PDA

View Full Version : Massive protests in Serbia regarding the presidential elections

Stronk Serb
April 6th, 2017, 04:33 AM
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/f4acacefa13a4f7383fa8a6d91a286af/serbians-protest-outcome-presidential-race-third-day

BELGRADE, Serbia (AP) — Several thousand people rallied in Serbia's capital for the third day in row on Wednesday to protest the victory of the country's powerful leader, Aleksandar Vucic, in last weekend's presidential election.

Blowing whistles and chanting slogans against Vucic, crowds marched through Belgrade and other cities. They held banners with slogans such as "Down with dictatorship" and "Stop the government terror."

The protesters, most of them young, have gathered on the streets in response to calls on social media. It was not clear who is organizing the events, although government officials claim the demonstrations are the work of political opponents.

Student organizations in Belgrade and the northern city of Novi Sad say they are demanding replacement of the state election commission, the editors of the state television, and the parliament speaker.

I was at the protest. It might not change anything, but I raised my voice against this charade. The vibe was cheerful, we came to put out our frustrations without any violence.

EDIT:

Found another article with a bit more details

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/04/protests-vucic-election-win-day-170406040556477.html

Porpoise101
April 6th, 2017, 10:55 AM
So how did you know about the protest yourself? Just curious.

Stronk Serb
April 6th, 2017, 12:46 PM
So how did you know about the protest yourself? Just curious.

Facebook. It is almost not mentioned in the news. Even when it is, it is on the lower margin, As if it is unimportant. First time I flew the Serbian banner all by myself and I felt that I wasn't alone. It was painful to wave it for for hours straight, but unlike other protests beore where display of national symbols was frowned upon, here it was encouraged. We are all citizens of this country, not leftists, liberals, conservatives, gays, straights, theists, atheists etc. We are all Serbs and we do it for eachother's sake, not for some ideology.

Kyle37
April 6th, 2017, 01:23 PM
The whole point of protests is not to actually protest anything, its just a reason for people to go out and be mad at usually nothing (with no outcome at the end). The only reason some protests are seen as pivotal sometimes is when theres special interests from an outside power who uses the protests in their own propaganda machine. Your existence at the parade was worthless... but at least you got some fresh air.

Stronk Serb
April 6th, 2017, 06:41 PM
The whole point of protests is not to actually protest anything, its just a reason for people to go out and be mad at usually nothing (with no outcome at the end). The only reason some protests are seen as pivotal sometimes is when theres special interests from an outside power who uses the protests in their own propaganda machine. Your existence at the parade was worthless... but at least you got some fresh air.

Government is pretty flimsy here. Get enough angry people on the streets, smash some government property burn something and they will step down.

Porpoise101
April 6th, 2017, 11:01 PM
with no outcome at the end There have been numerous times protests have mattered in history. The Russian Revolution began as a protest for example. Protests may have leaders organizing them and pulling the strings, but they still do things and often result in a change in policy (although it may not be the intended change). Find me a case in history when a mass movement of people went totally ignored. I'll wait.

Stronk Serb
April 7th, 2017, 02:58 AM
There have been numerous times protests have mattered in history. The Russian Revolution began as a protest for example. Protests may have leaders organizing them and pulling the strings, but they still do things and often result in a change in policy (although it may not be the intended change). Find me a case in history when a mass movement of people went totally ignored. I'll wait.

We took down Milošević with extremely harsher censorship, crackdowns by police and police violence, we can take this bastard down too. If it goes down the path of violence, I guess I will soon be carrying a steel flagpole instead of the wooden one.

Vule_Grocka
April 7th, 2017, 09:04 AM
Suprisingly that there's someone from Serbia that's a member here except me xD
I'm only just going to primary school at the moment and it would hate me to protest even if i'm a student of university, so..it wasn't worth doing it anyway...

Post edited. ~Amethyst Rose

Kyle37
April 7th, 2017, 05:09 PM
There have been numerous times protests have mattered in history. The Russian Revolution began as a protest for example. Protests may have leaders organizing them and pulling the strings, but they still do things and often result in a change in policy (although it may not be the intended change). Find me a case in history when a mass movement of people went totally ignored. I'll wait.

Pretty much every protest in the USA goes ignored. Just look at all the people who protest against the killing of blacks by police, and what has changed? Thousands of people marching, chanting, very enraged... and nothing. Russian revolution was not a protest, it was a political vacuum created by ww1 and the unfit leadership of the tsar at the time. Find me a case where a couple days protest actually made a big impact (not just short term).

We took down Milošević with extremely harsher censorship, crackdowns by police and police violence, we can take this bastard down too. If it goes down the path of violence, I guess I will soon be carrying a steel flagpole instead of the wooden one.

You took down Milosevic? Give me a fucking break. The international community used him for what he was worth, and then spit him out like the piece of shit he was.

Stronk Serb
April 9th, 2017, 03:05 AM
Pretty much every protest in the USA goes ignored. Just look at all the people who protest against the killing of blacks by police, and what has changed? Thousands of people marching, chanting, very enraged... and nothing. Russian revolution was not a protest, it was a political vacuum created by ww1 and the unfit leadership of the tsar at the time. Find me a case where a couple days protest actually made a big impact (not just short term).

You took down Milosevic? Give me a fucking break. The international community used him for what he was worth, and then spit him out like the piece of shit he was.

The only mistake we made was follow foreign mercanaries against him. Now they are selling Serbia on a silver plate. They also bought Vucic off too.

Porpoise101
April 24th, 2017, 08:45 PM
Pretty much every protest in the USA goes ignored. Just look at all the people who protest against the killing of blacks by police, and what has changed? On the national level, not much policy-wise. But, it has increased the consciousness of this issue a lot. This report (http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2017/01/11/behind-the-badge/) by the Pew Research Center gives a good idea of how these protests have been ingrained in the public discourse. If you actually go lower to the municipal levels of government, many local police departments are making changes, such as those in Houston and New York even. Many departments now use body cameras and there is increasing scrutiny on the structure of police departments themselves. Arguably, the increased focus on race in America recently can be traced to the beginnings of the BLM movement after the death of Trayvon Martin.
Russian revolution was not a protest, it was a political vacuum created by ww1 and the unfit leadership of the tsar at the time. Find me a case where a couple days protest actually made a big impact (not just short term). The February Revolution began as a women's march. This revolution brought in the democratically-elected Provisional government. After a long chain of events, this lead to the beginnings of the USSR in the October Revolution a few months later. But it all started with a protest.

Even if it was the Tsar's fault (and it partially was), do you honestly think that the man would disband his own government? No, of course not. Instead, people had to rise up and tear it down themselves by protesting, then revolting.