PDA

View Full Version : Counselling

Girl2567
March 13th, 2017, 07:59 PM
I have been depressed for quite a while now since my nana passed away and I have been to the doctors and have put me on depression tablets but they think I should attend counselling.. is it a good idea to talk to someone about my problems

Amethyst Rose
March 13th, 2017, 09:50 PM
Welcome to VT, Girl2567 :) I'm sorry to hear about your nanna's passing.

Do you personally feel that you would benefit from talking to a counselor? Counseling can help, but it isn't necessarily what's best for everyone - you just need to try and see if it works for you. For it to be effective, you have to be honest with your counselor at all times and cooperative with him/her regarding their methods of trying to help you.

Is the medication you're on helping at all? How long have you been taking it?

Girl2567
March 14th, 2017, 05:44 AM
Personally I don't really think counselling would help me, the medication is helping me I think as I'm feeling abit better than I was before

Just JT
March 14th, 2017, 09:54 AM
If you feel you wana talk to someone about it you absolutely should. Counselors and therapist pretty much suck. They get all that baggage you don't wana think about to much out in the open

But when it's out and easier to talk about, it's just easier
In life to. Then those counselors and therapist feel more
Like a trusted friend.

Go for it, nothing to lose

Girl2567
March 18th, 2017, 08:15 AM
Ok! I think I'll try counselling, thank you

zzzzzzzzzz
March 18th, 2017, 08:33 AM
I have been depressed for quite a while now since my nana passed away and I have been to the doctors and have put me on depression tablets but they think I should attend counselling.. is it a good idea to talk to someone about my problems

What you're feeling is quite normal. The loss of a grandparent is probably the first major loss a lot of us will go through. I've been through it, and know the pain you go through when it happened. A counsellor can help. Talking about it helps. Has it been some time? Even talking with parents or other family members, talking of memories, it helps. If you end up crying, so what. It's good to let the emotions out. I really hope the pain disappears, and you're left with the happy memories.

Microcosm
March 21st, 2017, 12:26 PM
Personally, I felt very awkward when I first did counselling and I never told him anything personal. I always just said that my medicine was working and I was feeling great because I didn't want to talk to him about anything sensitive. I got off counselling without ever having had a serious discussion with him. Looking back on it, I really could have opened up to him. It's his job to help me, after all.

I think it's worth a shot.