PDA

View Full Version : Depression at college

Brightwolf
February 23rd, 2017, 03:41 PM
So my college sent me this anonymous mental health survey to take and I took it. It said that I had symptoms of major depression (which I don't doubt) and that I could be at risk for suicide (something which I could see). In it there was the email of the head health and wellness person at my college. I'm scared of my family finding out but I feel like I should email them and get screened. I'm also scared in general of this if it means going to therapy/counciling because I have no clue what it's like. Any advice?

Bull
February 23rd, 2017, 03:56 PM
Ok, you are an adult. Check with your school about parental contact. At my school my parents can't even get my grades let alone medical information. I would think you would be wise to take advantage of services offered for your own well being. Gather information/facts and then make an informed decision. Good luck.

Brightwolf
February 23rd, 2017, 05:09 PM
Billy mine signed a form that says they can access it I think. It was back when I was 17 so I couldn't do anything. Another problem is that I have no idea what to email the person. I think that I could say that I didn't want family to know about it though. Thanks.

Microcosm
February 23rd, 2017, 11:06 PM
There's no problem with seeking help for a potential problem. The mental health advisor and any counselors/psychiatrists he or she may send you to are there to help you. If you tell them that you're having problems, they know how to deal with that and they'll do their best to not make it awkward for you.

It's good that you're considering getting help.