PDA

View Full Version : How do I rid of my accent?

Rhys2001
April 13th, 2017, 03:31 PM
So basically when I speak french to french people they can hear my English accent and half the time they respond in English. The issue is that non-french francophones think that I sound french, so my accent is close but it isn't quite there. What should I do to give my accent that final push?

SethfromMI
April 13th, 2017, 06:13 PM
So basically when I speak french to french people they can hear my English accent and half the time they respond in English. The issue is that non-french francophones think that I sound french, so my accent is close but it isn't quite there. What should I do to give my accent that final push?

the more you can immerse yourself in that culture/people who speak with that accent the easier it can be. I know here in America where different regions can have different accents people will sometimes eventually notice a change in their accent

messid
April 14th, 2017, 09:30 PM
listen to a LOT of the language all the time...it really helps! my cousin is learning spanish and because he listens to it all the time (tv, music, radio) people tell him his accent is really good

Just JT
April 14th, 2017, 11:17 PM
I think the more your in a culture you'll learn the little important stuff about the language

The more your outa it, the more you lose

If your trying, so are they. Just explain. They'll try to

Glitterboy
May 11th, 2017, 12:32 PM
Practice

lliam
May 11th, 2017, 02:21 PM
What should I do to give my accent that final push?

Just ask the people to talk to you in their language, cause you have no problem understanding them.

Also tell them to correct you if they don't understand what you are saying or what you try to express in French.

I always do it that way, e.g., when I visit French friends etc. Cause imo this is the only way to improve and expand my French skills. Most of the French will understand this.

btw: Even if you live in France for decades, it doesn't necessarily mean you lose your accent. I've met a lot of such people.

robertd2001
July 6th, 2017, 11:38 PM
you could have it professionally removed, but that's expensive

jms2000
July 7th, 2017, 06:53 PM
i still have slight English accent even thought that I've lived in Scotland all my life, so I wouldn't worry

logan2002
August 6th, 2017, 06:10 PM
Drama or speech teachers may be able to help you. I know actors who play parts that require them to have accents that they don't have when they play a different character

ava.anonymous
August 7th, 2017, 08:14 AM
Watch French YouTubers and get your French speaking friends to help correct your accent, I'm taking French as a GCSE and that's what I'm doing to improve my accent and I also watch a French cartoon series on YouTube called corneil et Bernie

Cangirl
August 7th, 2017, 10:18 AM
practice. But I like accents so unless it's really strong and its hard to communicate then keep a bit.