PDA

View Full Version : English Speaking and Listening exam

nebula
February 8th, 2017, 12:28 PM
Sooo, starting on the 20th of Feb, our class are completing their speaking and listening assessments. Basically, we have to pick a topic and speak about it for about 5 minutes before answering questions from the audience (the rest of my class). I'm okay with all this, but... I have no clue what topic to do it on! I want to do a controversial and gritty topic, so the questions are a bit more interesting and it gives me the potential to get a better grade for it. I expect most people to do things like NHS, abortion, Trump... I want to do something a little different!

Has anyone got any topic ideas that I could do?? Ideally a topic that is easy to research and gather information for. Thanks in advance!!

Endeavour
February 8th, 2017, 12:40 PM
At my school, different groups did different things for the speaking and listening assessment. My group had to do like a dragons den-type pitch for a new product that we "invented". From what I've heard from the other groups, some interesting topics that seemed to do quite well were stuff like whether drugs should be made legal, whether war is justified, whether animals should be kept in zoos or let go in the wild, whether the voting age should be lowered - stuff like that. Most topics from the other groups were controversial topics, but it doesn't have to be. Try to think of something that either affects you or that you're really interested in and go from there.

Whilst I'm posting here I might as well mention some tips for the speaking exam. Don't worry about it, have cuecards/a powerpoint etc to help you re-jog your memory. Try and keep eye contact with the audience as well since if you just keep looking down at your notes, you won't really get a good mark. Don't forget that under the new GCSE the speaking and listening assessment doesn't actually count towards your final 9-1 grade, you get a separate pass/merit/distinction so it's not really worth worrying too much about, but it is still worth trying your best and preparing and all that. Good luck! :)

user-999
March 4th, 2017, 05:38 PM
Well you could talk about how much technology changes our life's and how much time we spend with them. Climate change is also another topic.