PDA

View Full Version : Surgery

Just JT
January 9th, 2017, 12:38 PM
I was injured thanksgiving weekend snowboarding. Imtore 2 muscles and a tendon in my rotator cuff and am having surgery meet week. I've been out of school a lot and onna lot ot pain meds since. I start PT tomorrow to help build my range of motion before surgery a little. I guess it helps speed recovery up some what.

I'm told I won't be able to move my arm for 6 weeks after surgery and then back to PT till I'm recovered. I'm told I should expect 4-6 months before I can resume regular activity and a full year or so for full recovery.

All that well....no I'm not ok with but I don't have much choice. I spend a lot of time alone, feeling very isolated from like everything in my life. Including participating in snow sports, schools, friends etc. but I think I'll get through that

But I'm really worried about surgery next week. I've been in the hospital plenty for various injuries and broken bones or what ever. I'm not afraid of the pain. I've had worse pain than this but this is just constant like I'm being drilled from my shoulder down my arm all the time. So the pain meds help keep the edge off

What I'm worried about I guess mostly is the surgery itself. I never had a DOCTOR cut open my skin. He's guna drill some holes in my bones and screw little eyelits in and use them to sew everything back in place.

I've been on all kinds of drugs and been pretty comatose plenty. But I've never been out out like they will be doing.

It's just kinda got me worried somewhat so I was wondering if anyone has had any surgery like this or any surgery before. Can you tell me what your experience was like or maybe what to expect? Maybe it's just I don't know what to expect. Even though I been told.

I'd sure like some input if you can offer any....

bentheplayer
January 10th, 2017, 02:57 AM
Maybe you could ask the nurse to explain what they are gonna do if it makes you feel better. All operations are scary and it is normal to feel afraid. Even the adults that I spoke to, during a hospital attachment, who had to go for surgery admitted that they were fearful. Its ok to let the medical taking care of you know your fears so that they can do their best to address it. The team will probably very experienced with helping you with your fear since that is what they do. As for the pre-surgery and post-surgery stuff you might want to ask to speak to the anesthesiologist who will be handling your case. They will be in the best position to advise you what it did be like since they will be the ones sedating you.

You could read this link which roughly covers what might happen. http://newsok.com/article/3882852
Remember that this is just a rough guide as every hospital usually have their own set of protocols. Anyways hope that everything goes alright for you and get well soon.

Just JT
January 10th, 2017, 03:53 AM
Thanks for the reply bentheplayer. I appreciate that

I've read all about the surgery, and talked to the nurses and the doctor a few times. And I know it seems pretty routine. And maybe it's just me being kinda a wimp or something. There's not much that scares me tbh. But this is.

I think it's more the unknown. Yeah I know what the plan is for when I'm under. But what if it don't go as planned?

If something goes wrong? What then?

Yeah I know you and nobody knows that. It's just on my mind.
And it freaks me out is all. Having someone cut me open, letting someone cut me open and do shit to me when I'm out.

That's freaking scary as fuck to me

Mars
January 10th, 2017, 07:02 AM
Mm I feel you, JT. It's freaky to let someone stick their hands and a bunch of metal knives into you. But try not to think about it too much because you'll be unconscious for the operation and won't feel anything or be aware of that stuff. It's freaky to think about, yeah, but it isn't like you're going to feel it in the end. So don't let it get to you.

bentheplayer
January 10th, 2017, 07:44 AM
Yeah its the uncertainty really, I suppose even after doing all your homework on it and picking a surgical team with a good track record, there is still gonna be no guarantee on the outcome. All we can do for now is to hope for the best but be prepared for the worse. If you like, perhaps someone from your church could pray with you and help you through this.

Dalcourt
January 10th, 2017, 10:35 AM
I totally understand how you feel. I mean I had two surgeries on my hand now already and still need PT to make it work again properly. There are still so many things I can't do the way I want and even if the doctors keep telling me I'm fine I'm still afraid my hand will never be 100 %.

I understand the thought of a surgery like that is scary. And telling you that you'll be fine
won't help you much but I'm sure you will be. I was fine so I'm sure it works out for you, too.
And it's perfectly okay to be afraid sometimes.

I'll be thinking of you, keep my fingers crossed, praying for you ,doing some voodoo ritual or whatever else might help you.Okay?

Matryoshkasystem
January 19th, 2017, 10:03 PM
I've went underneath since i was a week old-yes surgeries can and do happen that young-. Truthfully its the quality your getting you should worry about and recovery. Cause it's rebounding that's actually the hardest every time. As long as the doctor knows what their doing, while there is always a risk. This sounds very small-at least compared to what we've been through, and something you should stay calm about. They won't start until their sure your out-if you ar elike me and have a resistance to the stuff they use.

miahere
January 19th, 2017, 10:58 PM
Most important is just stay calm, go with the surgery. Just take each problem one at a time. Once you've had the surgery you'll be back on your feet in no time. Just don't go against the doctor's orders, they know what their doing

Just JT
January 19th, 2017, 11:13 PM
Thanks guys. I had it today. It went well. Wasn't any thing to worry about it seems. Went just as the dr thought, was in, out and home before I knew it. And there's not any pain either. Yet.

I guess (from what I'm told I got a really good Surgeon to. Everyone was great. Postop care is already in place and looks like there on top of everything. I feel really good about it all. Especially as I have no discomfort or pain at all.

And no pain meds at all. And I'm super happy about that. I took 1 yesterday foirst thing in the am. And nothing since then. That's 36 hours. Longest time since thanksgiving. So that's good to.

Thanks everyone.

Dalcourt
January 19th, 2017, 11:20 PM
Thanks guys. I had it today. It went well. Wasn't any thing to worry about it seems. Went just as the dr thought, was in, out and home before I knew it. And there's not any pain either. Yet.

I guess (from what I'm told I got a really good Surgeon to. Everyone was great. Postop care is already in place and looks like there on top of everything. I feel really good about it all. Especially as I have no discomfort or pain at all.

And no pain meds at all. And I'm super happy about that. I took 1 yesterday foirst thing in the am. And nothing since then. That's 36 hours. Longest time since thanksgiving. So that's good to.

Thanks everyone.

Glad to hear everything went so well.

Just JT
January 20th, 2017, 12:49 AM
The doctor even gave me some pictures he took
Soooo....if it's not to weird I'd post some. Not all blood flesh and Jason junk. It's through a scope inside me. It's pretty cool. One shows an anchor that was screwed into my bone and stuff

So lot me know and I'll post some

jamie_n5
January 21st, 2017, 09:16 PM
I am so glad things went well for you. I had mine done 2 years ago. Sorry I didn't see this until now. I could have reassured you. I am glad things are going well. Just make sure to follow doctors orders an do the physical therapy the way they want you to. Good luck buddy and heal up.