PDA

View Full Version : Why is "being on the dole" stigmatised?

devotionnel
January 9th, 2017, 01:16 PM
As the question says above.

In the UK, certain requirements such as being unemployed, being a single parent or being disabled means that you're entitled to more money by the government (fresh taxpayer money) in order to actually be able to care for yourself and others in the household.

Now, if we are equally entitled to this money given the circumstance, why are people less inclined to take that free money?

Uniquemind
January 9th, 2017, 02:27 PM
People don't like strings attached to "help".

Given individualistic culture, it runs counter to that.

The stigma is even worse in the USA, that doesn't even have an NHS.

devotionnel
January 9th, 2017, 04:01 PM
People don't like strings attached to "help".

Okay, that I can understand. But there's people out there letting their kids or themselves starve or have an extremely poor quality of life just because they won't accept help... That part I don't seem to understand as much.

The stigma is even worse in the USA, that doesn't even have an NHS.

The NHS is extremely unreliable; it's a lot less hassle to just go to a private practitioner. :lol:

PlasmaHam
January 9th, 2017, 06:38 PM
Many people don't like the idea of depending on the government.

Uniquemind
January 9th, 2017, 10:10 PM
Okay, that I can understand. But there's people out there letting their kids or themselves starve or have an extremely poor quality of life just because they won't accept help... That part I don't seem to understand as much.

The NHS is extremely unreliable; it's a lot less hassle to just go to a private practitioner. :lol:

Now that's a psychological variable, perhaps biochemical as well.

Issues like these have to be analyzed in layers. (Environmental social layer, personal developmental, and developmental psycho-social ripple effects across generations).

bentheplayer
January 10th, 2017, 01:21 PM
It is due to the 'Scrounger' stigma that the Tory party has been so keen on spreading. It doesn't help that taxes are high in the UK making taxpayers think that people on the dole are lazy and simply take advantage of the system. The daily mail's style of reporting on dole queens don't help too. The media keeps talking about benefit cheats giving the false impression that the system is abused despite official stats of benefit fraud suggesting otherwise.

Personally I think that its largely cos people are just pissed off as no matter how hard they work they don't seem to have much money. In the Uk there is a considerable wealthy elite but a mass of people with either low or average income. Hence they feel pissed that they have to pay for others when they feel poor and barely scraping by themselves.

The NHS supposedly used to be better in the past but now with Jeremy *unt defunding it and doctors leaving there probably won't be much left soon.

Flapjack
January 14th, 2017, 05:11 PM
If I couldn't find work I would have no shame in being on the dole! Especially if I had others depending on me! Contrary to popular belief, no one receiving benefits is living a life of luxury and veryyy few are the lazy stereotype.

As for the people that say they don't like their tax paying for people to live off of whilst they work, I think of it like an insurance scheme that protects you and your family should you ever find yourself in a situation where you cannot work!!