PDA

View Full Version : YouTube as a Career

AceOfHearts
February 24th, 2017, 08:50 PM
So, I want YouTube to be a career option for me because I think it would be an amazing thing and so many people look like they have so much fun with it. But I have a few questions.

1) What videos would people most like to watch?
2) Has it ever crossed your mind as a hobby/career path?
3) Do people think it would be a good idea

I understand that a "Job" like this would require patients and that is defiantly something I am willing to give into it. I just need idea's really. I'm stumped on what to do and If it's a good idea in general. Thank you x

rioo
February 24th, 2017, 10:13 PM
I love music, Ive seen people more enjoying watching something like drum cover or guitar cover, mostly rock or pop song.
I never learn about specific video editing, so maybe someday if I have friend coworker for making video.
That is good but you need to maintaining your productivity, because entertainment market is already saturated, and always have new talent.

everlong
February 24th, 2017, 10:40 PM
Make Minecraft lets plays

Mars
February 24th, 2017, 10:42 PM
Make Minecraft lets plays

fym fam Roblox is superior.

Tbh tho I've considered doing youtube videos. Then I remember that i don't give a shit Lmao.

It's a hard thing to follow and you aren't going to make (a lot, or potentially any) money off of it. However, if you make it big you make it big.

EvaNL
February 25th, 2017, 11:07 AM
Remember that for every Youtube star there are a thousand failures. It's harder than it looks to get a decent pay from doing it. It requires investing money, effort, time and it requires perseverance. Especially in the beginning you won't earn much, or anything. So you will have to have either some savings or have some other source of income.

But in general: if you really want to do something, go for it!
Good luck :)

Amethyst Rose
February 25th, 2017, 11:18 AM
If you really want to and you're willing to put forth the effort, there's no reason you shouldn't pursue it. Tbh I don't know what your income would be, but it would be a good idea to have something to fall back on to avoid any financial struggles. You might not want to hear that (it annoys me when people tell me that) but it's the truth.

Romulus_
March 5th, 2017, 07:55 AM
YouTube should not be seen from the get-go as your career. Go into it, seeing it as more of a hobby than a career. YouTube will not last forever and it is incredibly difficult to continue making quality, original videos that are also enjoyable to watch. It requires dedication, editing prowess, and charisma in order to be successful on YouTube. That being said, if you are willing to make the effort, it seems that the most successful channels are "Let's Play" ones or "Sketch Comedy" ones. Let's Play channels (i.e. Pewdiepie, Markiplier, Vanoss) are easier to produce content, but require a much greater quantity in order to appease your audience. Sketch Comedy channels (i.e. Smosh, Nigahiga, ERB) are a lot harder to come up with new material for, but are given a lot more time between uploads.

All that being said, if you are willing to make such commitment and you manage to find success (500,000+ subs maybe), then you can begin seeing it as a career path for yourself. But be warned that YouTube currenly loses money for Google, and at any moment if Google begins suffering financially, they could pull the plug on it, just like Twitter did with Vine. Many YouTubers usually have jobs that provide them with the income they need until their channel takes off, which could possibly be never, so you should be prepared and get a job like that of your own.

Uniquemind
March 6th, 2017, 08:13 AM
Not only what others have said, but as someone who seriously thought about going this route too and decided against it I must pass on some trains of thought.

When people talk about investing in youtube, what does that mean?

It means a lot of time and thought needs to go I to where you record and what time of day you record your visuals and audio.

1. Is the lighting good, is the sound good? Is my neighbor's dog barking ruining my recording?

2. Do I understand all the complex video recording equipment and how they all need to be wired up a certain way to support the best visuals, sounds, upload speeds, and editing speeds with twitch or youtube?

3. Do I have enough money to begin or endure slowdowns?

4. How does youtube's algorithms support a new hypothetical channel of whatever I'm gonna do?

---

Ultimately watching all the established youtubers who are already big and watching all the drama they dealt with in 2016, really soured my idea of doing youtube.

Not only do you need a good theme for your channel, you need to have a natural knack for basic Tech troubleshooting, marketing, and legal contacts in case you need to fight off a lawsuit or copyright strike.

In 2016, so many video and channel takedowns occurred, as well as youtubers sueing or having collaboration projects fallout causing "youtube drama".

There's even issues with youtubers getting pranked and swatted by viewers who track down where the youtuber was broadcasting from and then making emergency response break into a person's house or even have their families threatened once personal info leaks.

It's really intense and unless you're prepared for that I highly do not recommend it.

NoahNoah
March 6th, 2017, 09:45 AM
1) What videos would people most like to watch? If you look at the top 100 most subscribed list right now, a vast majority of the channels that aren't VEVO channels are gaming channels, so maybe you could tap into that market, although because the market is saturated in gaming channels it might be best to go for something more unique and something more stand out, like maybe game reviews, or a reviewing based channel on something else.
2) Has it ever crossed your mind as a hobby/career path? It certainly has.
3) Do people think it would be a good idea? Honestly no. Although it would be cool to do, it isn't really practical and you need to build the audience instead to get to the point of it being a job before you can actually profit from it. Also, in the U.S youtubers get absolutely horrifically taxed, something ridiculous like over 50% of your income is taken for taxation purposes.

MrSandman
June 13th, 2017, 08:49 AM
I'm considering doing it too, in fact, I've already started my own tiny gaming channel, and I really enjoy it.
What sort of things interest you? What sort of thing would you happily do for years on end? Gaming? Music?
Whatever the answer to that question is, make videos about that. More importantly, if you're going to become a YouTuber, make sure it's because you actually enjoy doing it, rather than just for money.
As long as you be your normal self, do something you actually enjoy and interact with your fans, you can make it big.

refrigeratorx
June 13th, 2017, 09:11 AM
http://m.wikihow.com/Make-Yourself-Famous-on-YouTube

A big thing I notice is how u need to have consistency. One video a week posted same day, same time. Being present. Etc. hope this article helps I'm sure you've seen it before tho.

Endeavour
June 13th, 2017, 09:14 AM
This thread was bumped. :locked: