PDA

View Full Version : 6 dead in terrorist attack at Quebec City Mosque

mattsmith48
January 30th, 2017, 01:23 AM
Quebec provincial police say six people are dead and eight were wounded after shots were fired inside a mosque on Sunday night during evening prayers.

Sûreté du Québec Sgt. Christine Coulombe says the victims range in age from 35 to 70.

Thirty-nine people escaped the Islamic cultural centre of Quebec in the Sainte-Foy neighbourhood without injuries, according to Coulombe.

Both Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and the Quebec government have called the shooting an act of terrorism.

Earlier in the evening, Quebec City Police Const. Étienne Doyon said mostly men were gathered inside the mosque when the shooting began just before 8 p.m.

At the moment of the attack, the men were praying on the ground floor of the building, while women and children were upstairs.

Two suspects have been arrested, one of whom was apprehended after a chase that ended near l'île d'Orléans.

A large perimeter has been set up around the mosque.

Quebec City Police said they are working with the RCMP and the Quebec provincial police. At 10:40 p.m. police said the "situation is under control."

"The building is secure and the occupants evacuated. The investigation continues,"Quebec City Police tweeted.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-city-mosque-gun-shots-1.3957686

This is what happens when you propagate lies and hate towards a certain group

Update: there was 6 dead and 19 were injured, 14 of them have been release from the hospital, 5 are still in critical condition. The suspect is Alexandre Bissonette, a 27 year old student at Universite Laval, hes set to appear to court later today, the other men arrested last night is now considered a witness.

PlasmaHam
January 31st, 2017, 10:25 PM
I am going to wait for more information before passing judgment. There is conflicting information regarding the motives and attackers, and while it might make sense to assume that this is a right-wing radical, we still cannot be sure given the limited information given. Note that I am not being a hypocrite by saying this, I said something very similar in regards to the German truck attack a few weeks back.

I also find it so intriguing that you say that we shouldn't blame a whole group of people for the actions of a few in regards to Islam, yet completely ignore that when it comes to Trump and his supporters.

Dalcourt
January 31st, 2017, 11:04 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-city-mosque-gun-shots-1.3957686

This is what happens when you propagate lies and hate towards a certain group

I also find it so intriguing that you say that we shouldn't blame a whole group of people for the actions of a few in regards to Islam, yet completely ignore that when it comes to Trump and his supporters.

The above quote is about is the only personal statement mattsmith48 added to the whole thing. I don't see how this blames Trump supporters?

Anyway it is very sad what happened there. A useless killing of innocent people.

bentheplayer
January 31st, 2017, 11:07 PM
PlasmaHam The only reason people say its only the acts of a few is cos we really can't be bothered to go into the debate on how Islam is being used as a smokescreen to justify such acts. The kind of "Islam" that radicals use isn't the mainstream kind and those in control are simply exploiting these terror runners. Besides the western media rarely makes such distinctions when the aim is to sensationalize these stories. Not that there is much point in analyzing these issues when people refuse to accept the facts anyways.

In fact in most countries before 911, domestic terrorism was the biggest problem most countries faced. Actually, statistically, right wing extremist militia conduct more attacks than ISIS but somehow these info is usually under reported.

Anyways, it is most likely that guy is a right wing radical. Here are some links to the supposed evidence.
https://theintercept.com/2017/01/30/suspect-in-quebec-mosque-attack-quickly-depicted-as-a-moroccan-muslim-hes-a-white-nationalist/
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/quebec-city-mosque-attack-suspect-known-for-right-wing-online-posts/article33833044

rioo
February 1st, 2017, 07:22 AM
this really sad, because people go to mosque for praying. Especially in muslim you need around 5 or 10 minutes for praying. But someone shooting from behind? that really bad.
I cannot tolerate someone who shooting people from behind while they r praying. Is there any gun control there?

bentheplayer
February 1st, 2017, 07:35 AM
Apparently he is currently being charged with murder and attempted murder for now instead of terrorism due to the way terrorism is defined by Canadian law among other reasons. However, this would be an interesting case to watch and see how the prosecutors will proceed. The political dimensions and implications of a terror charge would potentially be huge.

Is there any gun control there?

While it is generally stricter than the US, it is still quite easy to obtain illegal arms or illegally modify legal arms in Canada.

auser_name
February 1st, 2017, 11:40 AM
This is a very sad event. No man, woman or child should be hurt because of their beliefs or lifestyles. I do not look favourably upon religion but I would never consider committing such a heinous crime. This said, we do not know the motives of the attackers. This could be a personal issue, so it would be unfair to blame any particular person for causing this other than the attackers themselves. But I do feel I must mention that we as humanity must not allow ourselves to become corrupt but another mans ignorant and racist opinions that clearly have no place in todays very accepting and diverse society. We must stand as one against these extremists no matter what form they take. Wether it be the twisted interpretation of a religion that preaches peace, or corrupting speeches of an odious politician.