PDA

View Full Version : Help to improve my French

Dalcourt
January 6th, 2017, 09:54 AM
I can speak French but basically just some dialect form of it.
I used to have French classes at school but not in recent times anymore. So I feel my grammar and writing to have turned quite poor.

As it looks at the moment I might need your get better at this again soon. Are there any good ways to do this ?

Mars
January 6th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Constantly speak, read, and write in French. Also, I recommend watching movies or shows or videos or listening to music in French. You can look up grammar books in the library or buy them off of the internet for cheap (Ive got a few and a French dictionary for about $20 total before).

Feel free to PM me because I need to work on my French too :lol:

Just JT
January 6th, 2017, 11:58 AM
I have a good friend from here who lives in France. If you'd like, I'll ask him about helping you. He's not very active here, but I think we can figure out how to get past that if interested

Himmm2020
February 2nd, 2017, 04:28 PM
There is the power of the internet, anything from Duolingo to YouTube vids you could listen to during a morning commute. Also if you want to try getting some written school work just look online and you could find entire French workbooks.

Though if you want to get the accent right immersion is the best solution. Vacation in France or another francophone nation and you'll surly pick it up pretty fast.

bentheplayer
February 2nd, 2017, 05:26 PM
With languages, continuous practice is key and if possible do it with native speakers who use the acrolect form of it. Once you stop using a language chances are you will forget it very quickly. It only took me about 6 months of non usage to forget everything I knew on Swedish. If you want to practice writing consider playing games where you need to chat and join those French rooms. I would also suggest reading some French online newspapers and opinion columns regularly to maintain your vocabulary.