PDA

View Full Version : Catching up with an old friend

CreativeUsername
January 27th, 2017, 12:36 PM
A little bit of background. Over the past few years I've been dealing with some very difficult anxiety. Switching between regular school and home school a few times. Last time I was at a regular school, I realized I didn't really like any of my friends, and then it seemed like they didn't like me. Realizing I didn't have friends I wanted to be friends with, and the fact that I wasn't doing that well in school caused me to have a panic attack and I switched to home school again. Looking back I can see it might have been a mistake to leave, but it doesn't matter now. I just started at a small private school (so far I'm liking it). But I'm still relatively new, and getting used to it, and I don't really have any friends there yet. I've got basically one friend I've been friends with for a long time, and that's about it. Now onto the situation at hand.

So back around Christmas, I ran into a friend I hadn't seen since 5th grade graduation at the gym. Let's call her H. We chatted, she found me on social media and we chatted some more, catching up, etc. In the beginning she said something like, "Let me know if you want to go for a run and catch up." I didn't follow up with that at the time, because I had family in town, and then I was starting at my new school, things were just busy for me. Now things care calming own for me, and I've got more time. But the conversation has died down as well. I'm not sure if the time has passed, or if the extent of the friendship is going to be liking each others posts on Instagram. When it comes to picking up social cues, or social situations in general sometimes, I could easily fit in with the "TOTALLY NOT ROBOTS" community. So I don't really know what to do. I don't want to seem desperate for a friend or anything like that.

Phosphene
January 27th, 2017, 01:40 PM
CreativeUsername You didn't say your age so I'm not sure how long it's been since you and this friend last saw each other. It may be harder to rekindle the friendship the longer you've been apart, but I think there's a good chance you could if you wanted to since she was the one who sought you out on social media and brought up getting together. If you do reach out again, you should explain why you didn't take her up on her offer to hang out before so she doesn't think it was a lack of interest. I'm also glad to hear you're enjoying the new school and I hope you can make new friends there as well!

jamie_n5
January 30th, 2017, 08:21 PM
Hey man I think you are over thinking all of this. Just start talking to her and catch up on what has been going on in each others lives and just go on from there. Don't worry so much about the past but look to the future my friend.