PDA

View Full Version : nervous about being put on medication

Babs
February 23rd, 2017, 05:22 PM
So I went to a doctor because I get a crazy amount of complex partial seizures and they've referred me to a neurologist, and I was told that I would most likely be put on medication. They gave me some papers with information on seizures and medication and whatnot. It's extremely likely that I'll be put on benzodiazepines; many anticonvulsants are also used to treat bipolar depression or anxiety, valium for example.

I'm pretty nervous about the whole idea because benzos scare the fuck out of me. I don't want to feel tired all the time and I don't know what effects it will have on my mood. I've never been put on medication before.

So the question is, have you ever been prescribed benzos, or other medication that is used to treat epilepsy (I'm not talking recreational use here) and what was your experience?

Just JT
February 26th, 2017, 10:29 PM
I take meds to. Not the same as yours, and I don't like them either. But here's how I see it.
The meds they give you might work and might not. They may need to adjust the dose a few times or something. And you might find out a different med works better later on after playing around with different meds and doses a while.

How they make you feel are side effects. You might have some and you might not. They could also give you more meds to counter act the sideffects if there bad enough.

For me, yeah it took a while to get the right kind and dose etc. and I like how I act behave and feel better when I'm on the meds. Cause I don't do stuff that's bad or wrong, they allow me more self control. But that's me

Just give them a try. And talk to your dr about how you feel on them. You might feel better on them. If you don't then tell him about it and he'll make an adjustment I'm sure. It sometimes takes time for some meds to take full effect to.

Let me know how you make out ok?

Deleted User
February 27th, 2017, 11:28 PM
I'm on Lactimal and clonazepam, an anti-convulsant and a benzo. Both are used to treat BPD and bipolar disorder for me in particular (they target the same areas of the brain as they do for seizures) but they're actually the only medications I've been able to tolerate. I don't find they make me that tired, especially not once you've been on them for awhile. Clonazepam is usually prescribed in very small doses and Lactimal goes up progressively so you won't see too many side effects. Both are very tolerable.

I wouldn't be too nervous. All medications come with side effects and risks but the thing is, if you don't believe it's working for you, just go back to your doctor and say so. The one thing I do advise though is DO NOT go off your meds overnight. Medications used to treat epilepsy can result in further seizures if you stop them suddenly. As long as you're following instructions and are aware of any potential side effects, you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Tyler97
March 22nd, 2017, 04:59 PM
I should have replied to this post earlier because I have a lot of experience with anti seizure meds. I take carbamazepine and keppra. A lot of anticonvulsant meds are also used as mood stabalizers and some control nerve pain, if you have questions or concerns ask me, I've been on them since I was 8.

benbeny
March 23rd, 2017, 09:59 AM
me too, i take carbamazepine and lorazepam...
many CNS drugs can be used to treat epilepsy as well as psychiatric conditions, because they act on same receptor on the brain. if you need help you can PM me, I'll be glad to help to explain

Tyler97
March 23rd, 2017, 10:41 AM
me too, i take carbamazepine and lorazepam...
many CNS drugs can be used to treat epilepsy as well as psychiatric conditions, because they act on same receptor on the brain. if you need help you can PM me, I'll be glad to help to explain

Good for you to be in med school, I'm in my second year of Nursing, my grades weren't good enough to get into Med school, plus I'm still having 3 or 4 seizures a year, which makes it hard for school.

benbeny
March 24th, 2017, 08:37 AM
Good for you to be in med school, I'm in my second year of Nursing, my grades weren't good enough to get into Med school, plus I'm still having 3 or 4 seizures a year, which makes it hard for school.

In here, we have different education system, but still, med school is very competitive, and sometimes I feel I'm not worthy to be in here. Hope you're going well with your seizures, and wish you greatest of luck in education and in professional career.

Tyler97
March 27th, 2017, 10:48 AM
In here, we have different education system, but still, med school is very competitive, and sometimes I feel I'm not worthy to be in here. Hope you're going well with your seizures, and wish you greatest of luck in education and in professional career.

Thanks, I'm doing well with my seizure control, my last one was in August and I only had 2 the whole year. I'm doing well in school, but it's a lot work, plus I work part time at a nursing home and can't wait until I graduate, my family keep saying that the time will go quickly, but it can't be quick enough for me. Good luck with your meds and give it time for them to work, I used to have daily seizures and until I found the right combination of drugs I was a mess. Again good luck.