PDA

View Full Version : Why do people bully others?

Brightwolf
April 3rd, 2017, 11:18 AM
As someone who was bullied for...most of my life, I've always wondered why people would want to hurt others nearly constantly. Any ideas?

Just JT
April 3rd, 2017, 11:45 AM
Not proud of my past, I'm a different person now.

For me, the kids I bullied were the ones I was jealous of. Maybe they had nicer clothes, or an intact family, or able to do other activities I wasn't able/allowed to do. It's about anger and releasing it for me in the end. But once I got a good hold on that, bullying people stopped. Then I got to know kids I woulda bullied at one time. And many have become some great friends.

Why someone else bullies, idk, could be they are threaten by you, jealous, or treated that way at home. Leaving them feeling they have no control over stuff. But when they bully, they have the control and power.

So I know it's hard, but just don't show them your fear, don't let them make you do shit they want you to do. If they say shit just ignore it. That's the worst thing for them. They'll feel they are not getting what they want from you and eventually move on, usually.

I'm sorry if this is happening to you

Brightwolf
April 3rd, 2017, 11:55 AM
Not proud of my past, I'm a different person now.

For me, the kids I bullied were the ones I was jealous of. Maybe they had nicer clothes, or an intact family, or able to do other activities I wasn't able/allowed to do. It's about anger and releasing it for me in the end. But once I got a good hold on that, bullying people stopped. Then I got to know kids I woulda bullied at one time. And many have become some great friends.

Why someone else bullies, idk, could be they are threaten by you, jealous, or treated that way at home. Leaving them feeling they have no control over stuff. But when they bully, they have the control and power.

So I know it's hard, but just don't show them your fear, don't let them make you do shit they want you to do. If they say shit just ignore it. That's the worst thing for them. They'll feel they are not getting what they want from you and eventually move on, usually.

I'm sorry if this is happening to you

Thanks for sharing, it was very informative. I'm not sure why people would bully me, I don't know why someone would be threatened by me. I'm not exactly threatening...actually..I could be I guess, if I wanted. I kinda think it's in part because I'm a small person in pretty much every way...but idk why someone would pick on me just because I'm "small". That's the only thing I can think of.

midnightgirl518
April 3rd, 2017, 01:09 PM
Kids bully others because either their jealous of them or to make them selves look cool or make them selves feel better about themselves cause they have a rough life and wanna take it out on others so they don't have to feel all the pain themselves so instead they take their pain and make it others pain instead of theirs and they have something to feel better about themselves. So just remember that if someone is bullying you that they only do cause their jealous or just wanna make themselves feel better so just try to ignore them and not let what they say or do bother you. Just be the bigger person then them. I know what bullying is like and I learned there is always some reason behind them for doing it and next time they are upset and none of their so called friends are there for them be there for them and show them that you aren't someone they should bully trust me it works cause the person that bullied me is now one of my best friends,

Brightwolf
April 3rd, 2017, 01:23 PM
Kids bully others because either their jealous of them or to make them selves look cool or make them selves feel better about themselves cause they have a rough life and wanna take it out on others so they don't have to feel all the pain themselves so instead they take their pain and make it others pain instead of theirs and they have something to feel better about themselves. So just remember that if someone is bullying you that they only do cause their jealous or just wanna make themselves feel better so just try to ignore them and not let what they say or do bother you. Just be the bigger person then them. I know what bullying is like and I learned there is always some reason behind them for doing it and next time they are upset and none of their so called friends are there for them be there for them and show them that you aren't someone they should bully trust me it works cause the person that bullied me is now one of my best friends,

That's ironic, my "best friend" is one of the ones that started bullying me. But I try to ignore them, even though it can be difficult.

midnightgirl518
April 3rd, 2017, 01:36 PM
Its crazy sometimes the people that you have the most problems with seem to be the ones you can trust the most. Just try your best to always ignore them its not worth your time to listen to them so they can make you feel like crap.

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no ones definition of your life; DEFINE YOURSELF." ~ Harvey Fierstein

Just JT
April 3rd, 2017, 01:42 PM
Thanks for sharing, it was very informative. I'm not sure why people would bully me, I don't know why someone would be threatened by me. I'm not exactly threatening...actually..I could be I guess, if I wanted. I kinda think it's in part because I'm a small person in pretty much every way...but idk why someone would pick on me just because I'm "small". That's the only thing I can think of.

Not threatening in a violent way. Maybe you excel at something that makes them feel or perceive themselves as inferior to you, they can't stand that feeling. Someone in one of your classes at school or something?

Brightwolf
April 3rd, 2017, 01:47 PM
Not threatening in a violent way. Maybe you excel at something that makes them feel or perceive themselves as inferior to you, they can't stand that feeling. Someone in one of your classes at school or something?

Probably music then. I'm very good at picking out melodies and such. That'd make sense cause the main person that bullies me isn't good at music.

Just JT
April 3rd, 2017, 01:53 PM
Probably music then. I'm very good at picking out melodies and such. That'd make sense cause the main person that bullies me isn't good at music.

There's your reason right there. Now if you were up for a challenge, and had a chance to help him, you could change all that

It that might be kinda hard to come to terms with to

He's probably jealous of your gift and talent he is lacking in. He's insecure with who he is. I feel bad for him tbh

Brightwolf
April 3rd, 2017, 02:31 PM
There's your reason right there. Now if you were up for a challenge, and had a chance to help him, you could change all that

It that might be kinda hard to come to terms with to

He's probably jealous of your gift and talent he is lacking in. He's insecure with who he is. I feel bad for him tbh

Thanks for the advice JT. I want to help him but I'm not exactly sure how. He's the type that'd call me a certain word that started with "f" for trying to be friendly to him.

Just JT
April 3rd, 2017, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the advice JT. I want to help him but I'm not exactly sure how. He's the type that'd call me a certain word that started with "f" for trying to be friendly to him.

Yeah well don't bother then. It's only a thought to try and break that chain of hate.
It sucks I know, you seem like a super chip guy to, someone people would like to know more, so his loss, forget about it and just keep in mind he's the one with the problem, not you....

Brightwolf
April 3rd, 2017, 02:59 PM
Yeah well don't bother then. It's only a thought to try and break that chain of hate.
It sucks I know, you seem like a super chip guy to, someone people would like to know more, so his loss, forget about it and just keep in mind he's the one with the problem, not you....

Oh, um, thanks. I'm not used to people telling me that they'd like to get to know me better or stuff like that. Thanks JT

Just JT
April 3rd, 2017, 03:04 PM
Oh, um, thanks. I'm not used to people telling me that they'd like to get to know me better or stuff like that. Thanks JT

Well, I've been scarce around here lately. And the more I see you and stuff you say and post yeah, your a good person man. :)

Phosphene
April 3rd, 2017, 09:28 PM
To make themselves look on top of their game - they want to seem like they're in control when they're probably trying to turn attention away from their own insecurity. Jealousy is another big reason. Bullying is a petty attempt to push your problems aside rather than confronting them.

rioo
April 4th, 2017, 07:58 AM
bullying always or mostly comes from someone who is close with the victim. some people think its normal jokes or to bonding each other but it will hurt someone feeling.

sketchyheart
April 4th, 2017, 10:43 AM
Unlike what other people said, I don't think you should just ignore it. Stand up for yourself! You deserve to be treated like a HUMAN and you let them know that! If they aren't willing to accept that and change for the better then it's their loss.

Brightwolf
April 4th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Unlike what other people said, I don't think you should just ignore it. Stand up for yourself! You deserve to be treated like a HUMAN and you let them know that! If they aren't willing to accept that and change for the better then it's their loss.

My problem is that I'm an introverted person. I'm not good at standing up for myself.

Harrier
April 4th, 2017, 08:02 PM
Experts say it's bc they were bullied. Or they are insecure. Idk I think it could be simpler than that. We live in a competitive culture. By bullying others it puts them down and you on top. I actually get that even tho I know it's wrong. I get the competition aspect of life. But I also get the loving and teamwork aspect of life. Abd bullying is obviously against that. It's complex I guess

sketchyheart
April 4th, 2017, 08:22 PM
My problem is that I'm an introverted person. I'm not good at standing up for myself.

Yeah, it's definitely easier said than done. But it is worth trying? Better than letting them step all over you, right?

JakeyZ
April 12th, 2017, 05:36 AM
Power trip
Insecurities
Problems with their own life

Or how about option D -- all of the above

ska8er
April 14th, 2017, 06:37 AM
Bullies r insecure. They want to
bring their misery on someone else.

Just JT
April 14th, 2017, 06:47 AM

I don't think anyone was suggesting to ignore and not defend yourself. At least I wasn't.

What I was saying was to ignore verbal altercations, just walk away. There just words and if the victim just lets the words roll off, the bully hates that. And once they know there will be no response, they'll either stop (best outcome) or escalate (less than best). When it comes to a physical altercations drop your back pack and have at it.

I don't condone fighting. Fighting sucks and is the worst possible outcome. Everyone looses. But even if smaller, what ever, what a bully hates more than anything is someone who fights back. It's to much work. More work than trying to get a rise out of the victim verbally.

Bullying and being physically abused are different things. Bullying sucks, getting the shit kicked outa you sucks even more. Yeah you gotta stand up for yourself and defend yourself. But atbthe right time, and not before. Or the victim will be viewed as the aggressor

Falcons_11
April 15th, 2017, 04:02 PM
Bullies r insecure. They want to
bring their misery on someone else.

I've been around a few bullies in my life too. I found that they are insecure and usually have low esteem. In order for them to feel good about themselves they take out their fears and frustrations on those who they think are too weak and won't fight back. Unfortunately a lot of school tolerate them and don't do anything to stop bullies.

euan35
April 21st, 2017, 10:13 PM
I've always been bullied, and I don't think I've bullied anybody before. I think people bully others because they are scared or intimidated, mainly because the other person is different to them.

With my situation, I got bullied because of how flamboyant I act. To other people, they can be rather intimidated of my flamboyance, and get scared of how loud my personality is. I think there is still stigma on people thinking that being gay (or lesbian or etc) is contagious.

Bullies lack empathy, and are selfish people who only think and act for themselves. If you have been bullied, please talk about it to your closest friends or to family because having a strong support group is so important.

I hope this helped :)

RideOrDie
April 21st, 2017, 10:29 PM
I think the person who bullies someone thinks they'll somehow become popular. It sucks! I hate bullying, I really despise it. Like you never know the true effects of bullying. People have committed suicide because of bullying. People don't realize how much it effects someone

Brightwolf
April 22nd, 2017, 10:48 AM
I think the person who bullies someone thinks they'll somehow become popular. It sucks! I hate bullying, I really despise it. Like you never know the true effects of bullying. People have committed suicide because of bullying. People don't realize how much it effects someone

Yeah, it sucks when the person who's bullying the person is their "friend".

Alan T
April 22nd, 2017, 11:47 AM
I haven't read through the posts, but my first bet is personal insecurity. If a boy is a bully, look at how relates to his dad. It's often revealing.

ClarkKent
April 24th, 2017, 02:26 PM
It's all about superiority, most of the time.

Chaosphere
April 25th, 2017, 12:33 AM
As someone who was bullied for...most of my life, I've always wondered why people would want to hurt others nearly constantly. Any ideas?
Usually, it's insecurity. If they feel threatened by someone, their first thought is to go on the offensive. On the same line of thinking, it can be because they don't think much of themselves (consciously or unconsciously), and like to prop up their egos by tearing others' down. Of course, not everybody is born good and they're just wired to be pricks. Mostly though, it's because of something going on with them, not you.
Yeah, it sucks when the person who's bullying the person is their "friend".
I've definitely encountered that and am dealing with it right now. Usually, it's best to just sever connections with those kinds of people if possible. Even if you're in a similar situation to mine, and your choice of friends isn't exactly a cornucopia, lol.

Stallion01
May 6th, 2017, 09:58 PM
I was always bullied. Its something you never really get over fully!