PDA

View Full Version : Coping with multiple languages

bentheplayer
February 8th, 2017, 06:11 AM
Are there people here who generally use more than 2 languages on a regular basis? How do you guys cope with it? I often find myself substituting words between languages when I forget the word in the original language that I am speaking with. The irritates me a lot but most who I speak to don't seem to mind too much. Is this a curse for those who know a few languages? It is also irritating when I feel that a particular language can't adequately convey what I want to say as well as in a different language. Some meaning just can't be adequately captured after translation.

Seraph
March 3rd, 2017, 11:42 AM
All it takes is practice. You need to think in that language, speak it and read/write.

I am Indian and thus I have to know at least two languages. I am fluent in Hindi and in English.

As I said ere, practice is the key to success. I can also speak (though not perfectly) French, Spanish and Latin. and (because I am a nerd) I am learning to speak in Quenya (elvish).

Practice is the key to success.

german_boy
March 3rd, 2017, 08:51 PM
I am used to speaking English as well as German. I've been raised bilingually and am able to switch between the languages quickly and without problems.

It's a bit more difficult with Spanish, Italian and French. I've started to learn these languages later in life (at 18, 15, 12) and since they are quite similar, I am mixing up vocabulary and grammar sometimes. However, due to the similar grammar, it is easier for me to learn a new language (Spanish). When I started to learn Italian, I always mixed up words. It's the same now with Spanish.

kylie3011
March 4th, 2017, 12:19 PM
I speak french, german and english but the language who are the most difficult is english.
I have to know a lot of expression, words for my future job. if some of you want to learn british english I know a channel on yt which called englishwithlucy this is an interesting way to learn a native language.

BlackParadePixie
March 4th, 2017, 03:08 PM
My mom has complained about this same thing before. She is fluent in English and Italian, and will sometimes mix up words, or forget a a word in one language but know it in the other...but that's usually only temporary, and not something that hinders me or others from being able to understand her.

IzzyB
March 19th, 2017, 06:49 AM
I'm so jealous of ppl who speak more than one language! I so have to learn one, or maybe more. Very cool!

TaCoonaBiKe
March 20th, 2017, 02:35 PM
i have always liked and known languages, i can make small mistakes etc... i am slovakian, and the education here is awful.. i was selftaught... i speak slovak, czech, english, german, russian on a fluent/good level, then i have trouble with swedish, arabic, spanish.. also im learning latin, cuz we have to learn the body parts, cells, etc in latin.

Darkslidex7
March 21st, 2017, 05:12 PM
I guess just practice, because where I live, some of my aunts speak in Quechua and Aymara (I only understand Aymara, dont really speak the language) so with my friends and parents I speak Spanish and with my cousins in English :D

bigwolf2
March 26th, 2017, 02:35 PM
I use Portuguese, Spanish and English (because of foreign language classes) at school. I also speak the three fluently, and I use English in a daily basis. So, sometimes, I do not know how describe something in Portuguese, so I describe in Spanish or English (and people usually understand), and vice versa.

gdude
January 4th, 2018, 02:01 AM
I consider myself fluent in 3 language haha english spanish and spanglish

nebula
January 4th, 2018, 02:11 AM
I consider myself fluent in 3 language haha english spanish and spanglish

Please do not bump threads with over 2 months of inactivity. :locked: