PDA

View Full Version : Writing a Story and Looking for Suggestions

AussieNicholas
March 31st, 2017, 09:48 PM
I've written a lot of stuff over the past two years and one of my weaknesses is that I try to write about stuff that I don't really have much experience in. Since I'm still in high school, I decided to write a story that focuses on teenage issues. Each chapter will have it's own subplot revolving around a particular issue along with the main story lines. I've gotten a lot of ideas already but I want to see what people here think I should add and how I should handle it. I want as many people to be able to empathize with the characters so I want to tackle as many issue as possible. What does everyone think?

Amethyst Rose
March 31st, 2017, 10:00 PM
Writing about things you have experience on is a good idea; it will have a stronger impact on the reader and mean more to you. It's easy to feign sincerity hiding behind a screen/pen and paper, and some people would never know you know little to nothing about the topic of your writing. But you can't fool everyone. If you want to write about something you don't know much about, you can always research it, read books with similar plots etc. Could you post some of what you've written so far?

AussieNicholas
March 31st, 2017, 11:06 PM
Writing about things you have experience on is a good idea; it will have a stronger impact on the reader and mean more to you. It's easy to feign sincerity hiding behind a screen/pen and paper, and some people would never know you know little to nothing about the topic of your writing. But you can't fool everyone. If you want to write about something you don't know much about, you can always research it, read books with similar plots etc. Could you post some of what you've written so far?

So far I haven't written any of the actual story because I want to nail down the basic plot first. The problem with a lot of my stories is that I don't plan them before I start writing, so things become muddled quickly. I've had a lot of issues with stress and worrying about what I'll do after school (I'm in Year 11 now and next year will be my last year of secondary school).

Some of the issues I hope to tackle so far:

Bullying
Body image
Relationship drama
Drug abuse (considering I live in Australia where teenage drug addiction is a big problem)
Abuse of power by teachers
Managing school and other activities such as work and hobbies
Lonliness (one of the main characters is a teenage girl from America who moves to Australia and struggles to find friends)

I'm also considering more serious issues like teen pregnancy, rape, and suicide but I want to be extremely careful when it comes to portraying issues like that because I know some people might be upset if I don't portray them accurately. I'm not starting the story itself until I have a clear idea of what I'm actually going to write about. I'm expecting this to be something a long-term project and I don't want to mess it up by rushing it.

Amethyst Rose
March 31st, 2017, 11:21 PM
So far I haven't written any of the actual story because I want to nail down the basic plot first. The problem with a lot of my stories is that I don't plan them before I start writing, so things become muddled quickly. I've had a lot of issues with stress and worrying about what I'll do after school (I'm in Year 11 now and next year will be my last year of secondary school).

Some of the issues I hope to tackle so far:

Bullying
Body image
Relationship drama
Drug abuse (considering I live in Australia where teenage drug addiction is a big problem)
Abuse of power by teachers
Managing school and other activities such as work and hobbies
Lonliness (one of the main characters is a teenage girl from America who moves to Australia and struggles to find friends)

I'm also considering more serious issues like teen pregnancy, rape, and suicide but I want to be extremely careful when it comes to portraying issues like that because I know some people might be upset if I don't portray them accurately. I'm not starting the story itself until I have a clear idea of what I'm actually going to write about. I'm expecting this to be something a long-term project and I don't want to mess it up by rushing it.

Wow, sounds like you have your work cut out for you :) if you outline it beforehand, you'll have an easier time addressing all the issues without it seeming rushed and the writing will go more smoothly.

Brightwolf
April 3rd, 2017, 07:36 PM
Yeah, like Amethyst said, outlines are great. If I may, how are you planning on tackling body image? Also, good luck! Writing is tough.

AussieNicholas
April 4th, 2017, 01:12 PM
Yeah, like Amethyst said, outlines are great. If I may, how are you planning on tackling body image? Also, good luck! Writing is tough.

Here's the storyline I'm thinking of: one of the main characters is a teenage girl from the US who came to Australia with her family, and is targeted by the other kids at school due to being an outcast with hardly any friends in a town where foreigners are kinda looked down upon. So the other kids at school bully her for anything they can think of, including her body. Now this character has a total normal body type and isn't overweight at all, but starts becoming body-conscious because of how alone she is. By the end of the storyline, she stops caring what other people think about her and only cares about the fact that she's healthy. The whole point is showing that how a person sees themselves can be manipulated by how other people see them, and that you shouldn't care if other people don't like the way you live or how you look.

Brightwolf
April 4th, 2017, 04:10 PM
Here's the storyline I'm thinking of: one of the main characters is a teenage girl from the US who came to Australia with her family, and is targeted by the other kids at school due to being an outcast with hardly any friends in a town where foreigners are kinda looked down upon. So the other kids at school bully her for anything they can think of, including her body. Now this character has a total normal body type and isn't overweight at all, but starts becoming body-conscious because of how alone she is. By the end of the storyline, she stops caring what other people think about her and only cares about the fact that she's healthy. The whole point is showing that how a person sees themselves can be manipulated by how other people see them, and that you shouldn't care if other people don't like the way you live or how you look.

Yeah, I wish I didn't care about what people thought of me lol.

Just JT
April 4th, 2017, 05:09 PM
Question, it looks like you wana get not only topics but also people's personal experiences in life, on those topics, and write about them in your story?

I'll be honest I can tell you a lot about many of those topics from
My own life. It I don't think I'd want someone else writing about my experiences.

AussieNicholas
April 4th, 2017, 11:56 PM
Question, it looks like you wana get not only topics but also people's personal experiences in life, on those topics, and write about them in your story?

I'll be honest I can tell you a lot about many of those topics from
My own life. It I don't think I'd want someone else writing about my experiences.

When I write about these issues, they'll mostly be based on my own experiences. I wouldn't incorporate the experiences of my friends in real life or anyone on this forum without their permission, and I wouldn't ask that of anyone. If I feel that I don't understand a particular topic, then I'll do as much research as I can and use that to write a story that's unique to my own characters. I'm always going to keep in mind if I'm portraying these issues in a way that's accurate and respectful. I decided to do this story because I've experienced some of these issues myself, particularly body image and depression. And I feel like I can portray these issues actually because I've experienced them.

Just JT
April 5th, 2017, 08:02 AM
Let me know if I can help