PDA

View Full Version : Is straight but curious part of growing up?

datboijoey
January 14th, 2017, 03:40 PM
When people say they're straight but curious, are they trying something that other people don't do or is this a normal thing for teenagers? Like does every teenager have a "phase"? Since I'm gay I don't know the difference ahaha!!

pjones
January 14th, 2017, 06:34 PM
i think it's pretty normal for most everyone, even if they don't act on their curiosity. just wanting to know if your development/body is "normal" can be as far as it goes. doesn't have to always be curious about doing something sexual

yngbijockVT
January 14th, 2017, 07:33 PM
i'm pretty sure it's normal man.

ska8er
January 14th, 2017, 07:49 PM
I agree with pjones above. I consider myself
Straight/Curious til I figure out where these
feelings of getting turned on by guys take me.
I do think once I do figure this out I will be Bi
tho-Idk. Never thought of having anything
physical with a guy but if a guy made a pass
at me I think I would reciprocate. As for other
teens Idk if it is normal. I would say that a
forum like this one can say openly what their
feelings are but in my experience with friends
and teens my age I have not heard of anyone
stating that they r Curious or Bi hoping I guess
that they could scope someone out without
declaring so. Really all of this orientation
thing sucks-y can we all b ourselves?

pconnor
January 14th, 2017, 10:19 PM
I consider myself curious.

Dalcourt
January 15th, 2017, 12:23 AM
Since I'm gay I wouldn't know...but from what I get it's a big deal for a lot of straight guys. I guess it's more about learning about how male sexuality works than actually wanting to be with another man.

pjones
January 15th, 2017, 09:38 AM
Since I'm gay I wouldn't know...but from what I get it's a big deal for a lot of straight guys. I guess it's more about learning about how male sexuality works than actually wanting to be with another man.

this is a really great observation, learning about male sexuality. i think that's really important and VT is a great place to express yourself without shame if you have these worries and questions.

ZigZagg
January 15th, 2017, 11:02 AM
From what i know that pretty normal

zack.zack
January 15th, 2017, 12:51 PM
Being gay and coming out at such an early age, I wouldnt know, but I would say its normal based on the fact that many of my straight friends have talked about going through that themselves.

datboijoey
January 16th, 2017, 12:01 AM

I didn't know that's what it meant. So they're asking questions about sexuality?

swiftshadowolf
January 16th, 2017, 12:05 AM
Its completely normal, during the teenage phase, we just want to find out who we are and what we like, experimentation is completely normal, humans are naturally curious.

countryplowboy
January 30th, 2017, 11:21 PM
Totally normal...happens to most of us

mick01
February 1st, 2017, 11:04 AM
I'm beginning to think that there are a lot more "straight" guys out there who are curious than we would ever guess. Right now, I am doing stuff with 2 guys on my basketball team (so 3 guys out of 12 on the team) who insist they are straight. I just don't think straight guys do the stuff that we do together. So I believe that we all have the potential to be bi to some degree.

Hermes
February 4th, 2017, 06:40 PM
I guess most of us have experienced the attitude from others that "straight" means you have zero interest in the bodies of other guys and even look the other way if you should see one naked and declare how ugly penises are. I think we also know that this version of "straight" doesn't seem to apply to most teens as checking each other out, at least, is pretty normal and quite a few guys to a little further than that.

How much this fades with age I don't know. I do remember someone mentioned this YouGov survey (https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/08/16/half-young-not-heterosexual/) in which many people said they were not 100% straight and the youngest age group, 18-24 y/o has the most people who said this. Unfortunately this doesn't tell us whether that is a direct affect of age, i.e. a phase, or whether it is just that people are now more aware that sexuality is not a dichotomy and are less concerned about being judged.

Either way, though, it doesn't seem to me to be something to get worried about. What you probably want to know is who you should be looking for as a partner and if the people you are attracted to as potential partners are of the opposite sex that is staight enough not to make any material difference.

ilc.69
February 9th, 2017, 11:35 AM
Some people have that phase, and I think others dont. Even though, I think pretty much everyone goes through it sooner or later

Just JT
February 9th, 2017, 01:21 PM
Like Hermes said it best. There's no black,or white. We're all different, and explore/learn about this stuff differently as you grow. How much stays with you all depends on you and your likes. And any combo is fine

veroda
February 25th, 2017, 08:06 PM
I thought curious literally meant curious :confused:

pjones
February 26th, 2017, 01:55 PM
I thought curious literally meant curious :confused:

well it does. some use it to describe their sexuality i think as they either aren't sure, or feel one way but really want to explore the other way without coming out and saying so. at least i did when i was younger

kyrocks03
February 26th, 2017, 02:26 PM
There isn't a black and white answer to this at all. I'm gay and have known for sometime and identify as such. I actually am going to go out on a limb here and say that those who say they are straight but curious are trying to defend their straightness by saying it was curiosity that drove them to put a penis in their mouth. No one is 100% straight or 100% gay. It's a continuum and honestly, I don't see why it really matters other than for boys who want to justify the fact that they had a gay interaction with another boy.

TWDjacob
February 27th, 2017, 09:21 PM
i think most teens go through this phase because they want to see how they match up to everyone else

scott2002
April 10th, 2017, 05:46 AM
When people say they're straight but curious, are they trying something that other people don't do or is this a normal thing for teenagers?
I'm 15, and have enjoyed seeing other boys naked for as long as I can remember. With puberty, that enjoyment grew to finding some boys 'cute' and attractive in ways that girls would find them that way, too. But sexually, for me it always centered on their genitalia. I've never 'made out' with another boy (kissing, hugging, cuddling, holding hands), nor have I ever had any desire to. Likewise, no desire at all to have a male 'life partner'.

So that's pretty much why I've considered myself to be 'straight but curious'.

Vegas2933
April 10th, 2017, 05:56 AM
That is perfeclty logical. Everyone goes through phases. You're at a phase where you find both sexes attractive, you'll either grow out of it, or stick with it. But no matter which one ends up happening, you'll always be YOU. :)

PlasmaHam
April 11th, 2017, 12:40 AM
Depending on the person, you often don't develop your natural sense of attraction until you are well into puberty. Until that happens, there often is curiosity about romantic and sexual relationships and how you line up. For me personally, while I never experienced gay questioning, I didn't develop a romantic sense of attraction towards girls until I was around 15. So I will say that curiosity around attraction is a natural stage in life, and that you will eventually find your way.

mookie
April 13th, 2017, 07:26 PM
I'm curious about boy's penises and what it would be like to have fun with another boy. Don't think I'm gay or bi, just want to try stuff I guess. Maybe I'll like it and maybe I won't

LRSSS02
April 17th, 2017, 07:00 PM
its totally normal

SethfromMI
April 17th, 2017, 07:16 PM
i think it's pretty normal for most everyone, even if they don't act on their curiosity. just wanting to know if your development/body is "normal" can be as far as it goes. doesn't have to always be curious about doing something sexual

this is a great answer. I am going to assume most guys at least ask or think a few curious questions/thoughts about guys, even if they do not act on them and grow out of them/not interested in it anymore.

Nico1715
April 17th, 2017, 10:40 PM
It normal and a lot of people like to experiment new thing

KatieCO2003
April 23rd, 2017, 11:00 AM
There isn't a black and white answer to this at all. .

I'm feeling that way too. Usually, I have a really strong desire for guys, but sometimes I have a really strong desire to be with a girl and just experience that and see what its like. IDK, I've never had a boyfriend or girlfriend. I'm just saying that in my own head, things aren't all one way and I have a desire to try a lot of things.

jerrion
April 24th, 2017, 11:04 AM
When people say they're straight but curious, are they trying something that other people don't do or is this a normal thing for teenagers? Like does every teenager have a "phase"? Since I'm gay I don't know the difference ahaha!!

i believe that it is a phase that every boy and girl pass through puberty and its the time that you deside wheather you like girls boys or both