! That's a purpose, no? PlasmaHam hasn't been proselytizing enough obviously!

Man, it is amazing that we have so many nihilists on here. Not that that is bad, but I remember when this place was at least 50% theological debate.
I had no idea VT was so nihiltist, I need to step up my game!:P

The amount of consensus on this thread is alarming. I don't see how someone can have a happy and successful life without at-least acknowledging some purpose for it. Doesn't even have to be religion, just some purpose. However, I do think the decrease of religion in people's lives has lead to this increased level of nihilism, and that has consequently resulted in many negatives across the Western world like increased suicides and shootings.

I do wish ROTW would return to the days of theological diversity. A few months back we had a Catholic, a Jew, a Muslim, and a Hindu constanty chatting in this forum. Nowadays it is just atheists and the occasional Protestant. I would debate more if there were more diversity of opinion, but this place has grown so stagnant.

mattsmith48
April 25th, 2017, 10:31 AM
I had no idea VT was so nihiltist, I need to step up my game!:P

The amount of consensus on this thread is alarming. I don't see how someone can have a happy and successful life without at-least acknowledging some purpose for it. Doesn't even have to be religion, just some purpose. However, I do think the decrease of religion in people's lives has lead to this increased level of nihilism, and that has consequently resulted in many negatives across the Western world like increased suicides and shootings.

I do wish ROTW would return to the days of theological diversity. A few months back we had a Catholic, a Jew, a Muslim, and a Hindu constanty chatting in this forum. Nowadays it is just atheists and the occasional Protestant. I would debate more if there were more diversity of opinion, but this place has grown so stagnant.

I wouldn't say its alarming, more people are simply realizing that humans don't have more of a purpose than any other species on earth.

As for religion I think the fact there is more people who identify as Atheists or Agnostics is a good thing, most of them are more rational people and its easier to have an adult conversation with them where they don't make shit up or bring up crazy conspiracy theories.

Voice_Of_Unreason
April 26th, 2017, 12:45 PM
As for religion I think the fact there is more people who identify as Atheists or Agnostics is a good thing, most of them are more rational people and its easier to have an adult conversation with them where they don't make shit up or bring up crazy conspiracy theories.
Thank you for proving my point, great example of what I am talking about.

As demonstrated here, basic human decency, respect, and value of life has been replaced with irreligious principles of pride, disrespect, and decreasing value of life. And these values result in a person who is more negative and more likely to be dependent on drugs, like marijuana, and physical pleasure like sex to achieve temporary happiness. This negativity can result in an individual more prone to mental illness and suicide, and their lack of purpose can lead to personal stagnation, which can result in a plethora of mental and physical problems.

mattsmith48
April 26th, 2017, 03:12 PM

As demonstrated here, basic human decency, respect, and value of life has been replaced with irreligious principles of pride, disrespect, and decreasing value of life. And these values result in a person who is more negative and more likely to be dependent on drugs, like marijuana, and physical pleasure like sex to achieve temporary happiness. This negativity can result in an individual more prone to mental illness and suicide, and their lack of purpose can lead to personal stagnation, which can result in a plethora of mental and physical problems.

You have to explain a couple things to me
1. how am I proving your point with what I said?

2. Why every you the religious person advocating for is representing those ''irreligious principles'' you mention above and me an Atheist is not?

And finally pot and sex and great healthy activities that can help relive stress and anxiety caused by the society we live and that can lead to depression and suicide.

maddogmj77
April 26th, 2017, 09:47 PM
There is no intrinsic purpose to life besides living as long as possible and reproducing.

Other than that, your purpose is what you decide to make it.

People can choose to dedicate their lives to Scientific research, music/arts, family, religion, and some struggle to find any purpose at all. (ME! :confused: :()

Leprous
April 27th, 2017, 03:00 PM

I would like statistics on your claim. Are you just saying that, or do you actually know what you're talking about here?

Voice_Of_Unreason
May 19th, 2017, 08:47 PM
I would like statistics on your claim. Are you just saying that, or do you actually know what you're talking about here?

Personal observations, I never claimed that they were solid fact. Given that this whole thread is based around personal observations of the world, I didn't much feel the need. And if personal observations for some reason need sources, how come you never once asked MattSmith for statistics regarding his anti-religious ramblings?

Raven Foxx
May 19th, 2017, 11:32 PM
Well, this escalated quickly...

Humanity isn't exactly pointless, but we made up almost everything in our environment. I can't even say how many times I've looked at a table lamp and thought, "what if this was never intended? What if this was never invented?" Gosh, it is nerve wracking...