PDA

View Full Version : Chelsea Manning 35 Year Sentence Commuted By Pres. Obama

Falcons_11
January 17th, 2017, 11:19 PM
President Obama has commuted the 35 year sentence she is serving at Fort Leavenworth, KS. She will be released on or about May 17, 2017. She was convicted 6 years ago for releasing classified documents while serving in the U.S. Army.

buriedalive
January 18th, 2017, 12:24 AM
Good. I hope they can figure out how to pardon Snowden too.

Voice_Of_Unreason
January 18th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Bradley Manning actions threatened the lives of US soldiers in a hostile environment. Releasing him is just going to justify his actions and encourage future acts of treason against the US Military.

It is also very curious that the Democrats are pardoning one of the worst acts of treason and leaking of documents in recent history, yet are also now suddenly saying that leaking of realitivly harmless DNC documents is totally unacceptable and should face serious political actions. Hypocrites I do say.

Dalcourt
January 18th, 2017, 11:04 AM
President Obama has commuted the 35 year sentence she is serving at Fort Leavenworth, KS. She will be released on or about May 17, 2017. She was convicted 6 years ago for releasing classified documents while serving in the U.S. Army.

I was quite sure Obama would pull something like that.

Living For Love
January 18th, 2017, 11:44 AM
It is also very curious that the Democrats are pardoning one of the worst acts of treason and leaking of documents in recent history, yet are also now suddenly saying that leaking of realitivly harmless DNC documents is totally unacceptable and should face serious political actions. Hypocrites I do say.
Exactly my thoughts. Liberal hypocrisy knows no limits.

Porpoise101
January 18th, 2017, 06:52 PM
First up, I'm not really that passionate about this issue and I only really heard about the Manning issue until the last few months or so.
Bradley Manning actions threatened the lives of US soldiers in a hostile environment.

Not true, while it could have done so, the fact is that even the lawyer who prosecuted Manning could not actually attribute any human or monetary damage to the leaker. Only thing the military lost was some public opinion points.

Releasing him is just going to justify his actions and encourage future acts of treason against the US Military.

No, that's not how pardons and commutations work. They aren't meant to establish any precedent, that is the function of the courts. Instead, they are meant to be issued in exceptional circumstances. Manning's case was exceptional in that damage was limited.

Let's see. Someone shows that the army is doing bad things in one situation. In the other, a foreign power antagonistic to us has been shown to influence the politics of our country and our allies. Not even close.

The thing to understand is that Manning was far less harmful than Snowden.

buriedalive
January 18th, 2017, 09:05 PM
Chelsea Manning isn't the bad one, it's the government for killing civilians (which is what she leaked). So you guys are okay with your tax money going to murder?

Let's also remember she was tortured (confined 23 out of 24 hours of the day, didn't get a pillow, couldn't exercise)

Flapjack
January 19th, 2017, 04:36 PM
Bradley Manning actions threatened the lives of US soldiers in a hostile environment. Releasing him is just going to justify his actions and encourage future acts of treason against the US Military.

Finally!! Also I am not sure how he endangered US civilians? He exposed the government for lying about civilian casualties and exposed the reality of war.

Uniquemind
January 19th, 2017, 04:45 PM
Obama refused to pardon or commute Snowden.

He has good grounds as to why.

Idk what Pres-elect Trump feels about Snowden, but perhaps he will pardon Snowden if he likes Snowden or feels what he did was patriotic.

It'll be controversial for sure.

Stronk Serb
January 20th, 2017, 01:39 AM
Obama said he would protect whistleblowers. Well, out of the ten people tried under the Espionage act, 7 were tried under the Obama administration. Well, rejoice, Trump is moving into the White House!