View Full Version : Making a choice to move in with my mom or dad...

March 29th, 2017, 10:09 AM
My parents got divorced 3 years ago next month and me and my brother have lived with my mom ever since, though we see our dad every week because he lives in the same city. But now my mom is moving to Colorado for school and I have to choose to stay with my dad or move to Colorado. Either way, I'm leaving the same house and friends that have living next to me for the past 12 years. I live in the Atlanta GA area so moving out to Colorado will be a big change, but I was out there just a month ago so I know what it's like. So with regards to moving or not, I'm leaning heavily towards Colorado. It gives me a fresh start, I love the outdoors and mountains, and it has skiing, skiing, and more skiing. All three are tough if not impossible to get around here. But at the same time I don't want to leave my dad (even though I think I could do it though) and I'd hate to leave my friends behind. I'm not the most popular guy but I have plenty of friends. What really makes me lean towards Colorado is the fact that I most likely will go to college out west. I'll be a senior next year so in reality I'll just be leaving a year early and it just makes sense because I'll get used to life out there and I'll wind up out there anyways. I'm 90% sure I'll move but I just want some separate opinions.

March 29th, 2017, 10:16 AM
Theres never anything wrong with a fresh start. My parents separated and I had to choose who to stay with and I chose my mom because we get along much better than my dad and I do. If you had plans on going to school out west after sr year, you would be leaving your friends behind and starting over anyway, so if you move with your mom, you can get a head start on making that fresh start in a new place. Oh yaeh, dont forget the skiing -- haha

Amethyst Rose
March 29th, 2017, 05:36 PM
A fresh start is a great thing and is hard to come by. If I was in your shoes, I would make the move. Not seeing your dad every week will be a big change and will take some time to adjust to, especially if you're really close. Do what you think will be best for you in the long run. I hope you're happy with whichever you choose.

March 29th, 2017, 08:26 PM
As Amethyst said fresh starts are hard to come by, but fi you don't need one, uprooting your life can be really hard. That isnt the only thing to take into account; are you eat to live with your father of you want to stay, new rules,new location,missing your mom who'll be far away?