PDA

View Full Version : Allowance?

AnonymousDutchie
January 17th, 2017, 07:37 PM
Hi,

Im a 15 year old boy living in the Netherlands (Amsterdam).
I was wondering if I get the average allowance. I get 15$ a month, with this I can buy whatever I want, although it isn't a lot in my opinion.

My parents say they will give me money if I need to buy clothes etc. but I feel like I'm spending their money then. And they don't want to give me a bigger amount if I were to buy my own clothes.

Is this fair?
And what do your parents expect you to use your allowance on?

Amethyst Rose
January 17th, 2017, 10:23 PM
I used to get allowance more regularly, but now that I'm older it's not as often and I don't really mind. My parents never had any guidelines for what I spent it on and the amount varied depending on how much they could afford to give. Even though I don't get it as often now, they (my dad in particular) insist on pitching in for whatever I buy with my own money... I understand they're trying to be nice, but I'm a big girl :P

Just JT
January 17th, 2017, 11:36 PM
I don't really get an allowance. I do have some money in the bank I can get out when I need some with my ATM card. But I usually don't need much. And I got a cash stash in my lock box in my room that nobody knows about as a just in case kinda stash lol. If I need new clothes or something kinda big or expensive I can't get out of the bank ($50 limit) we talk about it.

I guess it's fair it's my money so...

Jinglebottom
January 18th, 2017, 12:38 AM
I get $100 per month, but I don't usually spend much of it.

Periphery
January 18th, 2017, 01:29 AM
I get nothing from my parents, 5 from grandma each sunday. The thing is my parents usually buy me stuff so it compensates

devotionnel
January 18th, 2017, 01:47 AM
I get no extra regular allowance, but I need bus fare and lunch money every day and there is usually a surplus. It all adds up to about $100 a month.

If I ever need stuff such as school supplies or clothes my mum will give me the money to go and get it.

ClaraWho
January 18th, 2017, 08:12 AM
Now I live with my brother our parents pay him my stipend which covers food, household items, clothes, bills, etc. (So it is quite a lot). My be brother then gave me his spare bank card. I'm not a wild spender though, ev n though money isn't an issue should we need it luckily.

~ Clara

Hideous
January 18th, 2017, 12:49 PM
I get $180 a month and I know I am very spoiled af, but I like to spend it on family or friends whether that be gifts or taking them out to eat. Other times, I use to purchase more makeup lol.

BlackParadePixie
January 18th, 2017, 06:08 PM
I don't really get a set amount...I do chores around the house and I do some work for my mom, she pays me hourly for that. Other than that my parents usually just give me money if I need it.

Barbara.
January 18th, 2017, 06:33 PM
I don't get allowance anymore now that I'm older. But instead of allowance mom pays my mobile phone bill and feeds and clothes and a roof over my head and return i babysit my baby brother while she is at work.

Bontigo Papi .
January 19th, 2017, 09:17 AM
I don't get an allowance , I just ask and hopefully , I get .

Endeavour
January 19th, 2017, 11:52 AM
I don't get an allowance as such, but my parents do pay my phone bill and anything else that I desperately need in the month, such as stuff for school etc. I do wish they would give me like a 'proper' allowance though because I feel that it makes you more independent being able to manage your own money, instead of relying on others to do it for you.

mick01
January 19th, 2017, 12:25 PM
I work during the summer and put the money in the bank. That's my spending money for the school year. But my parents pay for anything else I need, phone, clothes, lunches and stuff.

Uranus
January 19th, 2017, 02:07 PM
I used to get an allowance, but ever since I've had a job, or two, I get my own money which I'm satisfied with

The Byrd
January 20th, 2017, 05:36 PM
I don't get given a regular amount because I don't need it. My dad gives me like 5 or 10 a week depending on how much change he has. He also buys me LOTS of food because I'm a pig. Whenever I need something I just ask my mum or dad for the money to get it because I hardly need anything so they don't mind.

everlong
January 20th, 2017, 07:11 PM
I used to get about $20 a month, I don't get an allowance anymore.

Flapjack
January 23rd, 2017, 05:44 PM
I get 10 a day but I have to get school lunch out of that so it is like 7 a day allowance? Really need more now I am nearly 18 XD Want to get a job but like effortttt :')

Falcons_11
January 26th, 2017, 06:14 PM
My parents pay all my expenses. So I don't get a set allowance every month. But they do give me money to cover my weekly spending money for things at school, the mall, and playground. These things vary from week to week. But it usually comes out to around $10 to $15 a week. I don't have any credit cards, bank account, or set allowance. If I need to buy clothes, sports stuff, movie tickets, I have to ask my parents. This summer I hope to get a summer job with a cousin who cleans swimming pools to make a little extra cash.

mike2003
January 26th, 2017, 08:35 PM
Yeah I mostly just get money if I need it for something specific, I don't get fixed amounts of cash at any special interval. I try to be reasonable about what I'm asking for.

City Kid
February 3rd, 2017, 05:23 PM
I get 190 (205$) a month, but I have to pay everything by myself, except for things like electricity and water (and my mum usually lets me eat some of her food).

messid
February 3rd, 2017, 10:00 PM
My parents stopped giving me one once I started working last summer, but that's okay because it wasn't much anyways :p I got $15 a week, that's it

MaeFae
February 9th, 2017, 07:29 PM
I feel like at your age it should be between 20-30 especially since it's once a month. I have nothing to relate it to though :c never had an allowance.

pjones
February 11th, 2017, 04:11 PM
i get $100 a month. that pays for lunch at school and any activities i want to do, like going to the mall, movies or out to eat

Microcosm
February 11th, 2017, 06:47 PM
As kids or young adults, assuming we are dedicated and ambitious in academics and extracurricular activities as a means to a better future, it is of no doubt to me that parents ought to reward us for our efforts in some fashion other than bare necessities like food, clothing, housing, etc. especially when we have reached the point where such things may be taken mostly for granted in day-to-day life. It is important, however, to realize that parents who struggle to make such an effective income as to provide this luxury of reward should not be expected to provide this money as it would likely cause problems paying for those necessities. Allowance is thus a luxury justified conditionally by parental income. For most middle class families, however, I do believe it is possible to throw some money the way of the child who does well to support himself and to grow his mind.

katie3
February 12th, 2017, 06:27 PM
I don't get any allowance, my parents usually buy me the stuff I need, or I will simply ask my sister for things my parents wouldn't buy me.

Dmaxd123
March 8th, 2017, 01:55 PM
i got an allowance until i was about 10, then it was if you want money you do your chores

the more chores i did the more money they would pay me

IzzyB
March 25th, 2017, 11:43 AM
I get $10 a week for doing a set of chores, and a bonus $10 for doing a lot!

clobo
March 25th, 2017, 03:27 PM
I get 50 each month from my mum and dad but I see my grandparents each week and get 5 so I get about 90 in total. I do save a lot of it tbh. x