PDA

View Full Version : Three dead in Melbourne carnage


Gumleaf
January 20th, 2017, 02:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJQ9K6-CEBY <<<<Ten Eyewitness News Melbourne story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZvTLPGj9QA <<<<Nine News Melbourne footage


Police pursuit through Melbourne CBD
January 20, 2017 1:46pm
Andie Hamblin, Padraic Murphy, Mark Buttler
Herald Sun


A CHILD is among three people killed, while doctors are fighting to save a three-month-old baby injured in the wild police chase through Melbourne’s CBD.

A man and woman aged in their 30s were also killed, while 20 people were injured when the car ploughed into crowds in Bourke St Mall.

Police shot the driver before arresting him. Homicide detectives are yet to interview the 26-year-old as he remains in custody in hospital.

Police are unclear of the man’s motives but are certain it was not a terror event

Police have established a hotline for concerned friends and relatives on 1800 727 077.

Royal Children’s hospital has confirmed surgeons are currently operating on the three-month-old infant.

A two-year-old has also been moved into the RCH’s intensive care unit.

Premier Daniel Andrew applauded the efforts of emergency services and everyday Victorians who rushed to help victims.

“Our hearts are breaking this afternoon … but we can be confident that we are stronger than this evil, criminal act,” he said.

He also appealed to Victorians to remain patient while police investigated the actions leading up to the fatal actions of the man in custody.

———————————————

WHAT WE KNOW SO FAR

* 1.30pm: Emergency services flooded with calls with reports of a car doing burnouts across tram tracks outside Flinders Street Station which was then chased by police up Swanston streets.

* 1.40 pm: That car, red or maroon-coloured Holden, then allegedly struck a number of pedestrians in the vicinity of Bourke and Queens Streets and then into Bourke Street Mall.

* 2.20pm: Reports of shots fired, person pulled from car on William Street.

* 2.30pm: Ambulance Victoria says they are treating 20 people in Bourke Street, many of them with serious injuries.

* 2.30pm: Victoria Police release statement confirming the situation has been “contained”, one person arrested and another dead.

* 3.20pm: Police confirm at press conference that three people have died and the incident was not terror related.

* 5.20pm: The three killed were a man and woman aged in their 30s, and a child

———————————————

Victoria’s Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton confirmed the man arrested over the incident is well-known to police.

Mr Ashton said the man had no links to terrorist activity but had an extensive criminal history linked to family violence.

“He has come to our attention on many occasions in the past,” Mr Ashton said.

“That is mainly linked to drug issues and mental health problems.

“He also came into our attention in recent days in relation to assaults and was charged by use last weekend.”

A Victoria Police statement said: “Police shot the man who was the sole occupant of the vehicle and he received bullet wounds.”

“Police understand the incident is linked to a stabbing that took place in Windsor early this morning (20 January) involving parties known to one another.”

“Following this incident, it is alleged the same man took a woman, who is known to him, hostage in his car.

“She managed to escape from the car on the Bolte Bridge earlier today.”

Among the injured in hospital are a nine-year with limb injuries is being treated in one of the hospital’s wards, while a 12-year-old is being assessed in it’s emergency department and a 23-year-old was treated for limb injuries.

Emergency surgeons at the Royal Melbourne Hospital are also operating on two adults run down in the incident.

Three critically injured patients have been placed in the Royal Melbourne’s intensive care unit, among 11 taken to the hospital.

A further five patients have been taken to The Alfred hospital, including three in a critical but stable condition.

The other two patients are listed as being a serious condition.

More patients are expected to arrive at Melbourne’s trauma centres in the coming hours.

Emergency staff the at Royal Children’s Hospital were so busy treating four injured children from the incident the hospital issued a social media request for parents of less urgent patients to reconsider bringing them for treatment.

More patients are expected to arrive at Melbourne’s trauma centres in the coming hours.

Ambulance officers were called to reports of a stabbing in Raleigh St, Windsor, almost 12 hours before the CBD rampage.

When they arrived, at 2.15am, whoever was at the scene had left.

A statement from Victoria Police said: “At this early stage it is believed a man driving a vehicle has struck a number of pedestrians in the vicinity of Bourke and Queen streets just before 2pm.

“Emergency services are assisting multiple patients but at least one person has been confirmed deceased.

“Pedestrian access has been closed on Bourke Street between William and Swanston Streets.

“The exact circumstances surrounding the incident are yet to be determined and we will provide further information when it comes to hand.

“Police request that people avoid the area.
“The situation is now contained.”

An Ambulance Victoria statement said: “A number of people were struck by a car just before 1.40pm.

“A number of those have serious injuries.

“Ambulance Victoria has numerous ambulances and managers at the scene.”

Witnesses have told the Herald Sun at the scene that the car drove along Swanston St, and left into Bourke St Mall where it struck several people.

It was said to be a red or maroon-coloured Holden.

Video seen on social media channels shows a man in a red car doing circles outside Flinders Street Station.

Witnesses reported seeing the car later travel up the hill towards Queen St, at times mounting the footpath to strike pedestrians.

A homeless man said he tried to tend to a stricken woman hit on Bourke St.

“I was trying to hold the hand of a woman who went over his car,” he said.

“It was chaos.”

Buildings at 600 and 570 Bourke streets were put into lockdown.

A number of unmarked Police cars and a police helicopter were deployed.

Heavily armed officers were also patrolling the streets.

Members of the Victoria Police Critical Incident Response team and officers from suburban stations were also called in for one of the city’s biggest incidents in recent years.

Emergency services were flooded with calls about 1.30pm.

One witness said some of those at the scene were in tears about what unfolded.

He said police were stopping people leaving the RACV Club.

That man said a car was trying to escape police when the incident happened.

“I heard a thump and thought they’d hit something. Now I know it was people,” he said.

Police from across the city converged on the scene within minutes.

People ran for their lives as the driver sped through busy and oncoming traffic, narrowly missing pedestrians.

Uniquemind
January 28th, 2017, 06:45 PM
Police really need to develop a tool they can shoot onto a car's hood and commandeer the vehicle like on the Fast and Furious movies.

It would shut down car chases pretty quickly without tragedies like this.