PDA

View Full Version : Pope Said Better Be Atheist Than Hypocritical Catholic

mattsmith48
February 27th, 2017, 12:05 AM
"It is a scandal to say one thing and do another. That is a double life."

"There are those who say 'I am very Catholic, I always go to Mass, I belong to this and that association'," the head of the 1.2 billion-member Roman Catholic Church said, according to a Vatican Radio transcript.

He said that some of these people should also say "'my life is not Christian, I don't pay my employees proper salaries, I exploit people, I do dirty business, I launder money, (I lead) a double life'."

"There are many Catholics who are like this and they cause scandal," he said. "How many times have we all heard people say 'if that person is a Catholic, it is better to be an atheist'."

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/pope-suggests-better-atheist-hypocritical-catholic-131306690.html

Voice_Of_Unreason
February 27th, 2017, 11:19 AM
So? The Bible is very harsh upon hypocrites, often describing hypocritical "Christians" as being worse than those who don't believe. Jesus even said in Revelations 3:16 that hypocritical Christians are to be "spewed out of his mouth." I am very critical of the Catholic Church, but even I don't sense anything that is doctrinally unsound.

mattsmith48
February 27th, 2017, 02:35 PM
So? The Bible is very harsh upon hypocrites, often describing hypocritical "Christians" as being worse than those who don't believe. Jesus even said in Revelations 3:16 that hypocritical Christians are to be "spewed out of his mouth." I am very critical of the Catholic Church, but even I don't sense anything that is doctrinally unsound.

I just like that he's attacking conservatives. :)

Leprous
February 27th, 2017, 02:43 PM
I just like that he's attacking conservatives. :)

You know that wasn't even aimed at them right? The entire Vatican is a bunch of hypocrits there's no need to make this a left vs right shitstorm like you always do

Stronk Serb
February 27th, 2017, 04:19 PM
Well, I am an agnostic conservative, so check-mate left-winger!

Dmaxd123
March 1st, 2017, 06:49 PM
i don't think the pope was aiming for a left vs right.

I'm not catholic but I am a Christian, I accept gays/lesbians/ect. as I feel it isn't MY place to judge, I figure I have enough shit on my plate, God will do the judging I will just be accepting & try to be open & considerate

bentheplayer
March 6th, 2017, 04:06 AM
I think all rational moderate religious leaders will think that its is better for hypocrites to be atheist than to claim to be from a certain religion as all it does is to discredit that religion. Extremism is often packaged under the cover of religion as a smokescreen in their weak attempt to legitimize their actions and claim religious intolerance. Its also disgusting when religious people attempt to politicize their ideologies and force the secular to legalize discrimination in supposedly secular states. Not everyone believe in those ideologies so why should everyone be forced to live by those ideologies? People who do that are hypocritical too.

Pyromaniac27
March 7th, 2017, 07:39 AM
i,agree, if you are volenteering at a church you should not be paid only the pastor should receive a salorie, also donations should go to bills for the church and robes for the church along with other supplies, other money should be used to give to charities, not buy bigger churches

mattsmith48
March 7th, 2017, 03:36 PM
I think all rational moderate religious leaders will think that its is better for hypocrites to be atheist than to claim to be from a certain religion as all it does is to discredit that religion.

I think he meant because those hypocrites are calling them self Christians its better for non-hypocrites Christians to be Atheist.

bentheplayer
March 8th, 2017, 03:54 AM
I think he meant because those hypocrites are calling them self Christians its better for non-hypocrites Christians to be Atheist.

That is precisely why I said hypocrites actions will only discredit the religion be it Christianity, Islam, Catholics, Buddhist, Hindus or what not. These hypocrites are not truly religious and cannot be considered as religious as they don't act in accordance to what religion tells them to do. The pope was talking about distinguishing between those who lead a Christian lifestyle vs those who act like a Christian. You know the saying wolf in sheep clothing? Its the rotten apples that are giving them a bad name and causes certain religions to be ostracized wrongly.

Stronk Serb
March 9th, 2017, 06:14 PM
I stand in defence of Christisnity because the alternative is far worse

mattsmith48
March 9th, 2017, 10:43 PM
I stand in defence of Christisnity because the alternative is far worse

Which alternative? Mormonism?

Stronk Serb
March 10th, 2017, 05:24 AM
Which alternative? Mormonism?

Mormonism, Islam...

Devinsoccer
March 19th, 2017, 01:16 AM

Cathlocs believe in God. God created the bible. The bible has words. The bible can be vary harsh upon hypocrites. Hypocrites are people who say one thing and do the oposite. Being a hypocrite is bad. People who don't believe are also bad.

Now why do people say being a hypocritical Christain worse? It explains itself. You tell people to love one another, to do all of this stuff. Expcially believe in God.

Now as I just said that a hypocrite does the opposite of what he says. Not only does it show they don't believe in God, they take the bible, God's word and turn it over and say "This shit is a worthless pile dog shit piled on..." That's what it does.

Also, please keep in mind, puting cathlocs in quotations is quite offensive, and explain to me why we are "spewed out of his mouth".

Katie96xox
March 23rd, 2017, 09:22 AM
The Pope said that practicing Catholics who run dodgy businesses and commit crimes against others are not proper Catholics and cause non-Catholics to question the morality of the Catholic Church as a whole. He didn't say that hypocritical Catholics were worse than atheists at all and he's not attacking conservatives as you said he was.

Seriously though, over the last four years Pope Francis has said so many liberal things yet you still have to twist his words to make them fit your agenda. That says to me that you must be pretty damn extreme, much more extreme left than conservative Catholics or Trump supporters are extreme right.

bentheplayer
March 23rd, 2017, 11:53 PM
The Pope said that practicing Catholics who run dodgy businesses and commit crimes against others are not proper Catholics and cause non-Catholics to question the morality of the Catholic Church as a whole. He didn't say that hypocritical Catholics were worse than atheists at all and he's not attacking conservatives as you said he was.

Seriously though, over the last four years Pope Francis has said so many liberal things yet you still have to twist his words to make them fit your agenda. That says to me that you must be pretty damn extreme, much more extreme left than conservative Catholics or Trump supporters are extreme right.

The extent of hypocrisy in your statement is amusing. Nowhere did matt suggest that the pope was targeting anyone apart from false Catholics. You seem to be more intent of perceiving what others say as attacking yourself to afford yourself a false sense of victimhood. How hilarious considering that you are the one who is actually guilty of twisting the words of others and attempting to assert meaning when there is none.

lliam
March 24th, 2017, 01:43 AM
One could become almost Catholic, only because of this pope.

christophe
March 24th, 2017, 01:50 AM
I think like the pope, being catholic.