PDA

View Full Version : How to persuade parents to let you travel?

theteenghost
March 12th, 2017, 05:16 PM
I currently live in Ireland and London is a place I've always wanted to see. I turned 16 last October and this was a happy moment for me as now I could fly alone on a plane. Recently I've been looking at places to visit in London and getting very excited but my mum doesn't want to let me go.
How can I persuade her?
It's also super hypocritical of her as she moved to Russia (from latvia) at the age of 14.

PinkFloyd
March 12th, 2017, 08:44 PM
You could explain to her that you aren't naive and that you'd be able to handle yourself. The part of your brain that's responsible for making judgement calls is still developing, but you still have an adult mindset. That means that the choices you make as a 16 year-old are very comparable to choices you'd make as a 19 or even 20 year-old. I used that argument with my parents when I was 18 to let me stay out all night and do what I want. I said that if they weren't able to get used to being comfortable with me being on my own for long periods of time at night, then they would be uncomfortable with it when I move out at the age of 20. You could also touch on the fact that your mom made it just fine when she moved hundreds of miles from Latvia to Russia. Just make sure to not call her a hypocrite or anything like that. You want to identify with your parents so they see your point of view.

Honestly, it'll be a tricky sell because you're still only 16, which is still pretty young. When I persuaded my parents to ease up on me, I had already graduated high school.

ska8er
March 12th, 2017, 09:53 PM
Maybe she had a bad experience when she moved
and she doesn't want u to go thru the same. Explain
to her to give u a chance but if u argue with her u have
less of a chance to change her mind.

ClaraWho
March 14th, 2017, 02:48 PM
You could explain to her that you aren't naive and that you'd be able to handle yourself. The part of your brain that's responsible for making judgement calls is still developing, but you still have an adult mindset. That means that the choices you make as a 16 year-old are very comparable to choices you'd make as a 19 or even 20 year-old. I used that argument with my parents when I was 18 to let me stay out all night and do what I want. I said that if they weren't able to get used to being comfortable with me being on my own for long periods of time at night, then they would be uncomfortable with it when I move out at the age of 20. You could also touch on the fact that your mom made it just fine when she moved hundreds of miles from Latvia to Russia. Just make sure to not call her a hypocrite or anything like that. You want to identify with your parents so they see your point of view.

Honestly, it'll be a tricky sell because you're still only 16, which is still pretty young. When I persuaded my parents to ease up on me, I had already graduated high school.

I've never seen any evidence to suggest there's any close comparison between maturity at 16, and that at 18/19. In fact, I've seen an awful lot of evidence stating exactly the opposite. There's a huge difference.

As for going to London, I strongly wouldn't recommend doing so on your own. You didn't mention where in Ireland you are from, but London has 8.5Million people. The dynamics are very different. I'm a Londoner myself and can tell you when my friends come to visit from elsewhere even in the U.K., the level of street smarts needed for London is lacking. Living here you develop an encyclopaedic knowledge of how to avoid trouble, which areas to avoid, who to avoid, what not to do or say in certain situations. I cringe when I overhear even groups of teen tourists saying they are going to an area like Lambeth. Bruh, you are gonna get stabbed :confused: . I've also called the police on teens being mugged in broad daylight, outside a Tesco, beside Trafalgar Square by a drug addict who then lay down on the main road in front of a Lamborghini... before getting into a physical fight with the driver...

Point is, yes, London is an incredible city. You should definitely visit! I love it here, which is why we Londoners put up with the negatives. But I'd wait another couple of years, or arrange a group trip with friends at least. Parents are usually more happy to let teens go in a group (I wouldn't but yeah...). Also act responsibly, hold down a part-time job, stick to curfews, don't go out drinking - show them you can act like an adult without supervision.

If you want more info on London, let me know!

~ Clara

Just JT
March 14th, 2017, 05:11 PM
First, I wouldn't use moms experiences to justify why why not how or what ever you should travel alone or not

From there, I'd make plans, with backbone pnplans for what ifs. When done present the whole mess to them for "their advise and input"

Go from there

Jamesk0050
March 16th, 2017, 07:02 PM
Keep talking to her and try to get the support of other family members to help you make the argument to travel.

IzzyB
March 22nd, 2017, 05:43 AM
I dont know anything about travel, and dont really have the chance to. But there's a lot of good advice here: be safe, understand your mom's feelings, dont feel you have to jump out into the world right this instant, and travel only when you're ready!