PDA

View Full Version : Language/ Brain Frying etc

Rhys2001
February 11th, 2017, 05:57 PM
Hi,

So basically I'm a Brit who's learnt to speak fluent (not bilingual) French thanks to having numerous French friends and being lucky enough to go to France a few times.

I'm at a plateau where I don't know how to advance. I listen to the radio/ several podcasts, I read the news and magazines but I feel my brain is just fried and now, my French is slower because my brain is just tired. Argh!

How am I supposed to develop my French more without going backwards?

Merci buckets!

bentheplayer
February 12th, 2017, 08:48 AM
I am pretty certain that this is normal. Its extremely difficult to be fluent in a few languages and expect to have the same standard across the various languages for us normal people. I think your approach should depend on your goal and purpose of learning french. If you want your French to be as good as your primary language then try thinking everything using French instead of English. Reading books and writing essays in french about various topics will help a lot. The biggest hurdle is being able to think in the language instead of using English as a medium where you translate between French and English.