PDA

View Full Version : Parents buying their kids cars.

CosmicNoodle
March 18th, 2017, 03:46 PM
I've noticed a trend amount a lot of people my age, none of them bought their own first car, or paid for the insurance, or in some cases even fuel.

So now I need to find out if this translates on an international scale, did you buy your own first car? And did you pay for it's running costs?

Bull
March 18th, 2017, 03:52 PM
My first car, a 1999 Jeep, was a birthday gift. I paid insurance. Lived on a ranch so gas was free.

Drunkenprofesser
March 19th, 2017, 03:12 AM
I payed for everything for my first car, a 2003 Mitsubishi magna executive. fuel, insurance, roadside assist. it really bugs me, when parents just give their children things like cars, because, at least to me, it seems like they loose appreciation for it, like they just assume that people will hand them everything they want in life. maybe my view is somewhat distorted or bias but thats how i see it

Periphery
March 19th, 2017, 06:43 AM
I don't have my own car yet, going to (try) get my license on April 10th and then I'll use my mom's car untill I can afford my own. A friend of mine got his car from his parents and they payed for it (brand new one). I'll probably just find a small used one because tbh, why bother investing in something expensive as your first car?

Dmaxd123
March 19th, 2017, 07:27 AM
first car i got to drive was my parent's old mini-van i had to pay for gas but they covered everything else. it did come with stipulations though

when I wanted "my" own vehicle that I didn't have to share I bought a truck which my parents bought and I had to make payments as well as repairs and fuel, insurance was on a group policy so parents covered that since it didn't add much

Professional Russian
March 19th, 2017, 02:12 PM
i did buy my first truck but now i drive my dads since my last one died. and let me tell you the amount of money ive put in that chevy in fuel, repairs, and other shit i could have bought it new

Vicboy2707
March 22nd, 2017, 08:41 AM
I payed for my first car it's a 1979 Toyota landcruiser I pay for diesel insurance and registration I have all my own tools to fix it on the roadside so I don't need roadside assist

Cognizant
April 11th, 2017, 05:34 AM
Guilty as charged, my dad bought my first car. An 04 Camry. He paid the insurance, gas, maintenance, everything. I even had the audacity to complain to him about how much I disliked the car. I was a shitty teenager lol

I did, however, just buy myself my first car all by myself last month-ish. A 2016 Honda Civic. It feels really rewarding to say it's truly mine. I make the monthly payments, he pays the insurance. We trade off paying for gas since I can actually afford to fill up this car (much more fuel efficient and smaller tank than my Camry). Maintenance is covered by my Warranty

jdhud024
May 23rd, 2017, 11:38 PM
Nope, my truck is our 2007 F250 5.4L gasser that we have had since 2010. It's paid off, which is the main reason I was able to get it. My parents have since gotten a newer 2013 F250 Powerstroke for themselves so they have a tow vehicle for the 5th wheel and boat. We've already established though that once I get a job I'm gonna buy it from them, which is fine with me. I do pay for fuel half the time, and any small work it needs done I usually do, just because I like working on cars. But for about 200,000 miles, she runs like a dream, couldn't be happier with the old girl. It hasn't had any major engine work besides a new alternator and power steering pump, but that was because I buried it in mud, killing the alternator, and sand, killing the power steering pump, not its fault in any way.

HahaWaitWhat
May 28th, 2017, 08:58 PM
I bought both of my cars myself with no help from my family, I put my own money into my cars too.

Saved up for 5-6 months to buy my first car, owned it for a little under two years and sold it.

Got a few promotions, and I decided that I really wanted a nicer car. So I sold my first car, which paid for about half of my new car, and now I make the payments and pay the insurance on this car too.

Bull
May 28th, 2017, 09:05 PM
My first car, a 1999 Jeep, was a birthday gift. I paid insurance. Lived on a ranch so gas was free.

Just an update. I am now driving a SUV and I now buy my gas, pay for insurance, upkeep and every thing related to operation of my car.

SethfromMI
May 28th, 2017, 09:11 PM
still driving my first vehicle. I paid for it, costs, gas, etc. Although I am on my parent's insurance, I help pay for my share of that as well. I am fine with all of that though

Aldee
June 10th, 2017, 09:21 PM
I don't have my own car and use my dad's. Would love my own though.

jdhud024
June 10th, 2017, 11:01 PM
Nope, my truck is our 2007 F250 5.4L gasser that we have had since 2010. It's paid off, which is the main reason I was able to get it. My parents have since gotten a newer 2013 F250 Powerstroke for themselves so they have a tow vehicle for the 5th wheel and boat. We've already established though that once I get a job I'm gonna buy it from them, which is fine with me. I do pay for fuel half the time, and any small work it needs done I usually do, just because I like working on cars. But for about 200,000 miles, she runs like a dream, couldn't be happier with the old girl. It hasn't had any major engine work besides a new alternator and power steering pump, but that was because I buried it in mud, killing the alternator, and sand, killing the power steering pump, not its fault in any way.

Just wanna make clear cause I don't want it to appear how it probably does, I'm not trying to leech off of my parents. But with us moving four hours away and constantly going back and forth to get our house we own now ready to sell while my other parent lives four hours away makes it kinda hard to really have a job. Don't want it to seem like I'm just leeching off of my parents lol.

Microcosm
June 11th, 2017, 06:53 PM
My parents currently pay all expenses for my car. I'm 17 and in high school. I work really hard at school and take tough, college-level classes. It's a job for which I don't get paid. I think their paying for my car is really a good reward for that hard work. I'm not trying to brag or anything, but it should be noted that high school kids don't have many good opportunities for solid and consistent income. Getting a job at 16 and 17 can be hard as well and you don't get paid well.