PDA

View Full Version : I feel uptight and uncomfortable around people who are not my family

CashMeSadi
March 22nd, 2017, 02:18 PM
Family meaning my brothers, sister, and parents. Anyone else I feel awkward with, like it's such a struggle to be myself all of a sudden. I feel so uptight and tense that I hate it. I see people in public chilling with their friends or talking to strangers and they make it look so easy to be themselves, whereas I get caught up in some other shh.
Could this be my anxiety or what?

ClaraWho
March 22nd, 2017, 06:46 PM
Clearly it is social anxiety. But don't worry too much about labels as they tend to get you stuck in a stupid, pointless cycle. Nobody is born confident. Just like nobody is born an expert. You may have a natural affinity or capacity for something, but without practice you'll never be that good. That's all it is. Practice. Put yourself out there, do it over and over again. In time you'll be that person sparking conversation with strangers. I always recommend acting classes as a good place as sometimes it is easier playing a role. Fake it till you make it right? We become what we replicate, time and time again.

~ Clara

ska8er
March 22nd, 2017, 08:57 PM
Could b anxiety but r u self confident with urself?
If u r at ease with family members and not with
others u may lack confidence. B urself and act
natural. Ask questions about themselves. Break
the ice. People have their own anxieties even tho
u may think they don't show it.

Seraph
March 23rd, 2017, 10:24 AM
It is simply a matter of trust, you trust your family more than any random friend, and that is a good thing, because no one will understand you better than them.

I can relate to you, I have only 2-3 non-kin friends (but they are very good friends) and others are my kinsmen and cousins. If you want to be friends with me, you have to earn my trust. I like it this way, even though I get extremely uncomfortable around strangers.

idefineme
March 23rd, 2017, 11:47 AM
No reason to label, it's just a synonym for programming a setback. Start by practice,maybe on here extend your horizons, talk to people. Maybe speak to siblings friends or farther family. It si so rewarding, KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE GOAL AT ALL TIMES!