PDA

View Full Version : Melodic Bass/kicking Music

Anthem
April 11th, 2017, 06:56 AM
This is a rather specific term I'd rate certain electronic music. This is specific to electronic, and not anything to do with instruments (the music can have instruments, but it has to be electronic-y). It can be any electronic sub-genre (such as dubstep or DnB), not specific to electronic.

I am posting this thread to see if anyone else likes the type of melodic bass/kicking music I do. To define it, melodic bass is the type of sine waves that go along with the melody, rather than just be a solid sine wave across several parts of the song, or random bursts of bass. The bass has to go along with the melody. It can be overpowering, but the bass has to allow differentiation between the other parts of the song (such as background synthesizers, etc).

A bad example of bass is "The Hills" - The Weeknd (bad example), a good example of bass that is overpowering but at the same time allows for other parts to be heard, is "My Everything" - Owl City (the second break, specifically).

Melodic Bass:
"My Everything" - Owl City (second break in the song, specifically)
"White Noise" - Ella Vos & R3hab
"Hypnotic" - Zella Day (Vanic Remix)
"Alone" - Marshmello
"Ritual" - Marshmello & Wrabel
"Feel That Love Again" - Blackmill & Graham Brown (during the break, the bass is synced with the melody and kicking, a really REALLY good example of what I am trying to explain)

Melodic Kicking:
"Don't Let Me Down" - Blackmill & Cat Martin
"Oh Miah" - Blackmill
"My Everything" - Owl City (more specifically, the introduction and parts of the breaks)
"Feel That Love Again" - Blackmill & Graham Brown (A REALLY GOOD EXAMPLE OF MELODIC KICKING! EXACTLY WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR!)

Typically with melodic kicking, the kicking is synced with the melody but sometimes is done in quick succession, but not too fast or slow. Kicking too fast is not melodic, so imagine a melody that is medium to slow-paced, with kicking and bass. Typically melodies go as fast as you are able to tap your feet comfortably, without forcing yourself to go faster (in other words, being able to tap your feet without struggling to keep up with the beat, basically it should be as natural as breathing).

These songs in my eyes are considered to have melodic bass, or in other words, bass which is in someway synchronized with the melody (kicking, etc) (aka "melodically-synced"). The bass flows with what is happening in the song, and not just some random bursts (like, one part is the kicking then suddenly bass - those are horrible), or a constant sine wave across a singular part of a song.

The songs listed above are best heard when the headphones have a wide frequency response, or the system playing it does. The music is best heard between the 15hz-22khz range. If your headphones or speakers can't replicate that low, then most likely you are missing essential parts to the music.

Hopefully I explained this and hopefully the samples are good enough to get the gist.

Amethyst Rose
April 12th, 2017, 01:51 PM
I've never heard any of the examples you posted but I'll check some of them out! I like "The Hills" (and The Weeknd in general) :P