PDA

View Full Version : Ghost in the Shell

Rendez-Vous
April 6th, 2017, 09:58 AM
So, a few days ago I went to the cinema to watch GitS. I haven't watched the original anime(only first 30 minutes) and I need to say that I've enjoyed this film. I think people shouldn't compare Hollywood version with original. What's your opinion about Ghost in the Shell, guys?

sketchyheart
April 6th, 2017, 10:48 PM
There's a reason Ghost In the Shell wasn't so successful, at least in my part of the world.
1. They used a white actor for an asian role (Scarlett Johanson is awesome at acting in my opinion but I personally thought they should have at least put someone from Japan for the role)
2. I never watched the anime but I know what it is, but I think another main reason was the outfit. It was the same color as her skin, which made her appear nude and I guess a lot of people didn't feel comfortable with that?
3. Besides what was wrong with the actual movie, it never really got much hype out here in America. They probably should have released it at a different time than other movies that were super-hyped - like Beauty and the Beast (LIVED!) and Boss Baby (which I have yet to watch). So their timing in releasing the movie was pretty bad.

Those are just a few reasons I can think of off the top of my head.

Rendez-Vous
April 7th, 2017, 05:21 AM
They used a white actor for an asian role (Scarlett Johanson is awesome at acting in my opinion but I personally thought they should have at least put someone from Japan for the role)

eventually, Japanese fans are okay with that
Interestingly, the casting of an Asian-looking actress may have avoided the "whitewashing" accusations and likely placated some fans in Europe and America but provoked a worse reaction in Japan.

It was the same color as her skin, which made her appear nude and I guess a lot of people didn't feel comfortable with that?

https://mindreels.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/ghost_in_the_shell_ukquad.jpg

sketchyheart
April 7th, 2017, 12:00 PM
eventually, Japanese fans are okay with that

image (https://mindreels.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/ghost_in_the_shell_ukquad.jpg)

I meant people who generally don't watch anime and aren't used to that.

Also, one of the movie creators stated that if they hadn't whitewashed it, Ghost In the Shell probably would have made a LOT more money. The fact that they just hired someone who can "look" Asian probably pissed off the Asians twenty times more xD.