PDA

View Full Version : Threads older than 2 months

IzzyB
March 24th, 2017, 07:47 AM
I don't get something here. There can be something cool in a thread, and you want to post on it, but it's older than 2 months. And if someone does, the Mod posts a disclaimer and locks it.

So why is the thread there? Why doesn't the system just archive it or delete it or something? If you can't post on it, what good is it?

Just curious. There's lots of threads I'd like to post on but don't, kinda frustrating!

Thx!
Izz

christophe
March 24th, 2017, 07:57 AM
Same for me. Alot of good threads i want to post are older :(

IzzyB
March 24th, 2017, 08:06 AM
Right. Like one I just saw was interesting and recent, but the OP was banned, so the thread was locked! Why not just delete the thread?

Amethyst Rose
March 24th, 2017, 08:23 AM
We don't delete all the old threads because the advice in them may still be relevant and help answer someone's questions. In the situation you brought up where the OP is banned, there's really no point in having ongoing discussions regarding the question of a member who is banned (some people may even use these threads as a quick way to get their post count up), but sometimes those threads won't be locked if the topic isn't specific to the OP and may help others.

IzzyB
March 24th, 2017, 08:57 AM
What about the old or locked threads that are off topic or something like that? Shouldn't you just delete those to help clean things up? What about automatically moving anything 2 months old off to the archives?

azure moonstone
March 24th, 2017, 09:08 AM
What about the old or locked threads that are off topic or something like that? Shouldn't you just delete those to help clean things up?

That would mess with the post count of many members of the forum. Also, moving threads to the archives - in the specific case of p101 (rather than just deleting them) - a lot of the time is used as an example of what isn't allowed.

What about automatically moving anything 2 months old off to the archives?

The OP is always allowed to bump or update their thread, no matter how old it is. There are many cases where a member is inactive for a long period of time and will come back (sometimes months or years later) to update their situation or even ask for more/current advice.

Amethyst Rose
March 24th, 2017, 09:08 AM
What about the old or locked threads that are off topic or something like that? Shouldn't you just delete those to help clean things up? What about automatically moving anything 2 months old off to the archives?

Those are kept as an example to members of what not to post. I see no issue with how things are now - we take action as action is necessary, and I think "this thread is over 2 months old so I'm moving it now even though no one bumped it" comes off as impulsive as no rule is broken there.

IzzyB
March 24th, 2017, 03:17 PM
okay, that all makes sense now :) Thanks for the clarifications!! :D

Now, I also wonder how ppl get banned after less than 10 posts, but I imagine that's more their business than mine! Haha!

One really quick question on this - is it okay to post on a thread when the last post was less than 2 months ago - or do you mean the two months starts with the OP? I think I've seen threads that started like the middle of last year that keep going. Thanks!

Double post merged. Next time, please use the "Edit" button. ~Elysium

Endeavour
March 24th, 2017, 03:37 PM
One really quick question on this - is it okay to post on a thread when the last post was less than 2 months ago - or do you mean the two months starts with the OP? I think I've seen threads that started like the middle of last year that keep going. Thanks!

It's from the date of the last post. As long as the last post in a thread was less than two months ago, you're fine to post in it.

robertd2001
June 29th, 2017, 11:51 PM
I don't get something here. There can be something cool in a thread, and you want to post on it, but it's older than 2 months. And if someone does, the Mod posts a disclaimer and locks it.

So why is the thread there? Why doesn't the system just archive it or delete it or something? If you can't post on it, what good is it?

Just curious. There's lots of threads I'd like to post on but don't, kinda frustrating!

Thx!
Izz

I agree. My question is why the time limit happens to be 2 months. And does that mean 60 days, or 2 calendar months (59-62 days) from the date of the last post?

Elysium
June 30th, 2017, 12:00 AM
I agree. My question is why the time limit happens to be 2 months. And does that mean 60 days, or 2 calendar months (59-62 days) from the date of the last post?
The irony here is not lost on me, but I'll answer this anyway:

I'm not actually sure where the two month limit comes from. It might've just been arbitrary. And we don't take into account the days in each month; for example, the cutoff for this thread would've been May 24th, since the last post was March 24th.

Now I don't think I need to explain why I'm locking this :locked2: