PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Rant on 13 Reasons Why

xRavenx
April 9th, 2017, 05:45 AM
Okay so I get Hannah was depressed and all, I do. But I don't understand why she was so...I don't understand why she had such a sharp tongue. If she wanted people to stop hating her so much then why was she so harsh. She talks briefly about how she wanted to believe there were nice guys in the world but when Zach tried to be nice, she was completely unforgiving. She just came off like she was two different people at times. And I honestly hate how hypocritical she was at times. Like it's not okay for these people to do what they did to you, I agree. But it's completely acceptable to talk to them like that? To curse at people and tell them to fuck off? If she wanted people to like her then maybe it wouldn't have hurt to be a bit more...likable. And if she didn't want to change who she was for others, then why did their opinions of her matter to her in the first place. It doesn't make sense to me how someone can demand to be accepted and still be so sensitive to hate. Like when Ryan published her poem and people made fun of it. I understand that it's painful when something you poured your heart into is made fun of, especially when it's being laughed at by cruel kids. I just can't fathom how she didn't defend herself. I can't fathom how she came off as so mentally weak. It's like she was sensitive and harsh at the same time, managing to be shy and scared and headstrong simultaneously and not being able to handle cruelty. Maybe she was just too soft for the world, but it bothers me.
~Rant Over~

Sailor Mars
April 9th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Introductions :arrow: Television/Cinema

This is better suited here

owl__city
April 9th, 2017, 09:30 AM
Well I have binged 13 Reasons Why since yesterday and I partially agree with you. I think one of the best things about the show is the fact the Hannah has so many sides as we all do. She has a sharp tongue but it's just not enough, not in her world. She is an outsider and being ridiculed by her entire grade. She felt alone and the moment she was trying to be strong were only to cover the fact that she was weak from the inside. She didn't have to proper "tools" to deal with everything she was going through. Imagine being laughed everyday for almost 2 years. It scars you psychologically and it something some kids can't open up about which leads them to take their own life. The thing that "broke" her was being raped of course and not having her voice heard simply because she couldn't. She didn't have mental strength to deal with one tragic after another and that's why she chose the "easy" way out.

Melodic
April 13th, 2017, 08:07 PM
Honestly, I can completely understand her reasons why she acted the way she did. She didn't really have a sharp tongue in my opinion, I felt she just was defending herself. Which if you noticed, she started to do less of as her confidence/attitude lessened through the later episodes. Zach's "friends" treated her like shit. I don't think he deserved it, but I can see why she lashed out at him. She had trust issues around men and given her circumstances it'd be hard not to.

Let's also keep in mind, she was a teenager. OF COURSE she was going to make wrong decisions. Not one character on that show made a right decision.

The poem was personal to her. It's basically like someone ripping out a piece of your journal and sharing it on the school newspaper.

LRSSS02
April 17th, 2017, 06:56 PM
i met the author of the book and he is a super chill guy, it is kinda weird how depressing his book is