PDA

View Full Version : What server do you use and what for?

Anthem
April 11th, 2017, 06:07 AM
I have recently started a Amazon Web Services instance with Windows Server 2016 to specifically virtualize Windows applications with Docker.

I have discovered that virtualizing is hard inside a VM. Docker attempted to make a pseudo-VM by working with Microsoft. The bad thing is, it is nothing like virtualizing and was specifically made to virtualize a Windows server instance.

It currently works for my current application, but I plan on eventually moving back to Linux as using Docker on a Windows VM is nothing like using Docker on a real machine (real VM).

If you guys have any servers, what do you use as your host operating system and what do you use it for?

Andre1998
April 11th, 2017, 07:28 AM
I have an HP Proliant Server running on Windows 10 with IIS and DHCP services.

Why not WinServer?: The Proliant is also my Main PC and WServer 2016 doesn´t suport the installation of Windows applications like Movies&tv and photos.

jdhud024
May 23rd, 2017, 11:21 PM
I have two random older HP desktops I've built out to be servers. One serves as a Time Machine for my MacBook Pro and Hackintosh has about 500GB of storage, the other serves as a general network server to make file sharing between Windows and Mac easier, and to store all my random OS images I've downloaded in one easy-to-access place. Both run FreeNAS 9.1.2.9 because they're only 32 bit Pentium 4 machines. They serve their job admirably though.

Jamiec1130
May 28th, 2017, 05:51 AM
I have two servers: a Dell OptiPlex 755 and an HP Compaq DC 7900 SFF. Both have Core 2 Duo E8400s, and the HP has 4GB of RAM whereas the Dell has 8GB. The HP is a dedicated [email protected] machine (I know, not too power efficient for that) and an internet accessible remote desktop (RDP) host. The Dell does these same things, but is used locally more than remotely. I use the Dell for AutoCAD, virtualization, and music production.