PDA

View Full Version : Liberals Table Bills To Legalize Marijuana

mattsmith48
April 13th, 2017, 05:56 PM
About time they keep a promise

The Liberal government has tabled legislation to end the prohibition on pot, checking off a major promise from the 2015 campaign.

The pot plan comes with two new bills; one to regulate the recreational use, sale and cultivation of marijuana, and a second that strengthens measures to stop impaired driving.

It would allow people to possess up to 30 grams of dried or fresh cannabis and sets the minimum at 18 years of age, though provinces and territories can set a higher legal age.

Consumers can grow up to four plants at home or buy from a licensed retailer. Dried and fresh pot and cannabis oil will be available first, with edible products to become available later.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/marijuana-legal-bill-1.4069178

Just JT
April 14th, 2017, 06:29 AM
Sound similar, but more advanced laws we have in Massachusetts. I'm for it. Tbh, even though I'm under age, yeah I've been smoking some the past few months for postoperavite and PT pain. I'd prefer that to opiates anyday. Not as addictive, not as hard on your body, more fun and just over all makes you feel better. But that for medical use I guess

For recreational use, sure why not. Good revenue, more jobs, less crime, win win win imo

Devinsoccer
April 14th, 2017, 10:35 PM
For recreational use, sure why not. Good revenue, more jobs, less crime, win win win imo

Id have to beg to differ on this one. Good revinue, for who? Unless the tax on it is rediculus, the only person getting the good money is the already super rich drug dealer. More jobs? What a few clerks per store making minimum wage? Less crime? On drug abuse sure, since its been legalized. On the streats? Depends on how people act when their high on this stuff. They may not act like you. They could do some bad stuff.

Just JT
April 14th, 2017, 10:53 PM
Id have to beg to differ on this one. Good revinue, for who? Unless the tax on it is rediculus, the only person getting the good money is the already super rich drug dealer. More jobs? What a few clerks per store making minimum wage? Less crime? On drug abuse sure, since its been legalized. On the streats? Depends on how people act when their high on this stuff. They may not act like you. They could do some bad stuff.

Revenue for the local and state govt if they legalize it
With tax it's really not much more cost than what's on the street
Jobs? It's creating a legalized taxed legitimized industry
How much "clerks" get paid is a market condition
Yes less crime, one less illegal "drug" (very common illegal drug) police need to fight. So law enforcement can fight other crimes seemingly more pressing than some weed. Like murder rape extortion or child abuse
How people react on the street? Sure I'll give you that one. There's really no way to test that. But from my experience, I'd say I'd rather have a few guys fishbowling it on the freeways doing 45 than some drunk asshole take out a family driving shitfaced

Just my opinion on that one. Feel free to trash me on it if you wanan

skyblue1
April 17th, 2017, 01:50 PM
I don't really get why it's illegal if alcohol isn't anyway

MissQuestionMark
April 22nd, 2017, 10:37 AM
Wouldn't taking money away from drug dealers and criminals be a good enough reason alone?

PlasmaHam
April 22nd, 2017, 10:44 AM
Wouldn't taking money away from drug dealers and criminals be a good enough reason alone?
The problem is, using that logic we ought to legalize all illegal substances to take money from criminals. But there are some negatives to legalizing illegal substances.

Anyways, even if it becomes legal there will still be an illegal trade of marijuana, especially if taxes similar to that on tobacco are implemented on the sale of it.

MissQuestionMark
April 22nd, 2017, 10:54 AM
The problem is, using that logic we ought to legalize all illegal substances to take money from criminals. But there are some negatives to legalizing illegal substances.

Anyways, even if it becomes legal there will still be an illegal trade of marijuana, especially if taxes similar to that on tobacco are implemented on the sale of it.

Not if you re-educate the population before its legalised. Tell everyone what it does and safe ways of getting it. I don't know of there's any crimes committed because of it though.

mattsmith48
April 23rd, 2017, 10:29 AM

You do realize that you use the same argument against gun control? Right?

Dmaxd123
April 24th, 2017, 12:25 PM
I don't really get why it's illegal if alcohol isn't anyway

i think the biggest thing is an easy and reliable test to determine if someone is impaired while driving

once they have that i'm all for the legalization which will be just like alcohol having taxes and government oversight

mattsmith48
April 24th, 2017, 05:38 PM
i think the biggest thing is an easy and reliable test to determine if someone is impaired while driving

once they have that i'm all for the legalization which will be just like alcohol having taxes and government oversight

What does this has to do with what skyblue1 said? She ask why its illegal

I agree the biggest issue with legalization is impair drivers, I don't know how effective the saliva test we currently are, but there is people working on better way to detect it.

Dmaxd123
April 24th, 2017, 06:13 PM
she asked why pot was still illegal:

i think the reason it's illegal is because we don't know how to quickly determine if someone is impaired or not

mattsmith48
April 24th, 2017, 07:06 PM
she asked why pot was still illegal:

i think the reason it's illegal is because we don't know how to quickly determine if someone is impaired or not

I think its more a combination of things like corruption and misinformation due to fearmongering and propoganda from anti-drugs activist.

Uniquemind
April 26th, 2017, 08:55 PM
What does this has to do with what skyblue1 said? She ask why its illegal

I agree the biggest issue with legalization is impair drivers, I don't know how effective the saliva test we currently are, but there is people working on better way to detect it.

Well it's not just detecting it, it's also law enforcement having the tools to argue in court to say driver was still on the "high" at the time of driving.

But driving under the influence of many legal prescription drugs, some
Chemically are opiates, is a problem as well and those are legal.

So the original OP's question remains.

Part of it is that decades ago the tobacco industry and marijuana industry were at odds with each other, had both been legal they would be competing industries, so tobacco lobbyists told congress to classify marijuana under an illegal category, so as to crush the threat of competition. Crony capitalism at it's finest.

However I don't think it's immoral to legalize it either provided that it is taxed moderately and has quality control and quantity regulations.

I don't think those arguing the general logical analogy that if illegal substance 1, becomes legal, that it means other illegal substances now have foundation to be legal too. This is simply because the properties of each substance ARE molecularly different and the logic and consequences for what they do are going to be different.