PDA

View Full Version : Chat room

Anthem
April 11th, 2017, 06:11 AM
Since Chrome has disabled Java applets in their browser, I'd suggest moving chat over to something more modern. Java applets are being phased out, even the <applet> tag which those rely on has been deprecated and many browsers no longer support it (and for good reason, too). Not only that, but most mobile devices don't support it.

I'd suggest moving to something else whenever possible, as it might effect how many people will use it.

Endeavour
April 11th, 2017, 07:32 AM
Not only that, but most mobile devices don't support it.

There is a mobile version of the chatroom available, that doesn't need java or anything.

PlasmaHam
April 12th, 2017, 01:04 PM
I would suggest moving away from a Java based program. Besides the technological disadvantages and security risks with it, so far Chrome and Edge have dropped Java support. And just last month Firefox issued an update to their system, dropping support for addons such as Java, meaning that any one who downloads a current version of Firefox will not be able to use Java without browser modifications. I believe Safari still supports it, but for Windows users that is not an option. When the Big Three of the browser business drop a feature required for your system, you probably need to re-evaluate your system.

azure moonstone
April 12th, 2017, 01:58 PM
I'm pretty sure that many chat alternatives have been explored (and even experimented and trialed) by the admins. The issues that no one ever thinks about is that the chatroom needs to suit the needs of VT, and that includes the ability to customize and fully moderate it. This specific chat was chosen because it meets those needs. I know connection and java issues are a pain in the ass, but the one we currently have really is the best they can do and still be fully moderated (with mod tools and full chat logs).

PlasmaHam
April 12th, 2017, 03:35 PM
I've seen forums with chats that allowed moderating and logs without add-on downloads. They are out there and I imagine more will be developed as add-ons like Flash and Java are faded out. I am not telling you to completely abolish the chat system, but the current chat system is excluding people due to factors outside of their control. That is like saying that it is perfectly fine to exclude VT from Mac's because the current system doesn't allow it, and just being okay with that, and telling Mac users that they are just being whiny children when they complain about it.

I am just suggesting that the admin keep the existing chatroom, but also to continue looking into alternatives to replace it .

EDIT: Here is the official update release from Mozilla that removes Java functionality (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/52.0/releasenotes/), in case you were not trusting of my claims.

veroda
April 16th, 2017, 01:55 PM
well I tried both on a windows 7 pc a windows 10 pc and a school issued tablet and never managed to get in the chatroom...

I hope it helps...

xXl0sth0peXx
April 18th, 2017, 10:28 AM
What Emerald Dream said is correct. To find a chat room with the security preferences we require, and that gives logs and customized to our needs, is not easy. We'be spent money on testing others and really looked into it, but we ultimately just couldn't find anything, especially anything that could integrate to the site, which we really do need. Especially with the nature of some parts of the site, we can't trust any 3rd party sites or anything, which is why we require the full integration. We know that Java isn't widely supported anymore, which is why we purchased the mobile edition, and in my announcement, listed how to go about downgrading your java to a supported version so that chat will work. And I've used it on both a mac and a windows and it works on both.

We are always looking into how to upgrade the chat better, but ultimately, we went back to this because it wasn't 6+ months of no chat due to us looking and ultimately decided to go back to this, at least temporarily. As we find better options, we will absolutely be looking at switching, but it just isn't possible right now as much as we'd like. Also, remember that these cost $200+ and neither myself or mike is made of money, so these extra things are gifts, not givens, and we're trying our best with what we can do.

PlasmaHam
April 18th, 2017, 02:00 PM
I am well aware of the financial and technical problems. However, neither you or Emerald Dream has yet acknowledged the problem I keep bringing up. Your announcement on the chat are based upon the basis that Firefox supports Java. But Firefox no longer supports Java via a recent update, so for anyone who downloaded Firefox since March, your announcement is useless

I am just saying that you need to update your chat room instructions to exclude Firefox, as just like Chrome it no longer supports Java. And make an update acknowledging a mobile version, because prior to this thread I had no idea one existed.

Seven Wonders
June 11th, 2017, 09:52 PM
I do not know anything goes wrong with the chat room? I tried a lot..it never opens

whoapuberty
June 19th, 2017, 08:43 PM
There is a mobile version of the chatroom available, that doesn't need java or anything.

How does one access this mobile version?

Endeavour
June 20th, 2017, 12:05 AM
How does one access this mobile version?

When you click the chat room link in the top bar, if you're on a a mobile device you should be taken to a screen like this:
https://s2.postimg.org/5hzs66vh5/2017-06-20_06.02.33.png

If you then click that link it should work for you.

Just JT
June 20th, 2017, 08:39 AM
When you click the chat room link in the top bar, if you're on a a mobile device you should be taken to a screen like this:
image (https://s2.postimg.org/5hzs66vh5/2017-06-20_06.02.33.png)

If you then click that link it should work for you.

I thought chat was down. And when I click "click to start chat room" a new page opens saying "error loading account settings"

Am I missing something?
It's been like that while now from what I remember. That's why I figured it was down cause nobody's ever on it

Endeavour
June 20th, 2017, 09:17 AM
I thought chat was down. And when I click "click to start chat room" a new page opens saying "error loading account settings"

Am I missing something?
It's been like that while now from what I remember. That's why I figured it was down cause nobody's ever on it

Oh, I didn't realise that.

Just JT
June 20th, 2017, 11:53 AM

It could be me, idk, or the device or something.

whoapuberty
June 20th, 2017, 12:17 PM

That is exactly the error I get as well. So is there currently no functioning chat room?

PlasmaHam
June 20th, 2017, 01:49 PM
It could be me, idk, or the device or something.

No, I get that error message too.

I'm accessing the site through Firefox on Android if that helps anything.

Though on a different point, are the staff still working on that new chat idea they polled us about earlier? I'm just curious, since we haven't heard anything in a month.

Elysium
June 20th, 2017, 02:07 PM
Honestly, I didn't realize our chatroom wasn't currently functioning either. I don't know, I'll look into it and get back to you by the end of the week.

Just JT
June 20th, 2017, 07:59 PM
No, I get that error message too.

I'm accessing the site through Firefox on Android if that helps anything.

Though on a different point, are the staff still working on that new chat idea they polled us about earlier? I'm just curious, since we haven't heard anything in a month.

Honestly, I didn't realize our chatroom wasn't currently functioning either. I don't know, I'll look into it and get back to you by the end of the week.

I'm in safari, apple devices, cool, I thought it was like a common knowledge and was being worked on myself.
Feel bad I didn't say anything before
Updates are always a good thing.

lliam
June 22nd, 2017, 04:46 PM
I always get this message

lliam
Service temporarily unavailable. Please try again in a few minutes.

Elysium
June 22nd, 2017, 07:12 PM
Yeah, we found the issue. Should be back up and running by tomorrow.

PlasmaHam
June 22nd, 2017, 08:35 PM
Great!

I don't think I've been able to use the chat for months, so hopefully once this gets working I can actually use it.

Elysium
June 22nd, 2017, 08:44 PM
Great!

I don't think I've been able to use the chat for months, so hopefully once this gets working I can actually use it.
Ah, this isn't a new chatroom - not yet. Just a fix for our current one.

I could guess, but out of curiosity, why haven't you been able to use it?

PlasmaHam
June 22nd, 2017, 08:54 PM
Ah, this isn't a new chatroom - not yet. Just a fix for our current one.Oh yes, I am aware this isn't the new chatroom, but since I am incapable of accessing the chat room over PC, it is my only option.

I could guess, but out of curiosity, why haven't you been able to use it?First of all, the browsers I use on my PC don't support Java, so there's that. And the mobile chatroom has been giving me problems for months, though until recently I didn't realize others were getting problems too.

Chat has never been a huge deal for me, so its absence was never a bit deal on my part anyway.

Elysium
June 22nd, 2017, 08:59 PM
Oh yes, I am aware this isn't the new chatroom, but since I am incapable of accessing the chat room over PC, it is my only option.

First of all the browsers I use on my PC don't support Java, so there's that. And the mobile chatroom has been giving me problems for months, though until recently I didn't realize others were getting problems too.

Chat has never been a huge deal for me though, if I really wanted too I could find a way in.
Okay, that's pretty much what I figured. Good to know, thank you.

xXl0sth0peXx
June 24th, 2017, 11:52 AM
Everything should be back up. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PlasmaHam
June 24th, 2017, 08:36 PM
Works fine for me.

Though I am still wondering if we could have an update concerning the new chat system we were polled on earlier?

xXl0sth0peXx
June 24th, 2017, 11:12 PM
Works fine for me.

Though I am still wondering if we could have an update concerning the new chat system we were polled on earlier?

Unfortunately, I've been really sick lately and I had to take a week away for my mental health, so I haven't had a chance to play around with it. I'm optimistic that if things go my way, we can roll it out this summer, but that's not completely up to me, a number of other things need to cooperate as well. It is still being worked on though, and it's on the top of our to do list and yeah. I'm sorry I don't have much else for you right now, it's a kind of complicated process that I'm trying to teach myself as I go. If you have more questions, I can try and answer them, but until I can get it confirmed that the chat system that I've been working with will for sure work, I don't want to give out to many details about it.

Just JT
June 25th, 2017, 12:38 AM
Unfortunately, I've been really sick lately and I had to take a week away for my mental health, so I haven't had a chance to play around with it. I'm optimistic that if things go my way, we can roll it out this summer, but that's not completely up to me, a number of other things need to cooperate as well. It is still being worked on though, and it's on the top of our to do list and yeah. I'm sorry I don't have much else for you right now, it's a kind of complicated process that I'm trying to teach myself as I go. If you have more questions, I can try and answer them, but until I can get it confirmed that the chat system that I've been working with will for sure work, I don't want to give out to many details about it.

Hope your feeling better soon Val

lliam
June 25th, 2017, 02:33 PM
Yeah, we found the issue. Should be back up and running by tomorrow.

works ... even there's just The Fonz and me imaginary chatting. :D

good job anyway.

adtse
November 15th, 2017, 06:37 PM
Maybe allow the mobile version to be used on desktop? Sure, I could use a mobile browser emulator. But that is just a pain in the back. As many modern browsers disable java applets due to security issues, I think a system that uses only basic browser compatibility would allow more people to be able to use the chat room.

Elysium
November 15th, 2017, 10:10 PM
Maybe allow the mobile version to be used on desktop? Sure, I could use a mobile browser emulator. But that is just a pain in the back. As many modern browsers disable java applets due to security issues, I think a system that uses only basic browser compatibility would allow more people to be able to use the chat room.
Please don't post in threads that have been inactive for two months or more. :locked: