PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Public Transport system

german_boy
February 21st, 2017, 12:12 PM
Hey guys,
what city has the best public transport system?

I really love the Vienesse system: Trains every 5 minutes, in peak times every 3 minutes and the services are operating even during night on weekends.

I also love the tube at London: "Mind the gap". Even though the city is very big and there are so many passengers they handle it very good and you get around easily and quickly.

I would like the system of Munich as well. However, there are many disruptions, overcrowded stations + trains and the tubes go every 10 mins only and not during night.

Ben101
February 21st, 2017, 03:41 PM
I love the London system, and the entire UK train network. London is so easy though and very cheap on the buses too.

eric2001
February 21st, 2017, 07:46 PM
Last summer, I visited my aunt and uncle in Los Angeles. I stayed with them for two weeks. Their house was walking distance to the Metro. I used it a lot and thought it was great.

rioo
February 22nd, 2017, 11:44 AM
I was in Tokyo, they really have awesome system transportation. But yeah we still need to walking alot but thats fun, and a bit confusing because we have many option haha.
And that bullet train, :)

EvaNL
February 23rd, 2017, 10:57 AM
I'm biased and still going to say: Amsterdam, my hometown. Trains, trams, metros and buses go everywhere and are simple to use. Even though I do my normal trips on my bike :)

Falcons_11
February 23rd, 2017, 11:34 PM
My favorite public transportation system is San Francisco's BART, especially the cable cars. I really liked riding those cable cars through the scenic areas. My favorite route is Powell-Hyde line which goes through Chinatown and ends near Fishermen's Wharf. Besides the cable cars, San Francisco is a great place to visit.

Gumleaf
February 26th, 2017, 06:39 AM
On recent experience I found the London tube on the most part to be outstanding. Frequency is fantastic and passenger information is relatively good too.

I'm a fan of the NYC subway, however they need improvement on passenger information at stations. On many occasions I would arrive at a station and have no idea when the next train would be because of no information displays.

Closer to home I'm a fan of Melbourne trams and trains. Frequency and information is pretty good and updates on disruptions are good.

EvaNL
March 2nd, 2017, 03:17 PM
On recent experience I found the London tube on the most part to be outstanding. Frequency is fantastic and passenger information is relatively good too.

I was in London last year. The Tube is great indeed, but in summer it was so hot that a girl collapsed.

HahaWaitWhat
March 3rd, 2017, 01:46 AM
The BART in the bay area is probably my favorite. Rode to San Fran on New Years with my girlfriend, her cousin, and her cousin's boyfriend. Was completely empty, made for a nice experience.

Gumleaf
March 3rd, 2017, 07:29 AM
I was in London last year. The Tube is great indeed, but in summer it was so hot that a girl collapsed.

I did notice the no air con on the tube trains. When I arrived it was a cool morning, but when dragging a heap of luggage around I was hot when I got on the train and it took the whole hour long trip to cool off on the stuffy train. So I imagine summer is dreadfully uncomfortable.

The BART in the bay area is probably my favorite. Rode to San Fran on New Years with my girlfriend, her cousin, and her cousin's boyfriend. Was completely empty, made for a nice experience.

I rode on BART just a couple of weeks ago. I think the service is great and the trains are comfortable. But the squealing sound when the trains go through the tunnels is sooooo loud. I had my iTunes playing at a reasonable volume and couldn't hear it over the squealing.

feli 99
March 23rd, 2017, 09:42 AM
i love the Public transprt in munich

Emilyyy
April 15th, 2017, 05:01 AM
Not really had too much experience of public transport systems but the London underground puts Glasgow's tiny subway system to shame. It's a wonder it all works so seamlessly!

Cognizant
April 18th, 2017, 07:16 PM

Be lucky you didn't ride it during weekday rush because it's literally packed to the brim whenever I have to take it lmao

From a practicality standpoint, I love the MUNI in San Francisco. It goes everywhere - if I were living in the city, I probably would sell my Camry and not need to use my 2nd car at all. However, it is quite slow and crowded. But what it lacks in quality it makes up for in frequency of service - which for any public transit system, is very important to the rider.

NathanFloGrown
April 18th, 2017, 07:19 PM
Since I love to workout, I tend to not use public transportation. I do use my car all the time but if Im just gonna go out for some fun im going to use my legs.

Claire Asteroid
May 21st, 2017, 10:03 AM
I like going on the tube when I have visited London. I don't know many other cities with big public transport systems.

user-999
May 21st, 2017, 10:35 AM
I love using metro in every city I go, that has one. I liked New York, It was easy to travel to anywhere + there weren't long waiting times. But Paris was good too.

Dmaxd123
May 22nd, 2017, 06:49 PM
i'm a rural resident so my choices are pretty much Amtrack or flying for public transportation

i like rail travel to see the countryside but love airplanes for the get there factor.

some of the large city transport systems could be interesting if I was with someone that knew them but would really want to do it on a light day to avoid crowds that would make it miserable in my opinion

Pilyk
May 26th, 2017, 04:16 AM
I have been in Japan, and all there public transportations system is unbelivable !

Far better than every other country I had seen :) I took the train in France, Japan Germany, Swiss, Italy, the US and the UK.

Tram and metro and buses are all the same I think, apart from the vintage 1920's-style trams in Lisbon, they are so cute *o* !

As I take the train/tram and metro nearly every day, I think I am quite upset with the french one anyways ^^' Our TGV are supposed to be the best train in the whole world, but it's too expensive, planes are cheaper... I took it one time, and in my opinion the Shinkasen is more comfortable, even if the TGV go faster.

SethfromMI
May 26th, 2017, 06:26 AM
The BART in San Fran was pretty great. I love Chicago and I think they have a wonderful system as well. New York has been the best though. most extensive and so so much of it is covered in subways. I like Chicago better than New York, but they use more buses in Chicago (which isn't bad). New York has a ton of buses too, but you have more options than Chicago

HahaWaitWhat
May 28th, 2017, 08:27 PM
Be lucky you didn't ride it during weekday rush because it's literally packed to the brim whenever I have to take it lmao

From a practicality standpoint, I love the MUNI in San Francisco. It goes everywhere - if I were living in the city, I probably would sell my Camry and not need to use my 2nd car at all. However, it is quite slow and crowded. But what it lacks in quality it makes up for in frequency of service - which for any public transit system, is very important to the rider.

Yeeah, when we rode back after midnight, was completely packed

Aldee
June 10th, 2017, 09:20 PM
I'm really interested in public transport and Japan seems to have really good ones.

In Sydney, trains and buses are often late but generally well maintained.

rbw00
June 12th, 2017, 02:01 PM
I grew up riding BART in the SF Bay Area, but the trains are a little too infrequent and there is a lot of mismanagement on an administrative level. My favorite system is the DLR in London's Docklands, the trains are only 2-3 minutes apart during rush hour. Also, because the trains are automated you can sit right at the windshield which is always fun.

devotionnel
June 12th, 2017, 04:01 PM
I like the UK train network as well as the tube but definitely preferred the Italian train network from where I've been there in the past - and the Rome metro is very efficient and inexpensive albeit miniscule compared to London :P

However I feel the bus service in my area is really poor with most if not all buses running late by at least 10 minutes and show up rather infrequently so it shows that they aren't reliable in the slightest :( sometimes it means I have to leave nearly an hour early to make a bus journey to an area of town for a specific time when it's no more than a 10 minute drive...

mick01
June 15th, 2017, 02:18 PM
I keep hearing about the trains in Japan. I haven't been but I hear they're pretty amazing. And I thought New York was pretty good in that you can get anywhere. It was just confusing.