PDA

View Full Version : Detentions

heresjohnny
January 30th, 2017, 12:19 AM
What's your school policy regarding detentions? Have you ever had any?

For us, you get five school days to serve it. Detentions are either 45 minutes before school or an hour after. (I think the after school ones go from 3:15 to 4, which allow people time to get their things, use the restroom, etc.) You can choose if you want before or after. If you miss part of practice due to a detention, the coach and/or athletic director can determine if you run extra or not start or sit out a game or whatever.

If you fail to serve in five days or if you get a certain number in a period of time, you get a "Saturday School" which is Saturday AM and you go and help them clean the desks or wash the floors or pick up trash, etc.

Detentions can carry over holidays but generally don't carry over between academic years. (I'd imagine they'd just say to get another school.)

Endeavour
January 30th, 2017, 12:30 AM
You're told when and where it is. You don't get a choice. You tend to get a detention at a break and lunch first, then if you miss that you have an hour after school detention. Things like uncorrect uniform, lateness and missing equipment puts you on the "red card" , which is basically 30 minute detention on a Friday lunchtime.

I've never had a detention though.

bentheplayer
January 30th, 2017, 07:31 AM
Detentions in my previous school was mainly given for perceived infractions of tardiness like being late, untidily dressed, "forgetting" homework too many times etc. Being late was the worse since we had to report to one particular member of staff early each morning over the course of the next few days. If we were late for more than 3 times per term, we would get a detention and the number will increase exponentially for each subsequent lateness in theory.

I used to be late for quite a number of times since I hate mornings. >.< But somehow I was able to escape with doing just 1 detention. That guy in charge was somewhat elitist so he usually only comes down hard on people who don't perform as expected academically. He has the ability to decide whether to uphold the detention or simply "forget" about it and what the detention entails. The detention I did was a mere token 45mins after school where I could do anything as long as I don't leave the desk. Didn't seem like much of a punishment anyway since I just did my homework for that day. I have heard that he had made certain students run/clean the school grounds and toilet before. It is kinda a game of chance really.

erik2000
January 30th, 2017, 06:33 PM
There is no detention in the school where I live. If kids misbehave teachers just send a note to parents. Or if something very serious happens they can fire the kid but I've never heard of such.
Parents have to sign the note. My parents always punish me with the belt or the cane for it.

Phosphene
January 30th, 2017, 10:32 PM
At my school, detentions are usually during lunch. There's one specific teacher who they're with, but in rare cases the teacher of the class a student made the offense in will give the detention instead. You get them for things like being late to a class 3 times, disrespecting a student, teacher or anyone else of authority, that kind of thing. I even have a teacher who gives a tardy if you use the bathroom so those add up the same way as if you were actually late to class. I've never gotten a detention.

City Kid
February 3rd, 2017, 06:15 PM
Detentions aren't a thing here in Germany. If you fuck up you get a warning called a Tadel and if you get several of them they simply force you to switch schools. That's it.

Darkslidex7
March 21st, 2017, 05:28 PM
My school is quite harsh in my opinion, if you're not following the dress code it's 1000 squats and a 1st warning, it duplicates as you add more infractions, for small things like that you get 3 warnings on the 3rd you get suspended for a week and give far more hw than those that are in class; but if you make a pretty bad one such as eating in class, cheating or misbehavior, you get expelled from the school forever. And it's just like soccer clubs, the last 5 students with the lowest grades get kicked out for that year until you get above As and. Bs in another school kind of like a relegation zone in leagues.

Jinglebottom
March 25th, 2017, 10:26 AM
My school doesn't give out detentions, but if you regularly misbehave in class you could get a warning ("un avertissement") at the end of the trimester, which comes in an envelope that has to be signed by parents. You can also receive a warning over bad grades/unsatisfactory work. Once you accumulate three warnings of any kind, you're out. But if you fuck up really bad then you can get suspended or expelled, it depends. When the teacher kicks you out of their class, you know you're screwed cause you're supposed to pay the principal a visit, but most just hang out in the halls instead. I've never gotten kicked out before! (okay.. maybe once). :P